Buy now or wait for iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JASApplications, Dec 13, 2010.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Hey,

I'm thinking about buying my Dad an iPad. Do you think I should get him the current model of wait for the next gen to come out?

James

2. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I'd wait. The press today is talking about a possible release in Feb. And it'll have significant new and improved features.

3. Nishi100, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Do you want:

- "flattened display - like iPod Touch / iPhone.
    - 512mb RAM
    - Front / Rear - iMovie? facing cameras.
    - "A5" faster (dual core?) processor - not that it's not fast enough.
    - Gyroscope

If yes, then wait until March; if no then it's up to you, can you wait until March / possibly February?

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

**Sigh**

Another "should I wait" thread. Dude, there are a million threads that give the pros and cons, with some outstanding reasons for and against. The search is your best friend.

5. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Just buy it now

There will always be someone who will buy it off eBay or this forum when the new comes out.

Then take that money and use it towards the new one in a few months

Well, that's my plan anyways :D

Been doing that since the first iPhone

6. Syk macrumors 6502a

I figure Mar/April release. I see it this way I've waited this long whats another month or two to at least hear more solid proof of what's going to be included in Gen 2.

If you buy now and plan to use it for a few months if you decided to sell it to go towards the new one keep in mind that refurbs are now priced even lower. A 16GB wifi model is $429 and carries a one year warranty.

If it's a got to have buy now, if it's a want, I say wait a few more weeks to at least hear more solid rumors of what the iPad2 will have. Another thing after Christmas people are paying off their Christmas bills so come Mar/April they still may not have a lot of free income if they went crazy with their credit cards over the holidays.

7. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok thanks for all the advice. I'm going to wait I think until the iPad 2. :D

8. Syk macrumors 6502a

I just saw you're in the UK. When was the iPad released there originally?

9. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

the same as everywhere else outside the US...

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Everyone else outside the US did not get the iPad at the same time. I think some countries only got the iPad just last month, in November.

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

If you're going to have to wait till Sept before you can get one you may as get one now. If they are released there the same time as the are in the US then I'd probably wait but at the end of the day the choice is up to you.

Some will say if you wait you'll always be waiting, thats true to an extent. I don't like buy tech items when they are close to the refresh cycle but if that item can last you a few cycles and the price is right go for it.

If you think the current ipad is awesome but you would like a camera, then wait and get the Gen2 and skip Gen3

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Don't wait for the 2nd version. Wait for the 3rd. 3rd time is always a charm.

13. boonleng macrumors regular

Don't hold your breath... Get it now. Chances for iPad 2 to appear on February is very slim. I think April is more likely.

14. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

buy now, no saying when the iPad 2 will be out & what changes there will be

15. Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

Always Wait for the second

Dude, you should always wait for the second. The second will always be far better than the first. That is the only reason that I didn't get the first ipad.

16. viizi macrumors regular

If it bothers you that much, don't post in here lol. People obviously don't care that there is a million threads on this topic because they are replying with reasonable answers.

17. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

What is wrong pointing out a feature of this forum? The search feature is a valuable tool that can save time and bandwidth. Sorry that you didn't know that, and my explaining it was not unreasonable. I use the search feature all the time to save from posting repeat topics.

Lol back at cha.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Im in the UK and buying a 2nd hand one tomorrow of a freind.....

I had enough money saved up for a new macbook, but this ipad popped up for £320 (still sealed in the box) so i thought i'd take a punt on it, and sell it on if i dont like it.

I dont genuinely think the new ipad will be out in feb, I think it will be april, ready for the summer....... reason Apple know people will queue for it, but if it comes out in feb it will be bad weather, meaning people wont wait outside whooping and hi-fiving. The apple PR machine will be working overtime to work out the best times for launches now.

19. Syk, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

Syk macrumors 6502a

Weather won't have anything to do with if they wait in line or not. Here in the states we have people who camp out at stores Thanksgiving day in cold weather just to get those Black Friday deals.

Also there was a guy who camped out in Dallas I believe at an Apple Store for a week in 100*+ heat

That said I don't think it'll be Feb. either but I'm guessing mid Mar to April release.

It's been stated that other tablets are coming out around that time and honestly I think Apple wants to steal their thunder. Motorola and RIM both have the money to put on a commerical blitz to keep their item in your face. Android 3.0 is going to be tablet optimized and there are some sleek things coming out that will compete with the iPad. That's another reason I think Apple now sells iPads in Walmart/Sams,Target, BestBuy and that's to get them in a B&M so that people can actually put their hands on one. If a person can go touch one they are more likely to buy.

20. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

It's stupid to buy Apple products at the end of the generation.

If you wanted this iPad, you should have bought it in March.

Now that you waited this long, wait two more months and get the far superior iPad 2.

Trust me, if you get impatient now and buy the iPad 1, you're going to be kicking yourself in Feb.

21. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

I'd wait, iPad 2 should be out in the first quarter of 2011.

22. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

how many of these threads do we need? no one has any idea. its all speculation. if you can wait then wait if not then dont and enjoy it now.

23. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I'm being pessimistic and thinkin' maybe the 2nd quarter....

24. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

How many of these comments do we need? :rolleyes:

25. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

CrAkD is right, buy now or wait until there's a true release date