Buy now or wait for Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WiiDSmoker, Jul 16, 2011.

  1. WiiDSmoker, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

    WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

    WiiDSmoker

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2009
    Location:
    Hermitage, TN
    #1
    Would it be better to go ahead and buy an iMac now or wait for Lion? I'm going to get the 27" iMac / 3.4GHZ Core i7 / 4 GB RAM(upgrade RAM through crucial) / 256GB SSD + 2TB / HD 6970M 2GB DDR.


    My line of thinking is that Lion handles SSD better should a fresh OS install would be better than the upgrade path.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

    SandboxGeneral

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Detroit
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Six of one, half a dozen of the other. It really shouldn't matter. If you need the iMac now, buy it. If not, wait a bit and buy it after they start shipping with 10.7.
     
  3. Sycren macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    #3
    Im also thinking about this, however it would not be a fresh OS install. Lion requires snow leopard to be installed already. I just hope that if I bought in the next few days that I would get a free upgrade with it coming out next week but i am unsure as to how I would get it free.. any ideas?
     
  4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

    SandboxGeneral

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Detroit
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Apple has already said that anyone who buys a Mac between the time they announced Lion (June) and the release date (July) would get Lion free through the Mac App Store. Be sure to register your new Mac so Apple will have a record of when you bought it.
     
  5. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

    SundayDuffer

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2011
    #5
    You can still have fresh install with Lion. Go to show contents, there is a dmg file in there. Just burn the image dmg file on a disc and boot from it.
     
  6. fat jez macrumors 68000

    fat jez

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, UK
    #6
    If you buy it now, you'll get Snow Leopard with it and Lion later as a free download. If you decide Lion isn't for you, you can always roll back to SL. If you wait and buy an iMac that ships with Lion, you won't have that choice.
     
  7. snberk103 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location:
    An Island in the Salish Sea
    #7
    Buy the iMac now. Snow Leopard is a mature product. You will be able to get Lion for free (as noted above). Wait a few weeks for the inevitable bugs in Lion to get ironed out, then upgrade. You will lose nothing by waiting.
     
  8. 0007776 Suspended

    0007776

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #8
    I'd agree with everyone else. You get lion free so no point in waiting for the release.
     
  9. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #9
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Since he is buying directly from Apple, he doesn't have to so anything. He'll be automatically registered upon purchasing it.
     
  10. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #10
    Since Lion is coming this week, I would wait and get a fresh install (actually, since your model is a CTO, it may have Lion on it anyway by the time it is built).
     
  11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2007
    Location:
    North Central Florida
    #11
    I'd buy today so I had the option of SL, but i have a few things i need Rosetta for, so that clouds my thinking.

    Enjoy the new computer either way!!
     
  12. dcrichmond macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2011
    #12
    Get setup - after much research, I am also looking to buy this exact configuration. I do plan to add the magic trackpad. It is hard spending over $3,000 (use to buying window pc's). Also plan to upgrade my memory to 16gb by buying after market. Are you buying through apple? I am also looking at MacMall, but with a governmental / student discount apple is cheaper.
     
  13. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

    WiiDSmoker

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2009
    Location:
    Hermitage, TN
    #13
    Going through Apple. Getting the Trackpad as well, and then upgrade to 16 GB later too.

    Yeah I've built my computers all my life so doing this is really way out of the norm...
     

Share This Page