Buy now or wait for ML???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GREEN4U, Jul 16, 2012.

  1. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    #1
    I've been planning to buy a MBA 13.3/i7/128/4GB for school and all this time I'd been planning to wait until ML was released so it could be native on my machine. After all, what would be the purpose of getting something new and having to update it so soon.

    I really want ML. However, now I'm hearing that ML is glitchy and may have some issues I thefirst release. Would that be the case even if it comes native? It would be a shame if a new computer had those issues. In the end, I want the smoothest computer possible.

    Obviously the window for having Lion is closing fast and I have to make a decision. I'd like to know the truth about this kind of stuff and what you guys think. Thanks a lot!
     
  2. glen e macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    Location:
    Ft Lauderdale
    #2
    Too much over thinking...get the unit and get on with your life.....
     
  3. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #3
    Just get it now. That said, even if it ships with Mountain Lion, unless Apple changes the firmware it should be able to be "downgraded" to Lion. In any case nothing will magically change with the 2012 MacBook Air once Mountain Lion is released. The hardware will still be the same.

    Also, as for Mountain Lion, the GM is pretty stable from all accounts. Of course, there will be bugs, and there will be a 10.8.1 a few weeks after 10.8.0 ships. That's true of any OS release.
     
  4. tjcad macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    #4
    I don't think you can get an i7 processor with the 128gb SSD. You need the 256Gb SSD model to get the i7. (Might be different in your country but 99% sure that you can't).

    Most of the time you always upgrade, although in most cases its a minor upgrade. But you can always think of this as like this. You will have the opportunity to do a complete format and installing ML which is a plus since you don't have to worry about "how come my installing is __ and I only have __ space left." To add if you don't have Lion you get both Lion and ML, dunno if that's a good deal to you but you get 2 for 1. :D
     
  5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

    PBG4 Dude

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2007
    #5
    You can only get the i7/128GB SSD on the 11" MBA. The 13" forces you into a 256GB SSD if you want the i7.

    Also agree with get it now with Lion and install ML when it comes out at the end of the month. This way you have Lion which is solid, just in case there is an issue in ML that would stop you cold.
     
  6. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #6
    That's true. You can get an i7 with 128GB on the 11.6" model, but not the 13.3" model.
     
  7. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    #7
    Sorry guys I meant i5.

    Thanks for the advice so far. Usually how long does it take before the Apple stores start selling units with the new OS pre-installed?

    I was also thinking that if I got the computer now w/ Lion, I could install ML maybe a year or two later with my $100 B2S App Store gift card. That way I could perhaps have a more solid version. Thoughts?

    Sorry for the overthinking - I haven't personally bought a new Mac in 7 years and haven't updated an OS since I updated to Leopard 4 years ago. That whole experience was bad. It made my Powerbook slow and laggy. I'd hate to have a new computer that is the same way. At the same time, I want the newest OS as it is a new computer.
     
  8. tjcad macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    #8
    Just get it now.

    I highly doubt ML will slow down your brand new MBA.

    Since you want both (stable and "latest and greatest" OS) with this option you have a choice to go with either one (without purchasing the other).

    Besides the faster you get it the more time you will enjoy the MBA and forget about over thinking things (peace of mind is a wonderful thing ;) ).
     
  9. bit density macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2004
    Location:
    Seattle
    #9
    You get a free update to ML when it comes out...

    I am not sure what the issue is, or what all the replies mean...

    You can install it whenever you want.
     
  10. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

    RightMACatU

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2012
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #10
    I was in the same boat about L/ML. I almost bought one last week but since it's a custom order I still have to wait a few weeks (Best Buy special order, paid over 24 months, no fees...), I said f'it and I'll wait another two weeks to get ML.
     
  11. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 4, 2012
    #11
    I doubt 2 weeks will be enough for ML to be the default version of OSX on MBAs.
     
  12. vodkaPT macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2012
    Location:
    Lisbon, Portugal
    #12
    It's stupid but I face the same question.

    I know that is easy to further install ML in an 2012 machine and will free. But, dunno, looks much more comfortable receive already the ML in the box.

    And since that in my case will be also a custom model ( 8GB), it's expectable (or not?), that, will say, after 25 of July, the mba leave the manufacturing with ML pre-install.
     
  13. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

    RightMACatU

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2012
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #13
    That's what I'm thinking.
     
  14. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    #14
    On the Apple website, after July 25, I believe it will say something like 'Ships with Mountain Lion' under the description. That should give you a pretty clear answer.

    Since I'm going to the store to buy it though, I'm wondering if they would have a few w/ ML and others still w/ Lion, and if I'd be able to choose one or the other (for example, is there anything on the box that gives it away)?

    Funny thing is I worked at an Apple store a few years ago but now I can't remember any of what happened b/c it didn't apply to me back then. Haha...
     
  15. Dan-- macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #15
    I'm in a similar boat, but about to buy a 13" MBP to replace my late 2006 MB, which is currently running Snow Leopard.

    If I buy the new MBP before 7/25, would that qualify me to use Lion essentially free on the old MB? (Doesn't look like it'll run ML.)

    Just weighing that against having to do an "upgrade" on the OS, which in my limited experiences have gone well, but I always hear horror stories.

    Thanks
     
  16. OneMike macrumors 603

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #16
    Previously when they used physical media, I remember them putting a disc with the new OS in the box.

    Pretty sure with mountain lion you'll just have to upgrade at home till the lion stock is depleted and they'll maybe assist with upgrade in store for those with slow connections, etc..

    I'm thinking I'll just wait till ML to buy. More that I'm undecided on which I want than anything else.
     
  17. Seamaster macrumors 65816

    Seamaster

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2003
    #17
    Surely it's marginally preferable to have ML preinstalled in the recovery partition?
     
  18. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    #18
    Good point.
     
  19. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #19
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the update also update the recovery partition. It's an network recovery anyways.....or am i wrong.
     
  20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

    oneMadRssn

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #20
    Doesn't installing ML also update your recovery partition?

    Also, the MBAs support internet recovery which can download a somewhat recent build right away. Seems this would be even more up to date than whatever you have in the recovery partition.
     
  21. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #21
    Yeah that's what I assumed as well, It's a network update so it will check with Apple and confirm the hardware. So any of the new systems purchased since the WWDC would automatically get the latest build, which in this case would be mountain lion starting July 25th.
     
  22. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

    oneMadRssn

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #22
    I would be annoyed and partially surprised if Apple continued to offer 10.7 via Internet Recovery to Macs that were properly upgraded to 10.8. After all, right now internet recovery will offer you the latest 10.7.x version available, why not 10.8 as well?

    During the initial install of 10.8, maybe it will update the internet recovery system on your mac to ask for 10.8 when using it. Or perhaps it will register your serial number with having 10.8 in some database.

    In any case, it would be super lame to have to install 10.7.x and then update to 10.8 when trying to do a "clean install".
     
  23. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

    RightMACatU

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2012
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #23
    Yes, the Recovery Partition will be updated to ML.
     
  24. malone macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2008
    #24
    This is good to know. What about Internet Recovery? How does the MBA know whether to download Lion or ML from the internet?

    Or, asked differently, when we install ML, does it also update the notebook's firmware so that it knows to download ML from the internet instead of Lion?

     

Share This Page