Buy now or Wait for new Macbook??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wkucardtopper, Jul 12, 2008.

1. wkucardtopper macrumors newbie

Im in the market for a laptop, and im set on a macbook. I was about to go out and get one, before i started reading all this stuff about the new/revised macbook, releasing sometime in the 3Q. From what you guys know what will be the main difference between the current macbook and the new one. I would like to get the back to school promotion if I could, thats why Im leaning towards the current macbook. Im a communications major and really just need something that will work, allow me to get my papers done, and maybe a little video editing.

2. Fenir macrumors regular

The main consensus is always: if you can wait, wait. If you need a computer now (and want the deal), get it now.

3. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Of course they are just rumors, but from what I understand, the changes will be:
    • Aluminum case
    • Black keyboard
    • LED screen
    • Faster Processor
    • Bigger Trackpad plus Multi Touch
    • And possibly a backlit keyboard

There are some other possibilities, but that's all I really know of.
    I would wait if you can.

Also, for future reference, there are plenty of threads that go into detail about this with leaked pictures, etc. Just use the search up there.

4. EmptyCalm macrumors member

i recently bought my macbook. i knew about the updates too but decided to buy it anyway because of the back to school promotion. three four years from now i'll get whatever mac has out but for the time being i'll enjoy this for as long as i can.

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Wait until they update the graphics card, preferably with a dedicated graphics card. I almost regret my purchase, the graphics card is so bad for a $1300 computer.

6. Jak3 macrumors regular

The MacBook won't be seeing a dedicated GFX card anytime soon...it would make it too much like the MBP, and people will just buy it instead of the 2000$ machine... :rolleyes:

But seriously, gaming and laptops arn't the best combo in my books...you should get a real gaming rig if you want to play games.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I can get a $1000 laptop PC with as good of specs as a MBP. Don't tell me the MB shouldn't have a dedicated graphics card. And the lack of a superdrive on a $1300 computer is pathetic. Name one other $1000+ Laptop that doesn't have a superdrive. In fact, people theorize that the combo drives cost Apple more than the superdrives do.

8. Mephisto5 macrumors newbie

QFT.
    Unless you NEED it now, I'd wait. as, it never hurts to wait. Assuming you have patience.
    I think we're looking at a 2.3gHz minimum spec'd MB, bigger HD, and a better optical drive.

Any sort of case redesign seems unlikely for the MB with-in the time frame I'm sure you hold.

EDIT: DDR3 Support? Definitely a new "graphics card".

9. simon182 macrumors newbie

if you can wait for it, then wait because you will regret it if you buy one now and then it gets refreshed just after

but then also the MacBooks are always going to get refreshed, you cant keep up ... depends on what side you look at it

10. jcandrada macrumors member

Probably you can, but the real question should be, can you get a $1000+ PC with all those great specs you're talking about that can run Mac OSX?? The great PLUS with all macs is that you can run OSX and not be in the dark ages with Windows

11. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat, waiting for new macbooks. I decided to wait to buy until the last day of the back to school promo. If there's nothing new by then, I'll just get the current model.

12. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

Unless you don't want to wait, then don't wait.

I was considering waiting, but I'm so impatient! I may borrow some money from my mum to get it before school starts unless I can muster up the reason to wait a few more months.

Pretty much, I'm still stuck between black or white.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm not saying it shouldn't. It's just not going to have one. Montevina MacBooks will have the x4500 IGPU.

Actually, it's $1,099 without a SuperDrive.

14. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Our company (in the Fortune 30) has a large number of new Panasonic, Dell and HP business laptops that all cost over $1000 and all of them use Intel's GMA integrated graphics. So Apple is hardly out on a limb here with the MacBook...

15. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I'd say wait till start of August at the minimum. :)

16. Jak3 macrumors regular

That's not the point.

If you can get a 1200$ computer with a dedicated graphics card, why would you spend money on a 2000$ computer that isn't much better?

It's more about making sure MBP sales don't get gimped rather than a simple computation of cost to make it.

And I swear to go, if it did get a dedicated graphics card, I could see them upping the price, just because...

Apple doesn't compete with other specced hardware, because that isn't their buisiness, OS X is.

I am not saying I agree with it, because god knows I want them to put one in, but it won't happen...not until dedicated GFX cards are mandatory to make a computer work.

17. impact macrumors newbie

What is all the buzz about July 14th? Is that when a new Macbook might be announced? Thanks.

18. 199708 macrumors 6502

In the same boat. My laptop is on its way out, I'm after a macbook, happy with the ones that are avail now, but there's no point in putting down $1300, knowing a new model is coming out that will be the same price/a tad more.
    I plan to keep my next laptop for at least 4 years like i have with this one.

19. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

That is when Intel is supposed to start shipping the Cantiga chipset and new 45nm Penryns for the Montevina system platform.

20. tkiss macrumors regular

21. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I am waiting until next month, I want the iPod and its a great deal, of course next month the new one may change my mind.