Buy now or Wait for new Macbook??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wkucardtopper, Jul 12, 2008.

  1. wkucardtopper macrumors newbie

    Jul 12, 2008
    Im in the market for a laptop, and im set on a macbook. I was about to go out and get one, before i started reading all this stuff about the new/revised macbook, releasing sometime in the 3Q. From what you guys know what will be the main difference between the current macbook and the new one. I would like to get the back to school promotion if I could, thats why Im leaning towards the current macbook. Im a communications major and really just need something that will work, allow me to get my papers done, and maybe a little video editing.
  2. Fenir macrumors regular

    Jun 27, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    The main consensus is always: if you can wait, wait. If you need a computer now (and want the deal), get it now.
  3. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

    Chandler Adaway

    Jun 29, 2008
    Beaumont, TX
    Of course they are just rumors, but from what I understand, the changes will be:
    • Aluminum case
    • Black keyboard
    • LED screen
    • Faster Processor
    • Bigger Trackpad plus Multi Touch
    • And possibly a backlit keyboard

    There are some other possibilities, but that's all I really know of.
    I would wait if you can.

    Also, for future reference, there are plenty of threads that go into detail about this with leaked pictures, etc. Just use the search up there.
  4. EmptyCalm macrumors member

    Jan 24, 2008
    i recently bought my macbook. i knew about the updates too but decided to buy it anyway because of the back to school promotion. three four years from now i'll get whatever mac has out but for the time being i'll enjoy this for as long as i can.
  5. Beric macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    Wait until they update the graphics card, preferably with a dedicated graphics card. I almost regret my purchase, the graphics card is so bad for a $1300 computer.
  6. Jak3 macrumors regular

    Jul 11, 2008
    The MacBook won't be seeing a dedicated GFX card anytime would make it too much like the MBP, and people will just buy it instead of the 2000$ machine... :rolleyes:

    But seriously, gaming and laptops arn't the best combo in my should get a real gaming rig if you want to play games.
  7. Beric macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    I can get a $1000 laptop PC with as good of specs as a MBP. Don't tell me the MB shouldn't have a dedicated graphics card. And the lack of a superdrive on a $1300 computer is pathetic. Name one other $1000+ Laptop that doesn't have a superdrive. In fact, people theorize that the combo drives cost Apple more than the superdrives do.
  8. Mephisto5 macrumors newbie

    Jun 30, 2008
    Unless you NEED it now, I'd wait. as, it never hurts to wait. Assuming you have patience.
    I think we're looking at a 2.3gHz minimum spec'd MB, bigger HD, and a better optical drive.

    Any sort of case redesign seems unlikely for the MB with-in the time frame I'm sure you hold.

    EDIT: DDR3 Support? Definitely a new "graphics card".
  9. simon182 macrumors newbie

    Jul 13, 2008
    if you can wait for it, then wait because you will regret it if you buy one now and then it gets refreshed just after

    but then also the MacBooks are always going to get refreshed, you cant keep up ... depends on what side you look at it
  10. jcandrada macrumors member

    Mar 11, 2008
    Probably you can, but the real question should be, can you get a $1000+ PC with all those great specs you're talking about that can run Mac OSX?? The great PLUS with all macs is that you can run OSX and not be in the dark ages with Windows
  11. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

    May 25, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I'm in the same boat, waiting for new macbooks. I decided to wait to buy until the last day of the back to school promo. If there's nothing new by then, I'll just get the current model.
  12. Breegy macrumors 6502


    Jun 19, 2008

    Unless you don't want to wait, then don't wait.

    I was considering waiting, but I'm so impatient! I may borrow some money from my mum to get it before school starts unless I can muster up the reason to wait a few more months.

    Pretty much, I'm still stuck between black or white.
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    I'm not saying it shouldn't. It's just not going to have one. Montevina MacBooks will have the x4500 IGPU.

    Actually, it's $1,099 without a SuperDrive.
  14. CWallace macrumors 603


    Aug 17, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Our company (in the Fortune 30) has a large number of new Panasonic, Dell and HP business laptops that all cost over $1000 and all of them use Intel's GMA integrated graphics. So Apple is hardly out on a limb here with the MacBook...
  15. sn00pie macrumors 6502a


    Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    I'd say wait till start of August at the minimum. :)
  16. Jak3 macrumors regular

    Jul 11, 2008
    That's not the point.

    If you can get a 1200$ computer with a dedicated graphics card, why would you spend money on a 2000$ computer that isn't much better?

    It's more about making sure MBP sales don't get gimped rather than a simple computation of cost to make it.

    And I swear to go, if it did get a dedicated graphics card, I could see them upping the price, just because...

    Apple doesn't compete with other specced hardware, because that isn't their buisiness, OS X is.

    I am not saying I agree with it, because god knows I want them to put one in, but it won't happen...not until dedicated GFX cards are mandatory to make a computer work.
  17. impact macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2008
    What is all the buzz about July 14th? Is that when a new Macbook might be announced? Thanks.
  18. 199708 macrumors 6502

    Jul 5, 2008
    In the same boat. My laptop is on its way out, I'm after a macbook, happy with the ones that are avail now, but there's no point in putting down $1300, knowing a new model is coming out that will be the same price/a tad more.
    I plan to keep my next laptop for at least 4 years like i have with this one.
  19. CWallace macrumors 603


    Aug 17, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    That is when Intel is supposed to start shipping the Cantiga chipset and new 45nm Penryns for the Montevina system platform.
  20. tkiss macrumors regular

    Jun 10, 2008
  21. mattniles007 macrumors 6502


    Dec 4, 2005
    I am waiting until next month, I want the iPod and its a great deal, of course next month the new one may change my mind.

Share This Page