Buy now or wait for the new Macbook Air??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nickynabi, Nov 29, 2011.

  1. nickynabi macrumors newbie

    Nov 29, 2011
    Just looking for opinions guys, Considering buying a 13" i5 4GB Macbook Air, but seeing stories of updated ones coming in or around March 2012 makes me think i should wait
  2. convergent macrumors 68030


    May 6, 2008
    I just bought one, and I'm seeing the same stories. I am so happy with the one I have, that I'm glad I went ahead and bought it. A lot of the attention for the new ones seems to be around the idea of a 15" Air. If that's where its at, then the line may not get a huge bump. But then there are also rumors of a huge bump. I guess it depends on what you have now and if you need to upgrade. My MBP was at the end of AppleCare, and I could still get good money for it so I upgraded... Sold the MBP for $700 which covered about half the cost of the MBA. (not including a new AppleCare contract)
  3. nickynabi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 29, 2011
    Iv a 3 year old Sony Vaio at the min which still runs fine, but i want to make the move to Macs and this will be my first one so dont wanna go out and spend that kinda money and then see one in march which is better!
  4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

    Jun 30, 2010
    Funnily enough, I have just upgraded from a 3 year old vaio to a macbook air. I doubt the next ones will be a design change, just the addition of the 15" and probably a speed bump for the 11 and 13's. so unless you want a 15 inch air, which I think is pointless, upgrade now.
  5. johnhurley macrumors 6502a


    Aug 29, 2011
    It is always the same old answer ... if you need it now then buy it now.

    There is always something better coming around the corner.

    There will be eventually in 2012 some nice changes. The mba 15 ( long rumored ) should be awesome.

    The current macbook air lineup is also "completely awesome" as long as one can live within 4 gb of RAM. Many of us are just peachy in that limitation. Hard to guess if that limitation may change in 2012.

    The macbook pro's are also very nice and they are much more easily upgradeable.
  6. Parkbruce macrumors newbie

    Jul 23, 2011
    Barrington RI
    Here's my redesigned the macbook air in 2010 so we are pretty much not going to see a redesign in 2012....the machines out right now are really fast..the next years model will probably have ivy bridge processors and looking at what intel has told the public abuot the processor is that its 20% faster which isnt that big of a deal and graphics improvements. So in conclusion the new macbook air would probably be a minor upgrade on processor which unless u need the "extra power" there is no point waiting..and plus if slight improvement in the processor is going to affect you..then you shouldnt consider a macbook air in the first place..thats my opinion
  7. heyloo macrumors 6502

    Nov 2, 2006
    ^ Well said. This will be a debate each time when you buy a new computer - if only I wait a bit longer... :) If you're looking for a 11" or 13", it'll just be a speed bump - albeit Ivy Bridge does look pretty appealing, there's no guarantee it will be out as early as March 2012, it sure can but at the same time there could always be delays.

    I purchased a 13" i5 ~3 weeks ago and have been loving it since. A lot of MBA is about the portability aspect of it in addition to bringing in the speed to go along with it. However I don't foresee it to surpass the performance mark of the MBP for example - the focus of the family just seems to suit different needs.

    It's always a tricky decision. Hold onto your computer and wait if you can. Otherwise make the jump. I love my MBA and I have no doubt you will too. Coming from a 2006 Blackbook, I can't be happier with it :)
  8. Troneas macrumors 65816


    Oct 26, 2011
    At the alternatives section.
    i'd say wait...

    but not until march 2012 because in 2013 there will be a new one.

    wait until then. oh wait! surely a new one will be released in 2014. buy one then!

    hmm but the world will not end in 2015 will it? perhaps that is the year of the final macbook air though!

    meh. make it easy on yourself. don't buy one. that way you'll never be outdated.
  9. johnhurley macrumors 6502a


    Aug 29, 2011

    Alternative buy one now and start immediately stashing away more money to buy the next one when it comes out!
  10. jvmxtra macrumors 65816


    Sep 21, 2010
    I think at this point if you missed out the best buy's $1099 for 13 inch mba, you might as well wait for either next big wave of discount or wait for next iteration of mba (hopefully 15 inch in smaller form factor .. hint hint.. smaller bezel)

    In case you think waiting is hard, I am waiting w/ the mb from 2009 .. so.. it's not easy for me either.. but I will wait
  11. Sith Vol macrumors 6502

    Oct 7, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

    I got the Air from the Best Buy deal. I'm not really feeling any buyer's remorse. The only thing that I'd maybe be pissed about is 256gb in the lower model 13in which isn't really that big of a deal anyways since I only paid $1,099 for mine.
  12. scarred macrumors 6502a

    Jul 24, 2011
    I wanted a Macbook Air January of last year, but waited until the summer 2011 refresh. It was long and painful... but it did make the purchase that much more sweet. I got no sleep when the apple store went down the night of their release.

    The simple saying "if you need it now, buy now" is not applicable to all of us. Some of us can stretch what we have for a few more months to get something that would be better suited for our needs. If you are in that boat, it "appears" waiting will bring you a better CPU, a better GPU, and maybe more memory. The battery might be better as well, but not looking like it.

    So, what do you want to do with your Air? If your common tasks will be improved by Ivy Bridge (google it) and you can make do for a few months, then wait.
  13. Kendo macrumors 68000

    Apr 4, 2011
    Which would then bring you back to the point of you not needing it now, so you waited. So it IS applicable. Because you bought the new model when you needed it. :p
  14. jvmxtra macrumors 65816


    Sep 21, 2010
    Are you kidding me? That was an awesome deal.. I just didn't have money lined up to get them so i will just wait for next one.. but that was awesome deal
  15. Kayan macrumors 6502

    Jul 7, 2010
    Against most of these posts already on here, I would wait if I were in your shoes. True it is that there will always be an upgrade...however, when I occasionally make an upgrade, I always like it to be at the start of a new wave or update. Then I'm top for a few months longer :)
  16. shadowjeff macrumors regular

    Aug 3, 2010
    doubt a refresh is coming in march/april. Most probably in july.

    I wad debating to wait or not but i figured i didn't want to wait 7 months so i went ahead and bought it during black friday.

    Never regret my purchase though it's a little distracting especially during this exam period lol.
  17. vitzr macrumors 68030


    Jul 28, 2011
    Buy now, Apple needs the money.

    Hurry & save Apple :)

Share This Page