Buy now or wait it out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kylekest, Jan 26, 2014.

  1. Kylekest macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2014
    #1
    I want to buy the 13' MBA, but I was wondering if I should wait for the next one to come out? Thoughts? Theories? Would you stick out the rest of the semester with a piece of **** Dell or make the switch now?
     
  2. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2013
    Location:
    'Merica!
    #2
    If that Dell will do what you need this semester, just wait for the next model.

    However, it might be after fall semester starts before it's released..so take that into account.
     
  3. Ciao macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2014
    #3
    I bought mine last night and I'm loving it. I would't wait like others will tell you since you'll just be keep waiting for a newer one. But anyway, it's still up to you, if your current computer can last that 6 months or so, then get the new one, if not get the 2013 model
     
  4. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    If your current computer is a POS, I would replace it with something that works.

    If you can wait out for the next one, why not wait for the next one after that?
     
  5. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2008
    #5
    Given that there's zero concrete information on refreshed Airs, I'd buy now. The current Air is a great laptop.
     
  6. jondunford macrumors 6502

    jondunford

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2013
    Location:
    Going for a poo Moderator
    #6
    POS is probably exaggerating and he means it does 95% of what he wants it to do

    i mean

    iphone 5S is amazing

    after iPhone 6 release

    i need to sell this piece of **** and get an iPhone 6
     
  7. Kylekest thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2014
    #7
    Thanks guys, I guess I'll be buying soon! And yes it is a POS, half the trim is ripped off (common problem, a design flaw), it stops typing in the middle of stuff, 2 hours of battery life (on power saver), one fan is broken, slow to do ANYTHING or open programs, the track pad is just as fidgeting as a cat on coke. I can't do it anymore!
     
  8. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2007
    Location:
    Mesa, AZ
    #8
    Maybe go the cheaper route and buy a refurb now, and re-sell it when the newer models come out? That way you're not spending as much money on the front end right now, you're filling an immediate need by getting a new machine, and you *should* be able to resell it and recoup most (if not all) of what you spent on it.
     
  9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

    ZombiePete

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #9
    I bought my new MBA on Friday and have zero regrets. It's hard to imagine how much better they could make it from here, aside from increases in storage and/or a retina display, either of which I can happily live without.
     
  10. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

    happyslayer

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Location:
    Glendale, AZ
    #10
    I'm a computer repair person and your current Dell sounds like it's lived its useful life. I would trash it--after removing/backing-up any personal data, of course :)

    And unless you really want/need a retina display, I'd definitely get a new (or refurb) 2013 model Air now. We are still probably at least 6 months or more away from a new Air--if not more. Also there is no guarantee that the new one would even have a retina display.

    I have the 2013 11.6 model and I love it, no issues with the screen not being retina. And, yes, I have an iPhone 5 with retina and an iPad mini retina and I don't ever feel that using the laptop (which I do a lot) is bad with its non-retina screen.

    Also, if you want the 13" model, now would be the time to get it, since some of the rumors on this site and others are suggesting that there may only be a 12" (or 11.88") model. Just a rumor, but it's a possibility.

    Just my two cents! Good luck.
     
  11. jojoba macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2011
    #11
    I asked myself that question recently and decided to upgrade. I'm very happy with that decision, the 2013 Air is a lovely machine, no fan noise compared to my previous 2011 and great battery life. Personally, I also like the 13" screen - that's one of the reasons why I decided to buy now, since rumours say next version will only be a 12".
     
  12. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #12
    I'd personally upgrade, why stick with a POS as you say and the MBA won't see a refresh until releases Broadwell, which is what this summer? I'd take the plunge.
     
  13. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

    Boyd01

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Location:
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    #13
    You haven't told us anything about your needs and haven't told us if the current models are missing some feature that you want. So I don't know how we could give you any specific advice.

    I had a 2011 MBA and upgraded to a 2013 MBA over the summer. It's a fantastic machine, very fast, and should be a huge upgrade from your old Dell. Unless there's some "must-have" feature that the current model is missing, I don't see much reason to wait.
     
  14. sostoobad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2011
    Location:
    Boston
    #14
    Honestly why wait ? makes not a lot of sense, if you are unhappy or done with your old machine, and like what the 2013 model does..jump on it, I got mine in November and am thrilled with it. AND what if the new one when ever it comes out isn't too much to your liking etc, talk is of a 12" I will be sure glad I have the 13" if that is true.
     
  15. tee-tz macrumors member

    tee-tz

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2009
    #15
    Agree with most. If you feel there may be retina MBA (or even a redesign), then get a used one that you can sell later. A new one would lose value quicker.

    I'm in Tanzania and the market isn't a liquid, thus I'll just wait for the updated model. Hoping we'll see a redesign & a retina option; which are things I'd appreciate & am willing to wait for.

    Having said that, I'm likely to buy a high spec one that will carry me for years; hence waiting a few more months won't be too bad.
     
  16. fedecape macrumors 6502

    fedecape

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2011
    Location:
    Miami, FL
    #16
    Go for it, there's always new tech coming out. If what you need is available, why wait?
    Plus, it's not that you're getting the 5S and the 6 comes out tomorrow.
    I heard Intel's new cpu "Broadwell" is delayed, so Haswell will stay with us a bit more.
    Wikipedia:
     

Share This Page