Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kylekest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
I want to buy the 13' MBA, but I was wondering if I should wait for the next one to come out? Thoughts? Theories? Would you stick out the rest of the semester with a piece of **** Dell or make the switch now?

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
If that Dell will do what you need this semester, just wait for the next model.

However, it might be after fall semester starts before it's released..so take that into account.

Ciao

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
I bought mine last night and I'm loving it. I would't wait like others will tell you since you'll just be keep waiting for a newer one. But anyway, it's still up to you, if your current computer can last that 6 months or so, then get the new one, if not get the 2013 model

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If your current computer is a POS, I would replace it with something that works.

If you can wait out for the next one, why not wait for the next one after that?

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
Given that there's zero concrete information on refreshed Airs, I'd buy now. The current Air is a great laptop.

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator
POS is probably exaggerating and he means it does 95% of what he wants it to do

i mean

iphone 5S is amazing

after iPhone 6 release

i need to sell this piece of **** and get an iPhone 6

Kylekest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Thanks guys, I guess I'll be buying soon! And yes it is a POS, half the trim is ripped off (common problem, a design flaw), it stops typing in the middle of stuff, 2 hours of battery life (on power saver), one fan is broken, slow to do ANYTHING or open programs, the track pad is just as fidgeting as a cat on coke. I can't do it anymore!

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Maybe go the cheaper route and buy a refurb now, and re-sell it when the newer models come out? That way you're not spending as much money on the front end right now, you're filling an immediate need by getting a new machine, and you *should* be able to resell it and recoup most (if not all) of what you spent on it.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I bought my new MBA on Friday and have zero regrets. It's hard to imagine how much better they could make it from here, aside from increases in storage and/or a retina display, either of which I can happily live without.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I'm a computer repair person and your current Dell sounds like it's lived its useful life. I would trash it--after removing/backing-up any personal data, of course :)

And unless you really want/need a retina display, I'd definitely get a new (or refurb) 2013 model Air now. We are still probably at least 6 months or more away from a new Air--if not more. Also there is no guarantee that the new one would even have a retina display.

I have the 2013 11.6 model and I love it, no issues with the screen not being retina. And, yes, I have an iPhone 5 with retina and an iPad mini retina and I don't ever feel that using the laptop (which I do a lot) is bad with its non-retina screen.

Also, if you want the 13" model, now would be the time to get it, since some of the rumors on this site and others are suggesting that there may only be a 12" (or 11.88") model. Just a rumor, but it's a possibility.

Just my two cents! Good luck.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I asked myself that question recently and decided to upgrade. I'm very happy with that decision, the 2013 Air is a lovely machine, no fan noise compared to my previous 2011 and great battery life. Personally, I also like the 13" screen - that's one of the reasons why I decided to buy now, since rumours say next version will only be a 12".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd personally upgrade, why stick with a POS as you say and the MBA won't see a refresh until releases Broadwell, which is what this summer? I'd take the plunge.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You haven't told us anything about your needs and haven't told us if the current models are missing some feature that you want. So I don't know how we could give you any specific advice.

I had a 2011 MBA and upgraded to a 2013 MBA over the summer. It's a fantastic machine, very fast, and should be a huge upgrade from your old Dell. Unless there's some "must-have" feature that the current model is missing, I don't see much reason to wait.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Honestly why wait ? makes not a lot of sense, if you are unhappy or done with your old machine, and like what the 2013 model does..jump on it, I got mine in November and am thrilled with it. AND what if the new one when ever it comes out isn't too much to your liking etc, talk is of a 12" I will be sure glad I have the 13" if that is true.

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Agree with most. If you feel there may be retina MBA (or even a redesign), then get a used one that you can sell later. A new one would lose value quicker.

I'm in Tanzania and the market isn't a liquid, thus I'll just wait for the updated model. Hoping we'll see a redesign & a retina option; which are things I'd appreciate & am willing to wait for.

Having said that, I'm likely to buy a high spec one that will carry me for years; hence waiting a few more months won't be too bad.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Go for it, there's always new tech coming out. If what you need is available, why wait?
Plus, it's not that you're getting the 5S and the 6 comes out tomorrow.
I heard Intel's new cpu "Broadwell" is delayed, so Haswell will stay with us a bit more.
Wikipedia:
On October 21, 2013, a leaked Intel roadmap indicated a late 2014 or early 2015 release of the K-series Broadwell on the LGA 1150 platform, in parallel with the previously announced Haswell refresh. This will coincide with the release of Intel's 9-series chipset, which may be required for Broadwell processors due to a change in power specifications for its LGA 1150 socket.[15][16]
No new mobile roadmaps have yet leaked to clarify if mobile Broadwell will be available in 2014. A leaked slide shows Broadwell-E/EP/EX in 2015.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.