Buy now or wait later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlizzardWolf, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. BlizzardWolf macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2005
    #1
    Should I buy the macbook for around $1400- 1500 over winter break?

    OR

    wait until Jan. for the new macbook that's "supposed" to come out?

    the thing is, I don't like the 12" screen-- i like the size of the current screen... also the new macbook will be probably more pricey too... which is kinda over my budget

    will i regret it later if buy the macbook now?

    please give some reasons, thanks!
     
  2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

    Unspeaked

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2003
    Location:
    West Coast
    #2
    If you need it right away, buy it now.

    The MacBook line probably won't get touched. At the very worst, there's a very slim chance of a price drop or minor speed bump.

    However, if you can wait, why not? It's never a bad idea to wait with these sorts of things for as long as you can hold out...
     
  3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #3
    It's not going to be a Macbook. It's going to be a Macbook Pro. If your budget doesn't allow for an MBP now, it's not going to allow for one when the newest MBP drops. And if you're looking for an MB, you're not going to find a new one in January.
     
  4. BlizzardWolf thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2005
    #4
    hmm are you sure the macbooks wont be upgraded?
     
  5. D4rkShaDoWz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2007
    #5
    I have this same problem except with the MBP

    What's being updated and is it worth waiting?
     
  6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #6
  7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

    basesloaded190

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #7
    the only thing that is going to happen to the macbook is a slight speed bump. i mean they were just upgraded. nothing is going to happen to these until we see it on the mbp of the slim mbp that might come out
     
  8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #8
    I think you would be wise to buy now and start enjoying your new machine instead of playing the waiting game. I think it is a safe bet to say the MacBooks will not be seeing any form of significant upgrade for a while.
     
  9. sk8ordie macrumors regular

    sk8ordie

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2007
    Location:
    California
  10. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #10
    I would buy now. The MB has just been upgraded and the new model would be a 12-13" MBP. Like others have said, I doubt it will be touched.
     
  11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #11
    I would just but now the machines are plenty powerful and they were just upgraded even if you do wait you will be waiting a very long time before anything significant happens.
     
  12. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #12
    A new macbook PRO is coming in January. It'll cost more, while MacBooks, only updated a matter of weeks ago, will not come out in January!

    You have my word, and my sword, and my axe.
     
  13. dcp063 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #13
    when do price drops usually occur?

    when does Apple usually drop prices of older models? week(s) leading up to announcement or afterwards?

    just curious...i'm getting a MBP but i'm going to wait for the new ones to come out and buy a current model...hopefully at a discounted price.
     
  14. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #14
    Soon to be flagged in a forum near you:

    "Buy Now or Wait.." and all its subsequent sequels and prequels and rip-offs:

    "MBP Now or later?"

    "Wait for Update?"

    "MBP/MB Update?"

    "MBP update soon?"

    "Buy MBP now?"

    "Should I Buy Now?"

    "MBP or MB Now or Later?"
     
  15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #15
    Apple does *not* drop prices. The baseline Macbook will never drop below 1100 new. The baseline MBP 15" will never drop below 2000. They simply upgrade the specs, but the prices never change. If you want a discounted price on an older model, get a refurbished one. That's the only way you'll see a significant discount from Apple.
     
  16. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #16
    Soon? It's been going on for weeks!
     
  17. dcp063 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #17
    re

    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
    Save 29% off the original price
    Original price: $2,799.00
    Your price: $1,999.00


    I meant refurbished ones...like the one above^ is $800 of the original price. I imagine it will take Apple a while to move the older models to the refurbished section?

    not the best example, I want 2.4 ghz core 2 duo...but you get the point
     

Share This Page