Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kman512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Hello, I am going to begin a PhD program in the fall and currently have an '09 MacBook Pro. The battery isn't that great now (lasts about 3 hours) so I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Air.

I just wanted your opinion of whether I should wait for the next update with the new broadwell chip? I've read that the new chips will improve battery life and perhaps a retina display could be added? If you think there might be new models by January then I'd probably wait for it, but if it won't be for a good year, I don't want a year of grad school to go by when I could have had the current model...unless the update will be significant enough to be worth the wait?

Also...does it make a difference if I buy it now, or wait for Yosemite to be release so that it just comes installed?

I also read that a new, larger, iPad may come out in the future. I could also wait to see what that's about, could this be a notebook replacement since microsoft has their office apps now? I'm going to be using the computer primarily for internet browsing, email, video conferencing and writing. I know you can't say for sure and there's no guarantees but I just wanted to see what you would do in this situation? Wait, or go ahead and get the current Air? Thanks so much for your thoughts!!!

Last edited:

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hello, I am going to begin a PhD program in the fall and currently have an '09 MacBook Pro. The battery isn't that great now (lasts about 3 hours) so I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Air.

I just wanted your opinion of whether I should wait for the next update with the new broadwell chip? I've read that the new chips will improve battery life and perhaps a retina display could be added? If you think there might be new models by January then I'd probably wait for it, but if it won't be for a good year, I don't want a year of grad school to go by when I could have had the current model...unless the update will be significant enough to be worth the wait?

Also...does it make a difference if I buy it now, or wait for Yosemite to be release so that it just comes installed?

I also read that a new, larger, iPad may come out in the future. I could also wait to see what that's about, could this be a notebook replacement since microsoft has their office apps now? I'm going to be using the computer primarily for internet browsing, email, video conferencing and writing. I know you can't say for sure and there's no guarantees but I just wanted to see what you would do in this situation? Wait, or go ahead and get the current Air? Thanks so much for your thoughts!!!

Really something only you can answer. It is possible that a new model could drop by January, but it's all speculation at this point. If the retina display is important to you, I would wait it out or possibly look at a 13 inch retina MBP. If you are content with the non retina display, go ahead and get the current Air. If the new model comes and you have to have it, you can always sell your current Air and grab a new one.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013

I would get a MBA as soon as you need it. The current generation is amazing, and you can find some really good deals. You can get a baseline model for $800 at BestBuy. There is no reason to wait until OSX Yosemite, as all the OS upgrades are free as long as your computer supports it (2008 or newer in general). Based on your needs, either get it from BestBuy this week, or wait for the next month or two for a deal. The lowest they have sold for is $750, but $800 is still below what they are selling for used on ebay.

You can wait until the next generation if you do not need one now, but realize that it will most likely be 8-12 months down the road. I can't promise you it will be that long or short, but that is what the rumor mill is currently claiming, based on where the Broadwell delays are. On top of that, the new MBA will be 1st gen, which always seems to come with an exorbitant price and glitches. It will be brand new, but it comes at a price, both implicit and explicit. If you are really a bleeding edge technology guy, I would recommend buying a new MBA for $800, and then selling it a year or two down the line for about $600. You can then pick up a 2nd generation 12" MBA which will be cheaper and nicer than the 1st generation. That is what I am planning on doing, but I have very little regard for my money when it comes to Apple products, so choose what is best for you :).

I have an iPad Air and a MBA. I have one thing to say about the iPad. If you ever use copy/paste, don't waste your time with an iPad. The lack of multitasking and the awkward implementation of copy/paste is a huge headache for any writing that requires citation. The iPad is a wonderful media device, but beyond that, it isn't much in comparison to the MBA. Currently, there are no rumors of a larger iPad. There were some a while back, but the display leaks are now claimed to be for the next generation MBA.

Best,
Matt

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
The current generation Air's are remarkable machines. I upgraded from a 2011 13" to a 2013 model at the beginning of this year because I needed the improved battery life.

I use the device all day every day and easily achieve 12 hours use on one charge. Not only is the Air a truly portable machine, but it also is the only option if you require day long access without recharging.

There may be a minor spec bump this year, but nothing indicates a major upgrade is imminent, so if you have a need for a great machine with outstanding battery life, then there's no reason to delay.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
All new, redesigned Airs coming out in a few months. Google it if you don't believe me. I say wait. I am.

----------

I'll Google it for you.

http://bgr.com/2014/07/21/12-inch-retina-macbook-air-release-dateretina-macbook-air-release-date/

Again, I say wait.

Doesn't the report you linked say as late as 2015? I am a little biased because I purchased a MBA a few months ago. My justification is that it isn't worth waiting if I can get one now for $700, especially if there will be a price increase on the new one. I have terrible eyes anyways (at the age of 20 :(), so 1440x900 is already plenty.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Apple is apparently going to launch new 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air versions in the coming months, 9to5Mac says, citing reports from Taiwan’s Economic Daily News. Furthermore, the 12-inch Retina MacBook Air – a rumored new addition to the Air family – might hit stores as late as early 2015.

First paragraph condensed for you:

1.) New 11 and 13-inch Airs released in coming months.

2.) 12-inch Retina Air released as late as 2015.

You're welcome.

Dtp8513

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
I was just able to Purchase a macbook air today for 640~.

Took advantage of best buy deal- $849 sale price on 128 model.
Added back to school coupon $100
Added 10% movers discount (available at any USPS)
Payed with 2 american express cards, both linked to twitter 50 cash back from best buy program

Pretty awesome deal. Was going to wait, but couldnt pass this up.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

Payed with 2 american express cards, both linked to twitter 50 cash back from best buy program

Phenomenal deal.. Congrats!

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

how did you manage to pay with two amex cards? (or is this something that you can always do, but I just never realized?)

P.x7716

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.