Buy now or Wait (Poll)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by speedemonV12, Apr 8, 2006.


Buy now? or wait for Merom?

  1. Buy the MBP now

    39 vote(s)
  2. Wait for Merom

    28 vote(s)
  1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

    Nov 29, 2005
    yes im like everyone else trying to decide if i should get a new MacBookPro

    Hi guys, ive been waiting since christmas to get a new MacBookPro, i know that the next chip will be merom, but it will probably not be out till Q4, but then i noticed, that the couple of chips that are scheduled to come out after that, will not be that big of a change from the merom chip, i was wondering how big of a jump from the current chip to the merom will be, if it is worth waiting.

    the mbp that i am planning on getting is the MBP 1.83GHz 1gig ram, 80gig 5400rpm.

    thanks guys
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3


    Aug 30, 2003
    Forget Merom, that's old news. Wait for Gilo.

    Or, forget about waiting, because there is going to be something better on the roadmap no matter when you buy.

    OS X on Intel still doesn't have any way to make use of 64 bits, so the differences may not be as significant as they look on paper.
  3. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    Wait at least till June, there will be a speed bump ;)
  4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    Gilo? That's sooo yesterday. I'm waiting for Penryn. ;)
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    I thought you were waiting for Hypercard 3.0 :confused:
  6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030


    Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...these "should I buy" threads get a bit tiring. Do you need a new laptop now? The MacBook Pro's are shipping basically immediately now so you can have one in a day or two, or same day if there is shop close by. If you need one, just flippin' buy it. If you don't have an immediate need and what you have already works fine then wait. has been said a million times already but never seems to sink in with anyone...if you wait 6 months for "merom" or whatever, you'll then be reading about what may be in the next rev 6 months down the road and be asking the same question - there is *always* something better coming and what you buy today will not be the best a couple months from now - it is the nature of the industry - it always has been and always will be - why can't people grasp that.....oh yeah!
  7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040


    Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    You should never, ever by from apple...ever! Because sometime in the next 6-12 months they will release something greater & better! So it's best to sit on your money forever, because money will never be obsolete!
  8. wmmk macrumors 68020


    Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
  9. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

    Sep 23, 2005
    They're being tough on you because it seems like you have a severe case of something a lot of people have around here. Most people only wait because a long time has passed since the previous update. You're putting yourself up for a very long wait.
  10. eXan macrumors 601


    Jan 10, 2005
    Forget about merom, get it now. You won't regret it. Waiting for something better can take forever...
  11. mike2q macrumors member

    Mar 9, 2006
    I'm like everyone else trying to decide the same thing. after carful consideration I ordered a MBP on Friday. I don't feel that the difference between the current core duo's and the processors coming in the next six months will be much more different than the merom and the processors coming out six months after that. My main worry was about 64 bit making 32 bit processors obsolete. With Macs this was a bigger concern than it was for PC's considering that every consumer pc based computer on the planet (besides some AMD chips) are 32 bit. It will be years before they are abandon. I think by the time my (currently top of the line) CPU is not enough for a given program that my graphics card won't be enough either. It makes the decision easy. Like the people always say - "If you need one now then get one now". Something better is always right around the corner. Besides.... Like it or not windows is here to stay and Microsoft cant abandon 32 bit processors near as quickly as apple so even if/when apple does drop 32 bit support you will still have windows. (And with windows support comes resale value)
  12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus


    Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Wait for an upgrade to the MBP? You might think that it was released 10 months ago.
  13. esaleris macrumors 6502

    Oct 18, 2005
    It's completely a moot point. I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

    No matter what, you are going to pay the same amount of money. So you're never going to "save money" with Apple. With that said, the idea of waiting for something is moot - it's much like saying "I'm going to wait to get the 2007 [ insert whatever car you want ] and sit out the 2006 model."

    It's going to cost roughly the same, and in one year, no matter what, it's going to be somewhat outdated, but not to the point where you can't use it. The worst you can do, is to buy something right before the new one comes out and then you feel pretty crappy. Other than that, the cycle times for products are so close that waiting for something to come is really pointless. It's not like the next one will really run Tiger significantly better.

    The exception is pretty much (keeping the analogy with the autos) when the models change completely (i.e. Intel transition). Then it's worth waiting. The MBP has already made that jump, so you're okay.
  14. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816


    Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    My lord, if you need a fracking computer buy a fracking computer! How do you live always dreading what comes out next? I see waiting to a certain extent, but holy crap so what if tomorrows' computer Photoshops 2 seconds quicker? So what if you get one bounce opening an app as opposed to 3? Just buy one when you need one. It's that simple. If you want to wait then fine, but I am getting a little weary of all the whining that gets done about "having" to wait.
    *done ranting*
    Sorry. :eek:
  15. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 29, 2005
    before i decide to buy, is there really that big of a difference from the 1.86, to the 2.00 GHz??
  16. sk1985 macrumors regular

    Jan 13, 2006
    If your current computer is running fine then I'd wait till fall (it's only a few months away). Merom is going to be a sick processor that is going to be a ton better than anything out now (20% better processor gains than current chips at similar Ghz and it runs cooler).
  17. After G macrumors 68000

    After G

    Aug 27, 2003
    No discernable difference between 1.83 and 2 GHz. But I'd recommend getting the most for your money since the MBP chips are soldered on and not socketed so you can't change up later.

    You might as well buy now. You'll have more money when Merom comes out anyway. It's not like money is a non-renewable resource either, unless you're out of a job.
  18. sushi Moderator emeritus


    Jul 19, 2002
    Things change every day it seems.

    Get what you need now. Enjoy using it and benefiting from it.

    Then upgrade when you need the additional capability/features.

    There is nothing wrong with a G4 PowerBook. Still works fine.

    My point is just because something new is out doesn't mean that what you have is outdated/old.

    The current MBP is a nice system. Sure a merom will be better but why wait if the current model fits your needs? I say go for it.
  19. thecheda macrumors 6502

    Apr 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    just go.

    Pick up your wallet and go. You only live once. And besides, theyre right, there is always something that is looming over the horizon after your purchase.
  20. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000


    Oct 5, 2004
    Duff-Man! Good to see your still on here. Anyway i agree these forums are tiring. If you need the computer now then buy it now. If you dont need it then wait until you do and there will be something better out im sure. My ibook is getting to be about a year old and its still easily on par with the ibooks being sold right now. I mean just look below at my ibooks specs. I dont even think a MBP in all its glory could compete. :p ::Walks back into cave::
  21. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 29, 2005
    well right now i am on an almost 4 year old dell inspiron 600m, windows xp pro. so im dying to get my first mac. but i have already waited 4 months since the macbook pro first came out, probably should just wait a little longer, one other question that i have is a bout the apple care protection plan. if i buy a model now, and i find problems with it, then apple updates the macbook pro, can i send mine back, and get the updated macbook pro?
  22. rastare1a macrumors newbie


    Apr 19, 2006
    But what about the NAB next week

    So my PB G4 1.33 died and I need a new laptop. I'm not going to ask you if I should buy now(seems to be the concensus here), I just wonder if you angry people think there will be an update on the 15"(or a revB of the 15") when they release the 17" possible next week?

    Thx for YOUR opinion.


Share This Page