Buy Now or wait till snow leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mnsportsgeek, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hello,

I am wanting to buy a macbook pro for school next year. My first question is, will snow leopard be out before next august? And my second question is, should I wait till that is released before I buy. My guess is that with the release of snow leopard, there will also be a slight update to the CPU. I can wait all the way up until about the beginning of august. I am also doing that because I want the free ipod touch that they do every summer. I think that would be really beneficial to have on a college campus where almost everything is wireless.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What more gratifying? Having the hardware now or having it with Snow Leopard?

Waiting for the back to school promotion is always a good idea.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

If you already have some :apple: gear, I believe you have it right, wait until the new OS is out, and they refresh the MacBooks.
    I'll do the same if I was in your case.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody outside of Apple knows.

If you want to buy a machine for school and SL is not out before school starts, I think it's stupid to wait. You can always upgrade later.

Is it a free touch these days? I thought it was a free nano or credit towards buying another iPod of your choice. Hmm, well either way it's a good deal and taking advantage of the school promotion has always been central to my decision making process. Sometimes you get a free printer (after rebate) also.

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe last year you had the option of getting a free 8gb ipod touch... I seem to remember playing with all the options last year and I think you could get a free 8gb touch. It could be 16gb this year possibly. Then you could upgrade to the 32gb for like $100 more maybe.

6. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I'd do what you're doing, wait til snow leopard is finally out, check that its a stable release and all, then upgrade the hardware; it saves on the cost of the upgraded software. I have a strange feeling that they might hold back on snow leopard's release until after the back-to-school promo ends, especially if Windows 7 isn't out yet to push Apple.

7. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

I would wait

I would wait to get snow leopard, it may come out sooner than expected. YOu never know, but I am going to wait until snow leopard comes out then buy a MacBook.:apple: