Buy Now or wait till snow leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mnsportsgeek, Mar 14, 2009.

  1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    #1
    Hello,

    I am wanting to buy a macbook pro for school next year. My first question is, will snow leopard be out before next august? And my second question is, should I wait till that is released before I buy. My guess is that with the release of snow leopard, there will also be a slight update to the CPU. I can wait all the way up until about the beginning of august. I am also doing that because I want the free ipod touch that they do every summer. I think that would be really beneficial to have on a college campus where almost everything is wireless.
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    What more gratifying? Having the hardware now or having it with Snow Leopard?

    Waiting for the back to school promotion is always a good idea.
     
  3. McGiord macrumors 601

    McGiord

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Dark Castle
    #3
    If you already have some :apple: gear, I believe you have it right, wait until the new OS is out, and they refresh the MacBooks.
    I'll do the same if I was in your case.
     
  4. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #4
    Nobody outside of Apple knows.

    If you want to buy a machine for school and SL is not out before school starts, I think it's stupid to wait. You can always upgrade later.

    Is it a free touch these days? I thought it was a free nano or credit towards buying another iPod of your choice. Hmm, well either way it's a good deal and taking advantage of the school promotion has always been central to my decision making process. Sometimes you get a free printer (after rebate) also.
     
  5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    #5
    I believe last year you had the option of getting a free 8gb ipod touch... I seem to remember playing with all the options last year and I think you could get a free 8gb touch. It could be 16gb this year possibly. Then you could upgrade to the 32gb for like $100 more maybe.
     
  6. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

    01jamcon

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    I'd do what you're doing, wait til snow leopard is finally out, check that its a stable release and all, then upgrade the hardware; it saves on the cost of the upgraded software. I have a strange feeling that they might hold back on snow leopard's release until after the back-to-school promo ends, especially if Windows 7 isn't out yet to push Apple.
     
  7. Liam8 macrumors 6502

    Liam8

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    I would wait

    I would wait to get snow leopard, it may come out sooner than expected. YOu never know, but I am going to wait until snow leopard comes out then buy a MacBook.:apple:
     

Share This Page