Buy Now, Or Wait - TMobile/Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew D., May 5, 2008.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I tried searching all over to find an answer but no luck so I'm posting up this thread in hopes of finding an answer.. I do apologize though if these questions were already asked, would you be so kind to direct me to the correct thread/site that would be great. Otherwise, if you don't have anything knowledgeable to say, continue on and read another thread, thanks!

So now, moving on to the main event, to wait or not to wait that is the question. My plan or idea for me personally is; I don't plan on going to AT&T so I will be unlocking the iPhone for TMobile. Here comes my questions:

1. Should I wait for the 3G iPhone, what are the chances it will unlock? I know Jobs did state in an article I read that they were working on increasing security for the new model so it would be harder to unlock.

2. Will the 3G iPhone work on the TMobile network if unlocked? I know speed will increase with 3G technology but on the TMobile network, will it be applicable? Does it change the current speed for phone use, sms, etc?

3. What other upgrades are notable (if anyone may know at this point) on the 3G iPhone that will make a big impact comparing it to the current iPhone? I know obviously newer, improved models of anything will be better then their predecessors.

I once again apologize, this most is sorta long but if you did read it thanks for taking the time. Also, if you all would please reply, that would be great as well! Happy week to everyone!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Hello. First of all, i live in Chicago as well, and i personally think T-Mobile sucks. You should really switch to AT&T.

1) Well it is more than likely going to be hacked an unlocked, but the question is when. No one will know that answer now, so that is something you'll just have to play by ear.

2) T-Mobile doesn't have 3G. So if the next iPhone doesn't have any ground breaking upgrades than the current iPhone, buying a 3G iPhone would be stupid. 3G Cards are backwards compatible and will connect to EDGE networks and make calls just as good though.

3) Well its confirmed that it is going to have a new design, but other things are all rumors. I repeat, ALL RUMORS: thicker, all black device with the options of colors, 2nd camera for video chat, bigger storage space, etc.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say that's true.
    Seeing as Apple has never made any remarks regarding a 3G iPhone, that can't be confirmed.

And even when T-Mobile gets 3G, a 3G iPhone wouldn't work on it, as the radio operates at a different frequency than ATT's HSDPA.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why unlock it for tmobile when you cant use the best feature of it, 3G.
    It will fall back to edge so just get a current model anyway.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

http://www.ilounge.com/images/uploads/iphone2b.jpg

Most if not all rumors point to a new design. There was also an interview at Engadget with (forgot his name) that said himself they are 90% done with the new design. Where that image is correct or not, it is going to look slightly different.

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/12/goldman-sachs-says-second-gen-iphone-is-in-final-design-phase/

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

That's from December, when an analyst got his information from "the usual assortment of moderately-reliable Asian component suppliers."
    He went on to say that there would be a new :apple:TV announced at MacWorld with an included LCD screen.

Yeah... definitely not a confirmed new design.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm not sure if that is the right article either. I remember it saying 90% completed. But,

Address this then:
    http://www.ilounge.com/images/uploads/iphone2b.jpg

Because i'm sure this is fake too, and the manufacturers will get their dimensions a week before the iPhone goes on sale.

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I don't know what that is, though.
    It's certainly not any Apple document. Just because some random foreign accessories maker has some amateur-looking pictures of a "new iPhone" design doesn't mean it's true.

I'm not saying the iPhone definitely WON'T be redesigned, I'm just saying at this point, we know absolutely nothing about it for certain.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That isn't the official picture, it's just a mockup from iLounge of the real dimensions.

10. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

For the main post, i always say to this kind of post to wait since we are very close to the most likely date of the release. Also if you dont need it probably there will be a significant price cut on older models.

And yeah agree with the guys saying we are not sure of a new design even if they release may be is not better or maybe it is.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I live in Chicago. No problems with T-Mobile, excellent customer service, lower rates.

Great reception on the iPhone, excellent coverage and very fast EDGE.... :D

12. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I agree. Nothing is official, it could be a year before we see a new iPhone, it could be a month. It could be a flip phone for all we know. We can, though, make educated guesses, some with more confidence than others, about the details, but we won't know for sure until Steve Jobs walks out on a stage holding something small in his hand.

13. IlliniDude macrumors regular

14. Cedhed macrumors newbie

The trouble is Tmobiles 3g is on a different frequency than AT&T's so the iphone will probably never be compatible with their 3g unless a multi mode phone is developed

Tmobile runs at 1700mhz and AT&t runs at 2100mhz

Personally I'm getting a current gen iPhone here shortly. At the very least I can sell it at a later date if the new one is remarkable. Either way best I'll get until I switch carriers is Edge.

15. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Actually I believe t-mobile uses 1700/2100 and AT&T uses 1900/2100 for 3G

You would have overlap but without a phone that uses the 1700 band you will be severely crippled.

No idea if the iphone will support 1700

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They would have to do a multiband 3G, what if someone buys a 3G T-Mobile iPhone in Germany/Austria and comes to the US on a trip?

17. Cedhed macrumors newbie

My guess would be scale back to Edge. Or access through the AT&T network. Dunno, not hugely familiar with international phone behavior.

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The T-mobile Germany phone uses the 1900/2100mhz band I believe. AT&T bought the 1900mhz band from PCS over here so T-mo can't use that. All they got was 1700Mhz from the Gov - which can marginally cover a bit more space.

I'm getting an iPhone this week and unlocking for use on T-mobile. I suppose you can wait and get a 16GB potentially for the price of the 8GB but for me that doesn't really matter.

19. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You can't use another country's T-Mobile if you have T-Mobile in Germany... so it doesn't matter. You'd end up roaming on whatever the nearest cell tower is in whatever country you're in.

If you have T-Mobile service in Germany, you have T-Mobile service in Germany. Not everywhere that has T-Mobile.

As someone else said, T-Mobile 3G in other countries operates at a different frequency than US T-Mobile.

20. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I would hope the next iphone is multiband 3G.

1. This would be a great way for ATT to get added revenue for users who travel internationally.

2. It allows apple to create one device to sell to all regions (like the edge V1)

3. Allows them to sell more phones (despite what :apple: acknowledges unlocked phones help their overall numbers tremendously)

21. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

So since the new 3G iPhone won't be supported by TMobile, my best bet is to purchase one now if I anything or just wait for a price cut?