Buy now, or wait to buy??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VoltronBomb, Feb 9, 2012.

  1. VoltronBomb macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    #1
    So I've done it again. I've gotten myself all worked up over getting a new laptop. I have a HUGE 17 inch HP pavilion POS. Im convinced that I want to replace it with a 13 inch Mac Book Pro.

    I'm really tempted to order the $1199 one RIGHT NOW.

    I know there's a lot of talk about a new one with some improved features coming out Q2 (maybe). But is it worth the wait?

    Someone please talk me off the cliff.
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    As usual if you need a new machine now, buy it now.
     
  3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #3
    Hi there :) What are you going to be doing on the laptop?
     
  4. VoltronBomb thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    #4
    Primarily school. I would love to be able to take my laptop to class with me, but my current one is far too cumbersome.

    So in the end I don't need it. But it sure would be convinced as heck.

    Also, I do want to sell my current one sooner rather than later because I fear the re-sale price will drop even more. Right now I'm looking at getting less than 50% back... :(
     
  5. xdbuix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Virginia
    #5
    Honestly if you're looking for a computer to use now, then just buy it now. Also take a look at the macbook air. It is an awesome machine. Half of me kinda wishes that I took the air over the mbp that I have now. The air is a very capable machine. Also take it a look at the buyer's guide for more info.

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
     
  6. VoltronBomb thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    #6
    That's what I wanted to buy originally, but i figured that the lower price and higher performance of the mbp 13' outweighed the portability of the air.
     
  7. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

    SuperCachetes

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    Away from you
    #7
    Given that the current MBP will probably knock your socks off and continue to be a powerhouse for a few years, and that we don't even know what upgrades are coming, I would say no, waiting makes no sense.

    If you are really worried about resale value though, "having the best" at all times and repeatedly flipping computers to get new ones is probably not for you.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Ivy Bridge, Intel's latest chipset is due out April/May and presumably apple will then update their MBP line after that (a month a week, or a day who knows). The new chip set isn't projected to have a huge speed bump over Sandy Bridge. My point is given you're looking for a laptop for school work, notes and what not. I'd say buy one now, instead of waiting until May/June when apple releases the next update

    Depending on your usage needs, I'm also include the MBAs since they're much lighter and smaller.
     
  9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #9
    If you're in no hurry, why not wait a bit to see what the refresh brings?
     
  10. swartzfeger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2012
    #10
    I'm in a similar wait/buy game.

    My 2006 17" MBP nosedived in late 2009. Turned out it was a bad left I/O board. Replaced that (ugh, never again). MBP was 'functional' after that but flakey; MBP now will not run off battery alone (if my magsafe accidentally gets yanked, the MBP powers down). When I launch power hungry games like WoW, the screen goes very dark/flickery for a few seconds, then the MBP powers down. Other than that, my mainstay apps (Logic, Photoshop) run flawlessly.

    Power issues aside, the 2006 is still long in the tooth, especially for Logic. For simple tracking and a few VSTs it does well. Load up a ram beast like Omnisphere, and the MBP chokes.

    The early 2011 models can be had for really, really good prices. But with Ivy Bridge and possible retina upgrades pending, I may wait. Maybe.

    Or I may just spring for an early 2011 17" and plow the savings into a SSD upgrade.
     
  11. swartzfeger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2012
    #11
    Just an FYI -- macmall's mail-in rebates for the early 2011 MBP and MBA end February 29.
     
  12. VoltronBomb thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    #12
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    What mail-in rebates? How much savingings do they give you?
     
  13. swartzfeger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2012
    #13
    On top of a (iirc) 3% discount, they have $50 - $100 mail in rebates on some 2011 models. The 17" anti-glare that I want has a $50 rebate, but there is also a 17" glossy with a $100 rebate.

    The MBAs have $50 rebates.

    The savings on the early 2011 15" are ridiculously good, but I'm getting the 17" for the expresscard port.
     
  14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #14
    If you have a microcenter nearby, you can get an early 2011 MBP for $999 or a late 2011 for $1099.
     
  15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #15
    The OP could probably benefit from education pricing ($100 off the 13'' model) from Apple directly. I doubt that there is a reseller that can beat Apples education pricing before tax.

    Now Apple has to collect state sales tax in most states, while many online resellers don't... so this has to be taken into account. Buying from an Apple store has the benefit of hassle free returns and/or exchanges in the first two weeks.
     
  16. VoltronBomb thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    #16
    Yeah I would take advantage of the student discount.

    I have been seeing a lot of talk about not including a 13in MBP in the next release and just have the 13in MBA.

    Does anyone know where this rumor came from and the likelihood of it? This would make my decision that much easier.
     
  17. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2012
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #17
    I live in Philly, when did microcenter start selling an early 2011 for a grand?
     
  18. Cubytus macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    #18
    Depending on what branch you intend to study in, I would find pretty stupid to spit more money for a less capable machine in form of the MBA. Just imagine you have to watch a DVD, borrowed from your local library, the university library, and hu-oh, you have to get an external one for $80. Or you have a large collection of videos or backups on DVDs (They are still the least expensive way, although unwieldy, to move large amounts of data).

    Just keep in mind the Air also has a less capable battery, so portability is all relative when you have to take the wall plug with you.
     
  19. Cubytus macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    #20
    Ditto. If your 17-incher is running fast and fine, just wait. I had a 12 lbs one to take in class back in 2006, and although very heavy, it was manageable. At least until you can get the latest from Apple.
     
  20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #21
    I saw it on the in store sign. It was not advertised on the website at all. Must be clearing stock. You should definitely see if they had any left. Last time I checked on Sunday, they did.

    ----------

    This waiting thing is useless because you'll always be waiting for a new one anyway. You can't keep up with technology.
     
  21. ldominguez1986, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012

    ldominguez1986 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2012
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #22
    ----------

    Thanks, I called and they said that they don't have any. Would have been awesome too. Thanks for the heads up though
     
  22. ichacha macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2011
    #23
    i think you should wait for new model , so far as i know , Apple will be get Ivy bridge chip about month earlier than its competitors ,that means production line might be launching from Mar , means that soon you will see the new configuration ... i think it's worth waiting ...im waiting ,too
     
  23. Cubytus macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    #24
    Always. But as per some post in this topic, he stated that his current 17" wasn't anywhere near outdated, or slow. So if he NEEDS a new one, whatever the reason, should just buy it now, if he WANTS the latest, keep on waiting.
     

Share This Page