Buy now, or wait until after Macworld?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmodrich, Sep 5, 2007.

  1. tmodrich macrumors newbie

    Sep 5, 2007
    Hey everyone,
    Well, being a college student, I was holding off on buying an iPhone until a price drop/3G support was available and I wasn't expecting the price drop until Macworld in January. So my main question is should I buy an iPhone now, or do you guys think it'll drop again around Macworld.

    My other question is much like how the iPod line is tweaked once a year or so, I would expect the iPhone to be changed a bit every year/year and a half. If I buy and iPhone now, do you think Apple will do some sort of exchange or cheaper upgrade for people with older iPhones?

  2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

    Jun 26, 2007
    i would expect iphone nano within 6months, upgrade to iphone in 9-12months(hopefully gps).

    it really depends on how much they want to upgrade via software vs how long it will take for them to think they need a hardware upgrade to boost sales in the future.
  3. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816


    Sep 13, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  4. malenfant macrumors member

    Dec 31, 2006
    Seriously. Your third option is "Buy never."
  5. tmodrich thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 5, 2007
    yeah, i dont have too much interest in an iphone nano, at least from the rumors, i love the internet, mail and touchscreen aspects of the iphone, plus the iphone nano looks like it'll just be a dumbed down version and i have a bigger itunes library than a nano could handle

    and with the buy never, that's not a real option ha ha
  6. achie25 macrumors 6502

    Sep 2, 2005
    With the price drop today I think that MacWorld could see an upgrade to the iPhone. Bigger? 3G? Who knows. Another price drop? Doubt it! I am curious if there will be an upgrade at Macworld and also another one at this time next year. In the Keynote Jobs really pounded home the "Holiday Season" so I am curious if this is going to be standard ops from here on out?
  7. tmodrich thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 5, 2007
    well with all these discussions on when the 16gb iphone is coming i dont know what i should do ha ha. the 16 gb would be nice, but the price point of the 8gb is perfect for me, and i cant imagine it getting any cheaper for the next year or so...and having 3G isnt an issue for me, since ATT doesnt have it where i live anyway....

    any more suggestions for me? they're great appreciated
  8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020


    Jun 19, 2007
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
  9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020


    Nov 14, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    buy now or never buy .. i mean, it will get an update eventually, possibly in january. i bet we do see an iphone nano though with less features than the current iphone.
  10. vega07 macrumors 65816

    Aug 7, 2006
    argh. all this speculation and torturous waiting is what makes me hate apple products. :(
  11. California macrumors 68040


    Aug 21, 2004
    I figured with a 50 dollar Apple card and the refurbed 8gbs at 349, I couldn't go wrong at 300 dollars plus tax for the iPhone. Jumped on it just now. My gym attire of 1gb gumstick ipod shuffle plus my phone made for too many wires and too much hassle. Now I can watch movies at the gym and get calls too. Very happy.
  12. ehoez macrumors member

    Sep 4, 2007
  13. Daiden macrumors 6502a


    Feb 25, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    For all we know, Apple could release a new model tomorrow. It has really gotten that confusing to try to figure them out.
  14. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

    Jun 20, 2007

    Either buy it or not buy it. No one knows but if you buy one now and they have a 16 gig for thanksgiving.


  15. Craiger macrumors 6502a


    Jul 11, 2007
    Buy now unless you want a 16 gb iphone that might come out soon. (no evidence just seems like a logical move)
  16. tmodrich thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 5, 2007
    well i had no intention of complaining, so i'm not sure where that post a couple above came from, but that's ok...and yeah the more and more i think about it, the 16GB won't hold all my music and videos anyway and will be more money so i'll probably just get an 8GB which mean I get one sooner rather than later :)

    thanks for all the help everyone
  17. mcdj macrumors G3


    Jul 10, 2007
    If 8GB is enough storage for you, if EDGE is fast enough for you, if $399 is cheap enough for you, and if you need/want an iPhone, then buy an iPhone now. If you answer no to one or more of those ifs, then consider waiting.

    But beware, if you're going to wait until January, not only will you have no iPhone for (at least) the next 4 months, you also have no guarantees as to a.) whether there will even be a new model at MacWorld, b.) when that new model will be available, (June 29th, 2008?) and c.) whether the price, capacity, or data speed will meet your needs by then.
  18. JMD123 macrumors member

    Aug 21, 2007
    Dont say no one knows.... These things dont grow on trees... they do just spontaiously create them selvs... someone knows...
  19. California macrumors 68040


    Aug 21, 2004
    Like i said, I bought a refurb iPhone today.

    I am perfectly happy to consider that Steve will be releasing
    16gb and maybe even 32gb iPhones by Xmas.

    I'd rather think less of Apple/Jobs if they DON'T have new iPhones by Xmas.

    As long as I can watch movies and have music and my phone on the go, I am happy with the 8gb.

    And who knows? I can probably spend a small fortune and have an ACT drop a 32gb flash drive in the iPHone if I really feel I need it... just like how you can pay an ACT to drop a hard drive in your Mac now and not effect warranty except on the hard drive.
  20. P.B. macrumors member

    Oct 16, 2005
    So, what do you guys think:
    If I bought an iPhone now with a 2 years contract and a new iPhone that i desperatly want comes along in a year.
    Do I have to make a second contract to own this or could i just buy it, sell my old one and put the old sim card in the new phone without having to add another 2 years to my contract or even have 2 contracts at the same time?
  21. macduke macrumors G3


    Jun 27, 2007
    Central U.S.
    Wait until the 64gb iPhone ultra comes out next June so you can get an iPhone classic for $199.

    But then you'd have to wait 2 more months because the iPhone classic will be discontinued and the iPhone ultra will be available for $299 with a two year contract. Also expect to pay out the butt to ATT for 3.5/4G wireless internet with crappy coverage.

    But then you would start hearing rumors about the new iPhone sight, which has a built in motion sensor which detects where your eyes are looking at on the screen and uses facial gestures instead of finger gestures to navigate.......

    And it goes ON, and ON, and ON.......until the end of time (or Apple). Just buy the dang phone now and get on with your life, lol. That's what I did, and if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check out the Apple store to see what I can use my new $100 credit for.
  22. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a


    Feb 22, 2005
    If you want it, just go buy it. There's ALWAYS something better around the corner. Even if you waited until January and they did update the memory, they might update it with GPS, 3G (insert some other feature here) 4 months down the road. As steve said in that letter:

    "Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced."

    You can't play the waiting game forever. I was upset when my iMac line was refreshed after I bought mine but then I had a reality check: The product is still just as good as it was.

Share This Page