Buy now or wait until december??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applusr, Jul 30, 2009.

1. applusr macrumors newbie

Hi there, I have to make a decision before the back to school promotion is over. This is my situation: my sister lives in the states and works as a teacher at a university, so she can get me the macbook pro 13 + the free i-pod touch, but the problem is that she wont be coming to my country until mid-december. So, what should I do??? Wait if there is an update of the macbook pro13 before december and lose the opportunity to get the free i-pod touch?? Or buy it now and be on the risk of getting an outdated computer on December??
    :confused:

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

MBPs won't be updated until February/March 2010.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It won't be updated in December, January would be the absolute earliest. For reference the cycle w/ minor updates is about six months or twice a year for notebooks. You get a free iPod Touch now though.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

You may as well wait to see what happens. None of the above posters know what they're talking about spitting out their own guesses as truth. Even if you do get the iPod, it would be one revision behind by then, lowering the value of the option quite a bit. There is certainly a possibility of seeing the notebooks upgraded later in the year. Either way is possible, though.

5. applusr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replys but now I am even more confused than I was before!! :eek:

6. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

If you want a 13" MBP than just go buy one. No matter what, everyone's computer will get outdated and we will never have the newest version for very long.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you buy now, you get: computer and an iPod Touch that will be outdated in a month.
    If you buy in December: you get computer and you can purchase whatever model of iPod touch you want

If you wait until February: you get a new model of a MacBook Pro and the older iPod Touch will be even lower.

8. bobbypotluck macrumors member

Your apple computer will always be outdated. There will always be a better model out eventually, that's all a part of apples business model. I used to worry about that before purchasing. If there is a rumored date that is close by, sure, wait for it, but for the free ipod touch that only comes once a year. I'd advise to buy now Unless you want to wait until next year. The recent Macbook update was pretty major, it will be a while before anything worth while comes out (except for maybe a tablet).

9. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Why cant she buy it and then ship it to your country?

10. applusr thread starter macrumors newbie

She can, but I would have to pay 50% of customs taxes...and that's way too much

11. applusr thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, after thinking about it a lot, I think I will go for it and get the macbook pro + the iPod touch before the back to school promo is over.
    Thanks everyone for your help!

12. huntor macrumors newbie

well said.
    i bought a new mbp last week thinking i'd see 'em within a month or two,
    but i realized other then small updates that i could probably do myself for a couple hundred i really dont see them doing anything else that's dramatically different to the current macbook pros.

they just added solidstate drives and the unibody.
    the glass trackpad is a nice update with multi swipe but im sure snow leopard make all macs multi swippable.. just think it's an easy way to make people buy the update..
    but if you're thinking youre gunna see a touch screen mbp in the next update,
    i'd think again. i dont think we'll see a touch screen for any macbook for atleast a good 8 years. im sure it'll all depend on how well the tablet goes.

other then that i really dont see why you would wait.
    i say buy that sh*t now. i definitely dont regret it.
    this mac feels like it could last me a good 5 years..
    which is extremely impressive in laptop years.