buy now or wait until macworld 2009

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MicahFreak82, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Location:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    #1
    i know that countless people write on this board and ask if they should wait until next month, next year to buy a mac but personally i fell that the newly released macs were somewhat of a disappointment. apple has been doing that recently. i like the design and solid aluminum but the concept of the macbook and macbook pro is getting fused together. moreover apple failed to aggressively price drop or dramatically redesign the macbook air.
    My question is what do you think is going to be apple's big this for macworld 2009.
    snow leopard, blue ray, new design for air and 17in macbook pro to make it resemble the current design, something totally new like an itv+mac mini, itablet. what is most probable?
    i am definitely in the market to by and have the time to wait but not to wait forever. i just want to know should i wait it out 3 months or just dive in now. was this release just to meet current demand and apple really wanted to do something totally drastic that they postponed until january.
    what do you guys think is in the works?
     
  2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #2
    wait. i'd never buy the 1st gen of anything. unless it was a good deal/refurb for a great price.
     
  3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #3

    I NEVER EVER understand why people keep saying this. It makes ZERO sense into today's technology market. It's a hold-over from back when manufacturers made the same car model for ten years and has no application to computers. Everytime a new computer comes out it has new parts... a new logic board, new graphics chip, etc, etc.

    Let's take the MBP. The first one came out and had inverter issues (buzzing). OK. But then the model that was current before yesterday's announcement, which is like the 4th or 5th generation had graphic card issues. My point is every model is susceptible to having issues because today's laptops are not fine tunes with each succeeding model, but rather completely re-engineered. And when something is re-engineering on a short production schedule you get new problems each and every time.
     
  4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #4
    I think you need to figure out what your computing needs are before you think about buying a computer. You are all over the place talking about MBA, MBP, MB, 17" MBP. Huh? Huge difference between a MBA and a 17" MBP. Definitely, not the same demographic market.

    Also don't expect a redesigned MBA anytime soon. Years. MacTablet isn't likely in the next 6 months from what SJ said yesterday. Don't expect Apple to lower prices either. Their price points are apparently perfect as more people are buying Apple laptops than ever before.
     
  5. ptjh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #5
    I'm in the same boat over the new MB Pro. I have been waiting too. I could wait but it could lead to only more disappointment and missing out on 3 months of use.

    It's for pro audio - do you think apple is likely to rethink it's FW policy on MB and MB pro's?

    My main question is what performance gains are expected from the nehalem over the current MB pro's?

    Is it worth paying £200 for a duo 2.8 instead of duo 2.5?I think maybe it might be worth getting a 2.8 and investing in a laptop that will last me a good few years. I don't want my laptop to get blow out of the water in performance terms when the Nehalem one's come out (or will that happen even if I did get the 2.8 GHz)?
     
  6. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Location:
    Arizona
    #6
    I'm not sure that New macbooks/pros will be coming out in January. My guess: new imacs and macpros. (maybe a mini?)
     
  7. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

    theMaccer

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2006
    Location:
    SoCal
    #7
    Personally I wouldnt worry about this FW thing. I'm sure some third parties will be all over it very soon.
     
  8. isethx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #8
    i think it is very clear there will be no blu ray at mac world. however i am waiting for the 17'' to join the rest of the current design, which i think will be added to the store one day randomly, i'd like to think before January.
     
  9. ptjh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #9
    Yeah mac rumors says 'well into 2008'. I'm getting a new MB pro now.

    2.5 or 2.8 GHz for high end audio - Much difference? I'd realy like not to spend the extra but if it's worth it I would
     
  10. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Location:
    Arizona
    #10
    My guess will be June 2009 before we see the next updates. I could very well be wrong, but 10 month intervals seems about right.
     
  11. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    #11
    wow. the laptops JUST came out and already a 'buy now or wait' thread. JUST BUY IT!
     
  12. ptjh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #12
    I'm buying, just not sure about 2.5 or 2.8 GHz processor options for heavy audio use and whether it's good value or necessary.
     
  13. sahirr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #13
    errrr?

    I was just saving up to buy the new MB... was waiting for the update fir quite some time... disappointed that they dont have a firefire port...

    Am really wondering if i should go ahead and buy it now or wait for Macworld 2009... Are there any chances that the MB's would be upgraded to the new nehalem processors and snow leapord???

    What say people... this will be my first mac and i really want to make it worthwhile and not sulk if there's an upgrade in just 2 months of the purchase.... Help!
     
  14. ironman4life macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Australia
    #14
    I personally think that you should wait until Macworld 2009, simply because even if they don't update the macbook line, they may at least drop the price once they run out of the old macbooks. Surely that's the only reason they are still selling the old white macbooks.
     

Share This Page