Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Other Buy now or wait until new releases in Fall?

shwnmtthw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
6
0
I currently have an iPhone 6 and I am looking to upgrade to an XS.

If I wait for the new phones to be released, can I expect the price to drop somewhat?

Additionally, I would trade in my iPhone 6. Do you imagine they'll still be taking them in the Fall, or am I risking that they will no longer take them?
 

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
4,893
1,810
DE
The Xs will drop in price once the new iPhone models are announced. If you look around, there are currently deals to be had with the Xs now from third party retailers (ie. Best Buy) and/or your carrier. Although if you want to deal directly with Apple, you'll have to wait until the new models are announced for them to discount the Xs and other models.

Not sure if Apple would give you anything toward the purchase of the Xs by trading in your 6. If anything they'd accept it and recycle it without giving you money. You can always sell your 6 on Swappa or other sites for cash.
 
Comment

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
6,454
2,632
I would definitely wait till after Apple announces the next generation model and see what's in the store then. If they do continue to plan on selling the XS/XS Max after the launch, they usually will drop the cost by $100.
 
Comment

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
2,627
204
Washington, DC
I would definitely wait till after Apple announces the next generation model and see what's in the store then. If they do continue to plan on selling the XS/XS Max after the launch, they usually will drop the cost by $100.

+1. This late in the product cycle it's better to wait. Either you can get the new Xs (whatever it's called) possibly for the same price as the current one; or you can get the current one for a lower price, reflecting that it's last year's model.

While your iPhone 6 will drop some in value, it won't drop as much as the price of the new phone you're looking to buy relative to today.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rui no onna
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
34,605
35,970
I imagine these types of threads are going to circulate a lot more now getting closer to the iPhone keynote. Yes, the answer is always the same, [wait], unless you _need_ to upgrade now due to a hardware issue, etc.
 
Comment

Aliciakeystx

macrumors member
May 5, 2019
34
7
since it is Aug already, I will wait.
But it is all up to you!
At least you should see what they gonna bring on the table.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.