Buy now or wait until September?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vespr.com, Jan 8, 2009.

1. vespr.com macrumors newbie

I'm going off to uni this September, and I know I'm going to get one of the new 13" MacBooks. At the moment I have a horrible windows desktop machine which takes up way too much space, and I'd love to get rid of it. I'm wondering whether to get the MacBook now or wait until September?

Basically my only reason not to buy now, is that Apple may release a new line of 13" MacBooks (with built-in batteries etc) between now and September. How likely is this? Would I be better to wait?

Cheers!

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I posted this in another thread on the same thing. Just buy it now!
    I HIGHLY doubt Apple will release a "new line" of MacBooks anytime soon

You guys who are 'waiting' are crazy! (no offense)
    If you wait, who knows how long it could be. New MacBooks JUST came out!
    Something bigger and better is always on its way. Thats technology..
    Plus you guys make it sound like its gonna be the last Mac you ever buy. I got the aluminum one at its launch date and I know already I will buy another Mac in the future.
    Point being, I just think its silly to wait. If you need the computer now then get it. If you just WANT one right now, then get it.. I dont care how you wanna look at it but whatever you buy will become outdated. So why waste your time waiting when you could be enjoying your purchase right now.

3. vespr.com thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh yeah I see your point, but when I'm a student there's no way I'm going to be buying a new computer... so this has to last 4 years.

Suppose I do buy now, and Apple do release a new 13"er in the summer, is there any chance that I'd be able to trade in for the new one? (paying the difference of course)

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I seriously doubt they will release a new MacBook anytime soon. If you buy the current MacBook it will easily last you 4 years.
    The new MacBook hasnt even been out 3 months. Its not like your buying some old piece of junk.
    I bought the white MacBook like 10 days before the new aluminum one came out. Thats a different story cause the white book was at the end of its lifespan. Think of the new aluminum MacBook as a young teenager! haha!

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I seriously doubt they will release a new MacBook anytime soon. If you buy the current MacBook it will easily last you 4 years.
    The new MacBook hasnt even been out 3 months. Its not like your buying some old piece of junk.
    I bought the white MacBook like 10 days before the new aluminum one came out. Thats a different story cause the white book was at the end of its lifespan. Think of the new aluminum MacBook as a young teenager! haha!

6. Cricketman macrumors regular

They may do the free iPod thing again though.

7. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Ha, my bad. Thought you were the OP.

Anyways, they won't change appearance and there won't be a major spec increase until probably early next year. You'll be fine purchasing it today if you wanted to.

8. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Computers will ALWAYS change and improve over the course of time... if you NEED it now, buy it NOW... if you don't really need it now, wait and get best bang for buck when the time comes.

Just my 2 cents worth.

EDIT: the free iPod is a good promotion although if you really NEED the computer now and you decide that because you'll be getting a free iPod in September and hold back from buying the macbook now... it would be silly to wait JUST for the iPod.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I mean ... if waiting's no big deal, they'll probably do a little spec bump by September. Or you could get in on some back-to-school deals.

But, if you could use it now and want to use it now ... just get it now.

10. gog macrumors regular

Buy baby buy buy buy
    You won't ever regret it.

11. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

at least wait until the summer when you can get an iPod for free..

12. eneisch macrumors 6502

The only advantages I could see to waiting would be you would probably get Snow Lepoard OS X and maybe there might be a prcoessor speed bump.

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I thought they usually updated after the school promos to get rid of the current ones and introduce the new line?

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There will be another update to the laptop line in late spring.

And then yes, get THAT version in the summer with a free last-gen iPod before they release the new iPods in September.

15. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah. If you don't need it now, just wait until September, and you'll get speed bumps, price savings, and a new iPod!

However, it should be noted that technology is always evolving, and if you want the newest without wasting money, you'll wait forever. New Products will constantly be coming out, as will new technologies, so if you want it/need it- get it now.

16. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Well then if you wait till September then why not wait a few more months until Nehalem could be out? You would just keep waiting and waiting! But I guess if I have a question, it would be is Nehalem worth waiting for? With Snow Leopard coming out in the summer, is Nehalem with Snow Leopard that much better than Snow Leopard with a 2.53 dual core?