Buy now or wait

Discussion in 'iPad' started by krillin, Dec 1, 2010.

  1. krillin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2010
    #1
    IPad was just available to buy in Sweden. Is it worth buying now or do you think that I should wait until the next generation.
     
  2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

    From A Buick 8

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2010
    Location:
    Ky Close to CinCinnati
    #2
    If it makes you feel any betteri am getting one for Christmas so you will not be alone.
     
  3. Alvi macrumors 65816

    Alvi

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Location:
    Mars
    #3
    buy it, everyone is buying one for Chritmas anyway, Apple probably won't have an announcement till February and it would come out April

    And i don't know why I feel that the actual thing will just come out on WWDC or somthing like that in summer with the iPhone 5

    Apple won't shoot themselves in the foot by releasing an iPad so early after the holidays, I give it at least 3-4 months
     
  4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

    benhollberg

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2010
    #4
    Personally, I would wait. I bet we see a new one early next year. Perhaps a release in March or April.
     
  5. lozpop macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2006
    #5
    Wait! We are 2-4 months away from the new iPad.
     
  6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

    colmaclean

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Berlin
    #6
    Why wait? You may have 12 months before iPad 2 is out in Sweden.
     
  7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

    sapporobaby

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    Location:
    3 earth minutes from your location....
    #7
    You haven't heard about the other bazillion threads talking about the same thing?
     
  8. Pastajensen macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2010
    Location:
    Austria
    #8
    I say go for it. If you want it you buy it. ;)

    Have used mine for ca. 3 weeks now and I love it. Great for surfing, e-mail, movies and comics (my main use). My wife use if for showing pictures as well.
     
  9. sotorious macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    #10
    There is always going to be something new, if you have that type of mind frame, youll never buy anything technology related.

    If you get the ipad now, and say it does come out in April, you do not have to get it on release, you can maybe get it in august or something of that nature. Ask your self this, Will you be using some of the features you've heard that may be released on the ipad 2? Lets be realistic. Maybe a slight bump in ram, with a better processor, possibly a camera or 2. From my understanding now the ipad is pretty smooth with the specs it has, if you want to do some skype calling you can always just use the computer you have now until you later upgrade.

    People are always on the market for older generation items when new ones are released, so i dont think you will have a problem selling it, you may not get exactly what you paid for but that is the nature of selling used.
     
  10. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

    AppleGoddess

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #11
    Buy it and than sell it the minute the new one launches.
     
  11. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #13
    Those that say "wait for the 2G" assume that the 2G version will be more desirable than the current model. That is a subjective decision however. I know that some people were sorely disappointed by the 6th gen Nano with its square screen, lack of camera, lack of memory, lack of video playback, etc. and went scrambling to find a 5G model.

    The same was true when Apple released the version of the Shuffle without onboard controls.

    The current model iPad is surprisingly solid for a 1st gen device. If the 2nd gen includes dual cameras and other hardware changes that introduces the risk of defects. There have been many reports here about the manufacturing defects on the latest iPod Touch with light leaks, clicking audio on recorded video, etc.

    I recommend buying the current iPad model now, enjoying it, taking good care of it, and should the 2G model prove to be of equal or higher quality, then sell your iPad and put that money towards a 2G.

    Of course if you can go without an iPad for 4-6 months then wait for the 2G to be released, read reviews on it, and make a decision then.
     
  12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #14
    It will be a while before iPad 2 is available in Sweden. iPad 2 will be launch first in US, Japan and some countires in Europe first. It will be a while before it gets there. Your choice.
     
  13. adnoh macrumors 6502a

    adnoh

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
  14. jull macrumors member

    jull

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2010
    Location:
    Houston TX
  15. Built macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #17
    Buy it now. There is ALWAYS something new on the horizon.

    BTW, I hear that the iPad 6th generation will be SO MUCH better than the iPad 1st generation...but you're going to have to wait until 2015 to buy it.
     
  16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #19
    I am going to wait for iPad 267895. I heard it will have a display that will be so bright that can make you instantly blind.
     
  17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #20
    We don't know if we will all be still alive by the time iPad 2 comes out. Anything can happen in this world. Haven't you seen the movie 2012? It is almost 2011 now. Uh oh.
     
  18. Syk macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #21
    It depends on if the iPad Gen 1 has the features you want. Since you're just now getting it in Sweden then there's no telling when Gen2 will be available there.

    But in the states I'd probably wait and just buy Gen2 which will at min have cameras and probably more memory.

    I'm not a person who likes to sell stuff and also it wouldn't be worth the $120-150 hit when selling it for me 3.5 months later. I figure by Jan more details will leak, release late March, early April so 3.5 month from now...I don't have to have it so the wait is no problem

    It's true if you wait for the latest and greatest you'll always be waiting to an extent. You need to decide on what features you want and can live with

    If you wait for something that will have a few features more than todays model that will allow you to skip the next model then the wait would be worth it.

    I bought my iPhone 3G a few months before 3Gs came out I didn't think it had enough features to justify the wait and used it and upgraded to the iP4

    It's late in the cycle imo and I don't buy late cycle items unless there is a price drop which I don't think you're going to see..

    You need to decide what's best for you or do like one guy said buy now keep it and buy the Gen 2 about 6months from now. That sort of keeps you refreshed midcycle. I think of the as iPad more of a buy every other release device than buy every year. Maybe buy every two years depending on how much of a user you are

    On a side note I picked up a 4th Gen 8GB iPod Touch at Office Depot for $196(reg $229) out the door for my son :) Brother works there and used his lowly discount(that took care of tax) but they had a $30 off coupon(had to be $150 or more) which really knocked the price down, they finally allow you to use coupons on technology items...

    So thats just a heads up for you guys/gals who may shop there that you can get a good chuck knocked off tech items

    I saw the ViewSonic GTab there and it wasn't too bad, alittle lag, nothing you couldn't live with and heard it was better with another firmware loaded from XDA but I think I may look at an Android tablet when they get 3.0 on it. I want to compare it and the iPad 2 before I make my choice
     
  19. RKpro macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #22
    I'm waiting. I don't think Apple will wait until April to update the iPad to have Rim rub the superior Playbook (internal guts only) into their faces. I think there will be an announcement around February, and it would have to be almost immediately available in stores. Because if they announce it in advance of availability, they should be shooting themselves in the foot, as sales would sharply drop in anticipation of the new model, and therefore put a big dent into Q1 revenues.
     
  20. eye macrumors 6502a

    eye

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Location:
    Detroit
    #23
    Buy it. Unless you're one of the six weirdos who uses FaceTime. Then you should wait for the camera version that most people would never use.
     
  21. Syk macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #24
    If they add a rear cam that could be potentially used for augmented reality stuff. I don't really care for FaceTime either. I still haven't used it.

    For me I don't own a tablet. So that's another reason I'm waiting because I want to see what the iPad2, Playbook and Android tablets with 3.0 will bring.

    I like the 7" form factor but I can over look that. The iPad has the apps I would like. Android is nice also but waiting for 3.0 and Netflix also my company may be having some outsource apps developed for use which would give me a reason to get the company to buy me an Android tablet to practice with for learning Android code with :D the main programmers are at our corporate location but I do some development for our office

    The Adam with the PQ screen. At first I was hyped about the Playbook but not so sure about it at this point.
     
  22. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

    KeriJane

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2009
    Location:
    ЧИКАГО!
    #25
    Köp Nu! :D

    Buy Now! Gen1 iPad is worth it and unlikely to change much for awhile.

    Sent from my iPad,
    Keri
     

Share This Page