Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AssassuN, Jun 10, 2011.

  1. AssassuN macrumors newbie

    AssassuN

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #1
    Lots of rumors were going around about a whole new case design for the MBP in 2012. Then some Ivy Bridge rumors originated. After buying the MBP 15 High-End, will I miss out on too much? Considering they're "planning" to make it thinner (which I don't care about). I would wish to wait however If they had new material and shape.

    What is the best decision, I can wait until 2012 but really want one now?
     
  2. Kyllle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2011
    #2
    I'd get it now if you want it.
    There is still likely to be another refresh (around October this year) before the rumored case-redesign in (mid?) 2012.

    So, your MBP will probably still look current for at least a year, and that's only if the case redesign actually happens.

    Plus, if you really like the new look next year, and you sell your MBP as soon as the new one is announced (like within a few days), you can probably catch someone who doesn't pay attention to Apple news, and doesn't know they aren't buying the latest model (or second latest), meaning that you can still get a good resale value.
     
  3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #3
    it's not a refresh, more or less a small CPU bump like last oct bumping the high end i7 from 2.66 to 2.8
     
  4. Kyllle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2011
    #4
    Not sure what the accepted definition of 'refresh' is here, but I was just considering it to be any upgrade to the computer. I haven't watched Macs that long, so I'm not all that familiar with what Apple usually changes each [insert alternate word for 'refresh'].
    Sorry if I was wrong :eek:
     
  5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #5
    there are a lot of these threads.

    short answer: get it now if it is what you want and is a suitable computer for you. :]
     
  6. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #6
    I would wait till 2024, heard they are going to be amazing.
     
  7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #7
    i heard the 2025 model is a refresh of the 2024, perhaps wait for that....but only during the bts sale.
     
  8. AssassuN thread starter macrumors newbie

    AssassuN

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #8
    Ahahaha, You guys are so right. But just to let you know, I'm not one of those people that keep waiting for refreshes, I'm asking because of the possible Case Update. ;)
     
  9. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2011
    Location:
    Virginia
    #9
    If you want it, don't wait. Just go and make yourself happy. With technology it's almost never worth waiting. Computer tech is advancing so quickly these days that if you take the "I'll wait for this or for that to be released" approach you'll be waiting forever. eBay is a great tool. Buy now and sell next year when the next thing comes out.
     
  10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2011
    #10
    If you want one now I'd go for it. The current MBP is a great computer.
     
  11. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

    42streetsdown

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Location:
    Gallifrey, 5124
    #11
    I honestly don't think MBP cases are going to get much thinner anytime soon. Apple has to make quite a few compromises when it comes to their MacBook Air line, and those compromises could kill the pro in MacBook Pro. I mean, processor designs will continue to improve on heat output and allow for lower power consumption, but not to the point that in the next few years Pro models could be replaced with significant size difference. At least not without cutting performance.

    With that being said, Ivy Bridge does have two things that make it superior to Sandy Bridge. OpenCL implementation and TriGate transistors. OpenCL shows a lot of promise for certain tasks, and trigate (while yet to be shown how well it performs) should provide a decent bit of power savings.
     
  12. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #12
    You said the key word: rumor.

    I would not base my purchasing habits solely on rumor, else I'd never buy anything electronic.

    The 2011 MBP is a fine, powerful and good looking computer as it is, and it will serve you well for many years to come, get it if you need/want it, and wait if you don't.
     
  13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #13
    If you ask now about waiting than don't buy it because you probably have a good computer already and don't need a new one.
    The next release is still a long time away. With rumors about ivy bridge not making it in the target time frame and Apple not being to quick about this stuff either. You will wait probably around 9-10 months.
    If you can wait this long why do you even think about getting one now?

    Ivy Bridge also offers 22nm along with Trigate it probably makes for much cooler and longer running Quad Core MBP. The current ones are on their design limits. The IGP might be useful but probably not really worth waiting even two months. 28nm GPUs on the otherhand should boost mobile GPU performance again by a significant margin.
     
  14. LeoThe3rd macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2009
    #14
    Here's the advice you want to hear: get the 13" one now and sell it when the new one comes out. MBP's hold their value extremely well.
     

Share This Page