Buy Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No0b3rT, Jul 2, 2011.

1. No0b3rT macrumors newbie

Hi,

My Older brother is leaving in a few months to college. I've been saving for quite a while to buy him a MacBook Pro. I have Roughly $4,000 saved up by myself. My question is, should I buy it for him now, or is there going to be an update soon. My other question is, how often are the MacBook Pros Updated?

Thanks
    ~No0b3rT

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Oh dear god, again?

Search, or even just look a few threads back...it's asked every day, multiple times a day.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

mbps usually sees a refresh about every 10 months, although it's not a given. i'd buy it now if he is leaving in a few months, because there won't be a refresh before then.

5. No0b3rT thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I know, haha I'm just gonna buy him the best one. 17" 16gb RAM etc... and thanks for the help.

6. simsaladimbamba

Why the need for 16GB RAM, which still costs over 1200 USD? Can your brother really take advantage of it by using memory hungry applications?

7. No0b3rT thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know what he'll use it for, I could always buy it then upgrade through Crucial Memory since they're cheaper. I'm just trying to help him out.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would recommend getting him a 13'' or a 15'' if he uses some graphics intensive apps. they'll be more portable and less money.

9. simsaladimbamba

Then there is no need to throw money at it right away. Just buy him the standard 4GB edition and add a gift card for a RAM upgrade, if he needs it.
    4GB can be plenty for a lot of uses.
    I could live very well with 4GB, if it weren't for some 64 bit applications like After Effects and such.

10. No0b3rT thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I think that's what he's using it for. He designs stuff. He has Adobe Master Suite 5.5. All that.

11. simsaladimbamba

If he is using it that much and will earn money with it, then the more RAM the better, but if 16GB are really needed, is up to him. I guess you can't ask him.
    Anyway, it is your money and your brother and I don't know you, so do whatever you feel is okay. Sorry for intruding in that matter.

12. No0b3rT thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha No problem. So in your professional opinion, should I buy it for him now, as in like the next hour or two, or should I wait for the next MacBook Pro to be released?

13. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Buy now, they won't have new MBPs before he would go to college, if he's going in the fall.

The earliest that new MBPs would come out would be October, but it could be as far away as early 2012.

Edit - plus if you buy now he'll have time to get accustomed to his new computer and load programs on it before going to school, which will make it that much easier of a transition.

And I agree with the others that it's very unlikely you need 16GB of RAM, and I would definitely advise you against buying it especially if you don't know if he needs it. If you do decide he needs it, buy it elsewhere, not from Apple, and you can save a few hundred $. However, it's your money, so do whatever you want.

14. simsaladimbamba

Now, as there will not be any new MBPs this year, only with a slight speed bump maybe, but that is unlikely.
    Intel releases new CPUs next year, and Apple will wait for them.

15. No0b3rT thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thank you very much. You've been a great help in this matter :)

16. meaty macrumors member

17. cloud 9 macrumors regular

Buy one after the release of lion, so you get it pre-installed.

Typically cunning apple strategy, older mbp + lion or wait 9 months again

18. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

It will prob be Feb before the next revision comes out.

Can he/you wait that long.

Also spend half your $2k on the MBP and spend the other half on yourself...you've earned it.

Your older brother not a saver and/or able to get it himself?