Buy Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starbuckpga, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Starbuckpga macrumors regular

I've got an opportunity to buy a MacBook Pro 15" with 2.3 processor, 8 gig of memory, 750 gig drive, high res glossy screen for $2400 shipped. Laptop sealed in the box ready to go.

My questions is, do I buy this now since it's a great deal, or do I wait for Lion to come on out on the MB Pros? Any advantage to waiting or just get this one now and upgrade to Lion when it's released later this month?

Thanks guys!

2. device manager macrumors newbie

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

get it now if you want/need it now. it's that simple.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

What is this deal? It sounds like you are getting this from an individual, and there are a whole lot of other things you need to be worrying about besides Lion. Lion is a 30 dollar install. It's a non-issue.

5. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for all if your responses.

The deal is from a co-worker of mine in another state. I've already seen it in person, legit deal, no worries at all. I assume this is a good deal? Original price was $2650, but I talked him down to $2400.

6. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I think it's a decent deal.
    I was about to say buy the $2199 model on Apple.com and install 8GB yourself for $75.
    Meaning it will cost $2274, but I forgot to include tax, which is the same as $2400.
    So go with your friend's deal if it is legit.

7. blackbinary macrumors member

Lion is free if the mac was purchased after June 6th.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

I never buy from friends. When bad things happen to stuff it affects friendships. But, assuming it is a brand new computer under warranty (or applecare) with a receipt AND the warranty is valid (I would check at a shop--if your friend spilled something into it or messed around inside they may have inadvertently invalidated the warranty) then it might be OK. Still, I would go through Apple to be on the safe side...

9. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

........it's BEEN after June 6th.

10. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

11. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again guys for your comments.

A little more about the laptop. It was actually a raffle drawing from our company. I was able to get the actual reciept from Apple. Warranty and one year of Applecare is included. I am buying it from the guy that one it in the drawing. He already has a Macbook Air he bought last year and has no use for the Macbook Pro. He'd rather take the money than sell the laptop. He knows I've been looking to buy one and that's what started the talking. Which is why he's not looking to make a killing off selling it as he has no money invested in it.

I'm not big on buying items from friends either. But this is still sealed in the box straight from the Apple store with reciept in hand. Any issues I can take back or take up with Apple since I will have the reciept from the Apple store.

12. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

In that case, assuming it was bought after 6 Jun, it should include the Lion upgrade.

13. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. It was bought June 14th for our annual Fourth of July party we have here at the office. They always give away a ton of prizes and the Macbook Pro was the grand prize. Ideally I would have love to won it...lol. But, I think $2400 is a very fair price based on the specs of the laptop.