Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Liquinn, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Hi, I own a first gen iPad and not sure whether it's worth it to update it. to the 3rd gen iPad.

Should I update to the iPad 3 or wait for the iPad 4 (generation four) to be released?

Thanks

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

The main or big difference between the 2 and the 3 is the screen. Performance wise it's a wash between both devices. If you can wait i'd say wait for the 4th Gen. You'll get a nice screen along with hardware bumps. ;)

3. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

True, some people may say "if you wait for the next big thing" you'll always be waiting though.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

True but if that's the case buy an iPad 2. It's basically an iPad 3 without the screen. ;)

If the screen doesn't pull your trigger and you have no performance issues with your iPad i'd say wait. Based on announcement schedules you are looking at next March i.e. 9 months. I own both the 2 and 3 and honestly the 2 does everything the 3 can without the nice screen. Siri is being added to the 3 later this year but I won't use that feature.

5. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I see. I guess if I buy the iPad 4, iOs 8 should work on it. I think I'll wait to buy the new iPad next year due to future proofing. Thanks.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i predict you buy the iPad 3 right around the time ios 6 launches and your first gen ipad gets snubbed.

7. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If you can wait, I would wait. The jump from the 1 to the 4 would just be that much more pleasing than a jump from 1 to 3.

8. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

It depends on whether you can afford it, how you intend to use it, and what each model is or will be capable of.

I now have both a 1 and a 3. It is not "a wash" as far as performance goes, for one thing. iPad 3 is significantly faster when speed is an issue. Also when it is not (but that is not an issue).

The screen makes a difference, and much more of a difference in some uses, and much less of a difference in others.

iOS 5 is the end of the line for the iPad 1; it will not support iOS 6 or later.

iOS 6 is rumored to be the end of the line for the iPad 2; it will likely not support versions later than iOS 6.

iPad 1 has no camera and will not run iMovie or iPhoto or GarageBand with any practical speed, possibly not at all.

iPad 3 has a better camera than iPad 2, by far.

Siri will come to the iPad 3 in iOS 6, it will not go to the iPad 2 or 1. Other apps will probably have the same fate.

All that said, the iPad 1 has a minor advantage over the iPad 3 of better battery life, and the iPad 2 has a minor advantage of being thinner and lighter than the iPad 1 or the iPad 3.

As to the future, Apple is not talking, which is less than surprising. The pundits predict a new iPad before the holidays, but there are no earth-shattering upgrade options rumored to go along with that. The wildest rumors are a 7" iPad and a 16:9 iPad. I want both, but smart money says the 7" is about 60:40 for, and the 16:9 is about 90:10 against, at least for this go around. The rumored "taller" screen on the upcoming iPhone may also drive the possibility of a 16:9 iPad; apps proportioned for that phone could scale directly.

Apple will undoubtedly take a shot at undermining whatever unique features that Amazon, Google/ASUS, or Windows 8 might bring to the table, which is why a 7" might be a reality. The deal with Tom Tom along with Apple's new focus on mapping might also drive the 7", especially in the car GPS arena. That is a sector they could own if they approach it correctly. I think the 10" iPad sort of saturates its own market (those with a 10" probably won't get a new 10" only every 2 or 3 generations), but lots of 10" owners might also be ripe for having both a 10" and a 7", so they avoid an iPod-like saturation if they put out both a 7 and a 10, especially if they scale up either or both to 16:9.

9. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

buy now. No question in my mind.

I jumped from 1->3, and am glad I did. It is physically painful to use iPad 1 (my kids got it) after using the iPad 3. iPad 3 is just so blazing fast, iPad 1 is halting and slow, and the safari memory crashes are horrible.

Go for it, you will be happy you did.

Yeah, maybe the 2->3 wasn't worth it, I don't know. But the 1->3 is definitely a huge performance bump.

10. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Buy the 3rd gen. It's a good time to upgrade. The next generation won't be out for a while.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There is no such thing as future proof in technology. You may as well not get any iPad.

12. Che Castro macrumors 603

Why don't you sell that ipad one , use the money to buy the ipad 3 , then before march next year sell the ipad 3

13. irDigital0l Guest

If your willing to wait 9 months...

Honestly, I don't feel $600 is worth it for the amount I spent using my iPad 1.

Unlike iPhone's I believe iPads should be upgraded 3-4 years.

So I'm going for the iPad "4".

That way I can spread everything out because there's no way I can buy all the new things.

14. b3thomso macrumors member

I just got my 3rd gen today, upgrading from the original iPad and all I can say is wow. The screen alone is straight up beautiful and its so much faster. In all reality, the 4th gen is gonna have a faster processor and maybe some more gigs. You have to decide how much you are gonna use it and if an those upgrades matter to you. They dont for me that I got the 3rd gen. Its a huge, huge upgrade for me.

15. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Buy it now any enjoy for almost a year then sell if you want the ipad4.

16. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I am in the same position as you and although I really want to upgrade every time I use my wife's iPad2..I am going to hold out for the iPad4.
    Get the retina screen, faster processor*, better camera*, and a thinner/lighter model*, with whatever new thing they add too.

(*probably)