Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Why should I buy now when talk of Haswell is around the corner in a few/several months time?

Any advice? Should I buy an iMac now or wait?

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Why should I buy now when talk of Haswell is around the corner in a few/several months time?

Question is not just about Haswell but also about nVidias 700 series and/or AMDs 8000 series graphic chips. All of these chips are set to appear in 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2013, so we might see an September refresh.

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA

Guess it depends on how bad you need a new computer (or how deep your pockets are).

If you don't need one, I'd probably wait at least a few months to see how the new models are holding up to any 'birth pangs'.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Buy now if you need it now, if you don't then wait. After Haswell is out there will be talk of the next chipset coming out. There is always something new coming up. Haswells main advantage will be power consumption which is more important for MBA and MBPs imo. For desktops the 2012 iMacs have everything you could want for a future proof machine like USB3, Thunderbolt, high end mobile GPU ect ect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.