Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mojay12, Apr 13, 2013.

  1. mojay12 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2013
    #1
    Hey everyone I need some advice

    I was going to buy a Apple notebook at the end of the summer in addition to the current windows notebook I have (Sony Vaio Z i7), but my Z is basically failing on me. I am a student and it is very difficult to be without a notebook, so basically I am wondering should I still wait until the summer for an update or buy now??

    I am still undecided between rMBP and MBA, but I'll just say I am using a rental chromebook from my university and really like the slim form factor, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice performance too much.

    SO, basically wondering which notebook I should get? and if I should wait or buy it now?

    Thanks
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    If you can wait until the end of the summer then wait, if you need one now, then buy one now. Apple should hopefully have their Haswell based laptops available by the end of the summer but you never know.
     
  3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #3
    The MacBook Pro product release cycle tends to be 8-10 months. Case in point, the Mid 2009 MacBook Pros came out in June of 2009 and were replaced by the Mid 2010 MacBook Pros in April of 2010, which were replaced by the Early 2011 MacBook Pros in February of 2010, which were replaced by the Late 2011 MacBook Pros in October of 2010, which were replaced by the Mid 2012 MacBook Pros in June of 2012. Now, split hairs between retina and non-retina models all you want; it's obvious that the non-retina unibody design, as wonderful as it still is, is on its way out. And even then, the Mid 2012 15" Retina was replaced eight months after its release by the Early 2013 models in February.

    Long story short, MacBook Pro releases are highly predictable, with the only exceptions being things done with new design change-overs (such as not releasing the 13" and 15" retina at the same time; or keeping the non-retina design alongside the retina design for a rev cycle or two). This being said, we're two months into the Early 2013 MacBook Pro's release cycle; that makes now actually the perfect time to pull the trigger. That being said, as other posters have indicated, Haswell IS around the corner and, much like Sandy Bridge with the Early 2011 models, the bump in integrated graphics and speed will be substantial. The current retinas are really no different than their 2012 predecessors save for a 100MHz speed bump across the line. That said, if you don't care about what's ahead and you just want a computer for today, you won't hate what's out now. Nor will you feel like you bought the machines too soon.

    As for the MacBook Airs, it is statistically unlikely that they'll receive any sort of significant architectural (Haswell) bumps before the MacBook Pros. Apple has, as of late, been putting out mid-chip-cycle bumps to the MacBook Pro line to adhere to the 8-10 month cycle even if there's really nothing to update the machines with. Whereas they tend to not feel the need to do the same with the MacBook Airs. Perhaps, given the MacBook Pro being a slightly more high-profile product, they wish to keep it more current to appease public scrutiny. With the Air, with no Haswell there's really nothing to change in the Air until that time comes (and no, Apple's not putting in retina at this point).
     

Share This Page