iPad Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pojo1806, May 13, 2014.

1. pojo1806, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I'm looking at buying an iPad, either the 16gb or 32gb Air and keeping it for 2 years, should I wait for the Air 2?

I mainly want it for internet browsing using Chrome and playing Hearthstone on it.

2. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Yep, I say wait a bit and see how the new iPad is, we are already near mid May anyway so just hold on tight if you can.

3. pojo1806 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is there any official word on a release date/month??

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

5. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I don't think Apple will mention anything hardware-related regarding the iPad at WWDC in June. They seem to follow their new schedule of releasing new iPads in November.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Buy it if you want it. An iPad 2 would be sufficient for your needs.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

At this point in time, I'd just wait. Even if you decided the Air is good enough for you, by the time the Air 2 is announced, you can expect some nice price drops and sales on the original Air. If you can find the Air for $80 discount or more though, sure, why not?

8. foobi, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

foobi macrumors regular

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, but you can always wait. Whatever model you want will keep dropping over the course of time. The nice thing is that getting it now means you can enjoy it NOW. :)

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I know waiting is always an option. My point is at this point in time, it's not really worth paying full MSRP for the Air. :rolleyes:

11. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

You're right. Apple are just thieving crooks trying to rob you blind in exchange for high end tech devices that are actually useless in today's age.

I mean, seriously. Why doesn't it have 16GB RAM and a 4K display yet? I bet they'll definitely announce that at WWDC, probably with availability on the 31st of June!

You'd be crazy to buy one now with such an amazing one coming out on a date that is most definitely real and not entirely made up to befuddle the weaker minds reading this post.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I say buy it now if you want one. You can always sell it and use the funds toward getting the new one if you want it.

As with any tech device, it starts to become outdated as soon as it is released. It is just something people like us have to deal with. :)

13. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If you're going to keep it for 2 years, then I'd recommend buying it now. The manufacturing process of the Air has by this time worked out the bugs and kinks. I've found that for every generation after the 1st, it is best to wait 4-6 months after release before purchasing one.

14. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

I say wait until June 2 to see if Apple announces a new iPad. If Apple doesn't announce anything, then I say wait for an announcement in October/September. If Apple announces nothing then or gives the iPad a little update, I say wait until November. Then, I would probably wait until the spring, or maybe WWDC, or perhaps the fall. Or you could wait until the fall after that for Apple to upgrade the iPad. I think that's a good plan... unless you want one now.

15. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

You. I like you.

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you are ok flipping the iPad just before the new one comes out and buying again; then go ahead and buy one now.

If you want to just buy and keep for two years; it may make sense to wait and see what Apple releases on the software front next month. There are already rumors bouncing around of RAM upgrades to support multiple user accounts et al. So, the newer upgraded model will definitely have the legs to last the two years more than the last model of the previous capability generation.

17. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Find a cheap used Nexus 7 or some random other Android tab to hold you until the new iPads are available.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPads came out in the fall, and so that's when I expect them to be re-released. Apple is going full bore on their iPhone update and so I think seeing anything in WWDC for an iPad is a long shot.

19. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Apple usually sticks to a 1 year production run (except for the iPad 3rd gen), so I wouldn't expect the next iPad until this fall.

20. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

If you can, wait. I fully expect this next model to have the 2gigs of ram this model should of had. That alone will make your wait that much more fulfilling.

Check the other threads about the poor resale value of the air, I don think you'd recoup the $$$ in an attempt to flip it, like in versions past.

21. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Nope.

Given the cycles recently, probably see a new one around September.

At this stage just wait till second of June , there might be a slight chance the iPad gets a small update.

22. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I just picked up an Air today after selling my mini retina. I find the extra screen real estate of the Air is worth it for reading. I say if you want one grab one now.

23. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Just got an Air today. Shattered my iPad 3 screen last night. About two months pass my Best Buy warranty. :( I wasn't plan on getting anything new, but I couldn't wait for a new model. I don't use TouchID on my iPhone, so if that is the highlight of the next iPad, I won't be missing out.

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree and even if they do something with the ipad, the Air is an excellent machine as it is right now. Just buy one. As many have said before the timing game that people play with devices is silly. Even if purchased on release day, within six months or less you start hearing about what the next generation of the device will have in it. Who cares?

Buy and enjoy. Life is too short.