Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kylera, Sep 13, 2015.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Wait for El Capitan to come as standard, that is :p

I have plenty of experience reinstalling OSes on my Macs, so if need be, I could do that on my own. I'm just curious as to whether there would be any other benefits or drawbacks over waiting until the next OS X to become standard on all new Macs or not.

2. Vladislav macrumors regular

Wait for El Capitan, and for a skylake macbook, thats what im doing! hopefully next month!

3. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

Wil the next MB come with the stronger new Aluminum like the iphone 6s(plus)

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

I doubt that very much, too much development already invested and the MBA has not change

Maybe a rose gold version though :)

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

No benefits at all. And besides, how are you gonna know if the one you buy comes pre-installed with El Capitan?

6. Vladislav macrumors regular

Because starting from the official day of release of the El Capitan all Macs will be delivered...guess with what? El Capitan OS!

7. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Next month? Why next month? It would most likely be April 2016.

8. Vladislav macrumors regular

Because october is usual month for Mac refresh from Apple, and Skylake CPU required for macbook available from intel TODAY. There is a good chance they will update it in october together with iMacs.

9. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

10. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

I hope you are right, but the rMB only came out this past April, so any refresh wouldn’t be until April 2016.

11. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

You may THINK that they are usually released in October but you'd be wrong. Check the last few years on this wiki page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Macintosh_models

12. ixxx69 macrumors 65816

I don't believe that's the case for existing inventory. There's usually a transition period as existing inventory is cleared out. Probably depends somewhat on where you buy it from (online Apple store, showroom Apple store, authorized dealer, etc.)

13. BoneHead001, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

My guess is that Apple will wait until 2016 to announce a faster processor, an additional USB-C port and a better camera. (Hopefully also fix the annoying rattle in the rMB.)

14. ixxx69, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yup, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Chances are pretty high that even if the OP waited until the El Capitan release was out, they would get Yosemite.

16. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Take it easy. I replied to the thread and quoted you by accident. ;)

17. ixxx69 macrumors 65816

Sorry, I was just teasing - if you had any other username, i wouldn't have said anything, but I suppose I shouldn't have tried to joke on it regardless.

18. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Everything’s good, no offense taken.

19. nutmac macrumors 68040

Apple said last week's "Hey Siri, Give Us a Hint" is the last event of this year. While that doesn't mean existing products won't receive a silent upgrade (at the very least, they will be updated with El Capitan in September 30), it could also mean MacBook won't be updated until 1-year anniversary in March.

And looking at MBA and retina MBP, they all received decent price reduction at 1-year anniversary, $300 for MBA and $200 for rMBP. So if you don't like upgrading OS, wait until September 30. If you can wait longer, wait for around March when it will likely get CPU update and price cut.

20. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

When did Apple say anything like that?

21. nutmac macrumors 68040

I forget the source, but even in the absence of my recollection, it is highly doubtful that Apple will schedule an event solely to announce spec bumped Macs.

In the past, Apple scheduled an October event to announce updated iPads and Macs. But Apple already announced updated iPads and iPad Pro at the iPhone event. There is really nothing further to announce that would require another event.

22. toddzrx, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Apple has done plenty of things in the past. The only routine one at this point is the iPhone reveal every September. Computers and iPads get released at different times, especially computers. I have no idea if Apple is going to hold another event this Fall or not, but it's not hard to imagine one happening if the rumors of a 4K 21.5" iMac are true, along with Skylake upgrades to all the laptops (not sure if those chips have been released yet, especially for the Pros).

I think you're recollecting the rumor going around that someone close to Apple who attended last week's event was saying there'd be no more Apple events for this year. But that was just hearsay. As usual, no one knows but Apple.

23. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl