iPad Pro Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ciarals, Dec 15, 2016.

  1. ciarals macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #1
    Hello everyone! My iPad mini 1st gen. is completely unusable after so many years so I would like to buy the new iPad Pro 9.7.

    I have read a lot of things and my doubt is between the iPad Air 2 (for the price) and the iPad Pro 9.7 (for the specs). The price difference is a bit, but in mid/late January I will receive from one of my colleague 1500€ (approx. 1560$) in Apple Store Gift Cards and I will pay them to him 1155€ (approx. 1200$), so with a discount of 345 €/360 $.

    With this "discount" the price difference between the 2 models is nearly voided and so I (nearly) decided for the iPad Pro. But I still have doubts and I need your help :)

    I've also read about the rumors of new models planned for Spring 2017: I usually don't read rumors or I don't base my buyings based on the rumors, but this time we're talking of really few months before the launch.

    So, what will you do in my case? Wait for Spring 2017? Buy the iPad Pro 9.7 with this discount (so at less than the iPad Air 2 price) in mid/late January even if new iPad could be presented after 2 months?

    I'm really on the decision of buy the iPad Pro 9.7" as soon as I have the Gift Cards but your opinion is very important to me :) Thank you!
     
  2. ericwn macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2016
    #2
    I would wait. We have a first gen iPad mini in the family, and it certainly is not unusable , it's just a bit slower than modern devices.
    Side note: Interesting story along those gift cards too, sounds slightly unusual to say the least that anybody would accumulate more than a couple hundred Euro on such a card before purchase.
     
  3. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #3
    Well, mine is unusable. Tried restoring to factory and all the things, nothing: really super super slow. Also I don't want the mini size anymore, I will use it 100% at home, so no need for a mini version.

    The gift card story is that he obtained 150€ of gift card for each bank account he activated with an italian online bank. He activated 10 bank accounts and, since he don't have to buy anything from Apple, sold the gifts to me at that price. Not that bad at all.

    Why you would wait? You have only talked abut the mini but my doubts are on the other models :)
     
  4. ericwn macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2016
    #4
    I personally would not pay the money for the iPad Pro at this stage. Hardware-wise it's now a bit slower than the new iPhone and most people expect new hardware in March anyway. On the other hand, if you need a device now, as in you need it for business or something else of importance, get one now of course. It's just a tool and will work for a couple years either way.
     
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #5
    The pro can often be found at discount these days. For example, $150 off at target right now. I agree that I would not pay full price so late in the update cycle, but at a good discount, I would. The new ones are not likely to be so heavily discounted for a while.
     
  6. iPadDad macrumors 6502

    iPadDad

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2014
    #6
    You must wait! There will be a big Hardware difference! Go for the 12,9, what is your use case?
     
  7. Kostas3000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2016
    Location:
    New York
  8. JD2015 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014
    #8
    The risk of waiting though could be a price increase as seen with the recent MacBook range?
     
  9. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #9
    12.9 and Mini absolutely not, 9.7 is the dimension I will buy. When you say mini pro in March you have clues that it will be released 100%?

    This is the real reason. My usage of the iPad will be: reading newspapers, web browsing, email, some games, Netflix, Sky, video playing and some video editing on iMovie or similar apps (I'm a videomaker but for hobby, not for work).

    So, based on this usage, the iPad Air 2 will be good enough but, due to the discount I gain from my colleague, I can buy the iPad Pro at the same price of the iPad Air 2.

    My main issue is that on March probably a new iPad Pro will be released, the famous 10" without the bezel, and the actual iPad Pro will see a price decrease and maybe also a GB decrease. And I need 128 GB.

    If the 10" will be confirmed, surely it will cost more, while the actual iPad Pro will cost less (but maybe with less GB). So.... I really don't know what to do :rolleyes:
     
  10. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #10
    If you are set on the 9.7 size, then you really have no choice but to wait considering the rumors floating around. Historically rumors haven't been very accurate but over the last 18-24 months they HAVE been accurate.

    I suspect that we most likely will NOT see a price drop on the current 9.7 Pro but instead a higher price for 10.5" Pro. There's also the potential that Apple removes the headphone jack from future iPads.

    The Air 2 is generally seen as the next long-range model (previously held by the iPad 2). The 9.7 Pro is more likely to be discontinued BEFORE the Air 2 does.

    Given your description of what your usage will be, the 12.9 Pro is ideal. The only thing that will suffer is portability (and only in some situations).

    Of course these are only my opinions. :)
     
  11. nnoble macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2011
    #11
    I have a first generation iPad mini and it's working as well now as when I first got it. However, I too am in a quandary about buying an iPad Pro now or waiting until March, April.......May? But I'll be buying an iPad Pro instead of a new MacBook, because although I use my MacBook Pro on a daily basis for work (classroom) I'm beginning to think a replacement is overkill and I'm becoming more convinced I could manage with an iPad Pro. I'd still have my 2010 laptop to fall back on for the odd one or two things that the iPad couldn't handle. I'm inclined to wait for the time-being unless I can pick up an absolute bargain.
     
  12. Channan macrumors 68030

    Channan

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #12
    Considering you can't buy one until toward the end of January anyway, definitely wait. What's an extra two months?
     
  13. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #13
    The "problem" is this: basing on what Apple did with the MacBook, who can assure us on what Apple will do for the iPad market? They will launch a 10" model, ok, and surely it will have a higher price of the current 9.7 model (more screen = higher price, always). And what about the actual 9.7? Same price? Probably. But what about the storage? Will 128 GB remain or the only 128 GB option will be the new iPad 10?

    This is the issue: for one user like me that don't want a mini or 12 or 10 model, but the 9.7 model, why wait and risk that the actual 9.7 128 GB will be no more available?

    And why waiting for something that maybe will not happen in March but in another period of the year?

    Don't you agree? What do you think?
     
  14. Channan macrumors 68030

    Channan

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #14
    Considering Apple just increased the price of the 9.7" iPad, I don't see them doing that again a year later.
     
  15. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #15
    When? On September 7 Apple reduced the prices by up to $100 on 128 GB and 256 GB models.
     
  16. Channan macrumors 68030

    Channan

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #16
    It was $50 on 128 and $100 on 256, and that reduction simply brings it back down to a $100 difference between models like it always was before.

    The base model is still the same price. New iPads have always started off at $499, but as of last year, they start at $599. I just can't see Apple increasing the price again a year later. If iPad sales were already rapidly decreasing before, how do you think a $700 base iPad is going to help Apple with sales?
     
  17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #17
    You should review the many threads that discuss ditching a laptop for an iPad--it's not always feasible.
     
  18. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #18
    Anyway, I wasn't talking about the 9.7 model. It will surely see no price increase. But this rumored new 10" model 90% surely will because the screen will be bigger.

    And my questions are still there: will 128 GB remain for 9.7 or the only 128 GB option will be the new iPad 10? For one user like me that don't want a mini or 12 or 10 model, but the 9.7 model, why wait and risk that the actual 9.7 128 GB will be no more available?
     
  19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #19
    OP: sounds like you want to buy now, so do it. Find the 9.7" at a discount (easy to do these days) and enjoy it. It'll be a terrific machine regardless of what gets released next year.
     
  20. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #20
    Yes, my desire is to buy it in January. Mainly the fear for not finding anymore the 9.7 128 GB after the March conference is the thing that is making me think of this choice.
     
  21. rui no onna macrumors 601

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #21
    Nah. More than likely, it's just gonna replace the 9.7" model (similar physical dimensions with smaller bezel). I wouldn't really worry about supply on the 9.7" 128GB model. Chances are you'd probably see a sale on those after the announcement (maybe even a little bit before).
     
  22. Channan macrumors 68030

    Channan

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #22
    The only reason to release a 10.5" model that makes sense is to put it in a similar-sized body of the current 9.7" by shrinking the bezels and replace the 9.7" model. If that's the case, it should stay the same price.

    There's no reason to pay an extra $100 or whatever for an extra 0.8" difference in screen size on a tablet.
     
  23. BaddAdvice macrumors member

    BaddAdvice

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2016
    #23
    It seems to me you've already made up your mind - you're going to buy a 9.7 Pro in January. Done deal. I, too, just got a 9.7 Pro instead of waiting for the mythical unicorn because I wanted an iPad now, not in March/April. So, if you're looking for my answer, a complete stranger on the internet, then it's "Yes, buy it now - or as soon as you can".

    Or wait, it's up to you, and you alone.
     
  24. paulryp macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2016
    #24
    Im on the fence....it comes down to price. if i buy now at a cheap price i can resell and get the new one if it has "new must have features"
     
  25. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #25
    2 nice quotes :) Yea, it seems that I've already made up my mind.. Mainly because, even if I love Apple products, I don't trust them in the last years (see what they have done for the MacBook Pro: that price is absolutely crazy). When I see users that say "There's no reason to pay an extra $100..." well, it's Apple. They can. The screen is bigger, the iPad is more powerful, why not pay more?

    The thing is I can buy now at cheaper price because of the Gift Cards, but also in April, because they don't expire. So I will buy a cheaper iPad anyway. But if it will cost more and the 9.7 iPad 128 GB will not be available anymore it's a fail for me. The matter is all here. I don't want a bigger screen than the 9.7. It's already big for me. I had the iPad mini because I was travelling, but now I'm not travelling as much as 4 years ago, so 9.7 is just fine. No more and no less.
     

Share This Page