BUY NOW or wait...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Garden Knowm, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

    Oct 10, 2006
    I know this is the age old question.. but I need the crowds support on this one...

    Tomorrow I was planning on buying a MBP 2.16.. I do work daily with Motion and FCP....

    I was planing on doing a lot of traveling this month so I thought I would upgrade to a computer that I could work on the road with.. but after doing some web browsing.. it appears that anyday now a new MAC BOOK could be released..


    what would you do?

  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3


    Aug 30, 2003
    How much do you value the productivity that would be lost by delaying your purchase? Would it be greater than the cost of upgrading to a 64-bit machine a few years from now, in the event that you end up with some software that eventually requires it? Would you be replacing your notebook in a few years anyway?
  3. coal macrumors regular


    Oct 22, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Do you have anything portable that will do for the immediate future? Is this a vacation oriented travel or for business? If it's for vacation, I admire your optimism, but are you really going to want to do work while traveling?

    That said, I would wait. It really could be any day now, and the possible extra-processor upgrades (new drive-cage et cetera) are definitely worth the temporary wait.

    I'm right there with you. I am waiting and it's getting harder as the semester progresses, but I'm making it work until the updated MBP is released.
  4. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a


    Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Who knows?

    Core 2 Duo laptops could be out tomorrow, or next year - frankly, they may not even come out at all, and Apple may skip a generation.

    My advice, and it's an adage I follow; buy if you need it, and buy it with the knowledge that even if something else comes out, the product you've brought still does exactly what it did when you purchased it - and to a certain extent, still remains future proof for a good three or so years to come.

    Don't get on the waiting train too long or you'll miss out on much productivity now.
  5. Garden Knowm thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 10, 2006
    Well, my work is so fantastic and fun that I basically due it all the time...
    And I am so eager to hit the road and be able to work onthe computer while I travel..

    In the next 3 weeks I am going to Maui, San Diego, HOuston and Santa Barbara... it wold be fantastic to have a SUPER COMPUTER with me...

    I am selling my titanium G4 powerbook, tomorrow morning for $500.

    EVEN if the new MBP are released tomorrow.. won't it be 1-2 months before they make it in the stores?


    and tanks for the lively discussion!!
  6. YS2003 macrumors 68020


    Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    Like many other people on this site, I have been waiting for the C2D MPB or MB. It seems Apple takes ample time to work on this upgrade; but, it is inevitable it has to update their Core Duo units to keep its product line up to the current technology.

    I am also getting tired of waiting. But, I have good Apple machines which are still working well and which I can keep using for another year or two. But, as a tech junkie, I want to get a new intel Mac.

    Here, I think patience will pay off for the people who will give another few months or so. I have made a decision I won't buy Core Duo units from Apple. So, I will wait as long as it takes (figuratively speaking). Core Duo chips a stop-gap chip from Pentium to Core 2 Duo as Intel was not able to go head with the brand new chip architectures with new production process at the same time.

    Given the known issues with MBP/MB, I don't want to comprise with Core Duo chip.
  7. ascender macrumors 68020


    Dec 8, 2005
    Like others have said, if you always wait for the next thing to come out, you'll never buy anything. Unless an upgrade is imminent and/or it will specifically make a difference to you, I'd just buy now.

    Remember that Macs will last you for years without having to upgrade them and this has never been more true than now. Also, Macs have a good second hand value, so you can always sell it on and upgrade a bit further down the line if you feel like you need a new machine.
  8. Garden Knowm thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 10, 2006
    "The CS2 and Ms Office 2004 will not run properly on your

    MacBook Pro as these are the latest but not least of the universal platforms."

    somebody sent me this in an email this mornig.. is this false???

  9. ascender macrumors 68020


    Dec 8, 2005
    In short yes, but the mail is possibly a bit over-dramatic. They will run, but as they are not native versions for the Intel chips, there will be a slight performance hit as there is clever software working in the background.

    I believe there is a noticeable performance hit on the Adobe apps if you are a professional user, but for normal users I wouldn't worry.

    At least that's how I understand it.
  10. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Microsoft Office is a significant performance hit...

    Anyway with regard to the OP:

    If you are going to get a Macbook then there's no sense in waiting. I would be *very* surprised if they got Core 2 Duo within the next 2 months.

    If you are going to get a Macbook Pro, get it a few days before you leave (Maybe the Wednesday before). Any MBP is better than a Macbook in my opinion, so if you are going to use it then just buy one and be happy with it!
  11. suneohair macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2006
    Far from significant. Office runs just fine, even with 512MB. Now CS2 is a different story.
  12. Garden Knowm thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 10, 2006
    I talked to a guy today who mentioned more GBs RAM in the new MAC BOOK Pros.... hmmmmmm

    that would be awesome
  13. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    I find it a bit too sluggish for my taste though.
  14. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2006
    I am about to go buy too. I am tired of this nonsense. At this point, there is nothing Apple can do that would really make me want an updated version. Yeah. there will be a slightly better chip, but don't do super high end work so I will probably never know. To me the important thing is stability and portability. It seems that all the kinks have been worked out of this one and I don't think it is getting any thinner or lighter. BTW, I saw a guy with an older PB in the Apple store and I was like "Holy **** that thing is a brick!!"
  15. Garden Knowm thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 10, 2006

    How about 4GB ram capability and a 20 inch screen???

    now do you want to wait a few extra days??

  16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Jul 22, 2005
    20" is too big. 4GB will only be available in 2*2GB modules, which is too expensive now. If the number of people on these forums is a good representation of the population waiting for C2D MBPs, they will take forever to ship.

Share This Page