Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliby422

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Sorry if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has. I'm contemplating getting the Mac Book Notebook (2.16 ghz) Now I know they just updated the specs and price and what not, but i'm wondering if I should wait until Leopard rolls out and get one then or just purchase it now and do the upgrade upon release. Now this will be my first Mac purchase and am very new to the OS. Should I learn the current before learning the new? Thanks Guys

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah I would recommend buying the Laptop now, because there is so much about the OS that you can learn between now and Leopards release. Leopard will not be that different from Tiger (the current OS) and it will be nice to know how to use the computer efficiently by the time Leopard is released.

aliby422

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
How long do you think this will last me, again I have no idea about longevity on notebooks or Macs in general. Thanks for your help.

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I suggest waiting until Leopard comes out. Tiger and Leopard won't be all that different to a new user, and you'll be able to have it pre-installed without going through the fuss of installing it yourself.
the real question comes down to whether you need it now, or can you get it 5 months later. plus if you've decided to buy the 2.16 GHz model, then they'll also be cheaper at that time.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
I've bought my PB 25 months ago, its never given up on me EVER. Once you've got a Mac I'd say you're in for a good three years at least. Also, there hasn't been any software that I've found to be too demanding for my computer, I expect your MB to perform the same.

How long do you think this will last me, again I have no idea about longevity on notebooks or Macs in general. Thanks for your help.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I say to buy the laptop when you need it. Yes you'll save $129 on the upgrade cost to Leopard by waiting, but you'd have 5 months of Mac-bliss in the meantime. Upgrading the OS is not a big ordeal on Mac's, so don't let that be the deciding factor. :cool:

Edit: I've had my PowerBook for 3 years now and it was a refurb of the previous model when I bought it. A current MB will certainly last you 3+ years as long as you crank up the RAM.

aliby422

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
I suggest waiting until Leopard comes out. Tiger and Leopard won't be all that different to a new user, and you'll be able to have it pre-installed without going through the fuss of installing it yourself.
the real question comes down to whether you need it now, or can you get it 5 months later. plus if you've decided to buy the 2.16 GHz model, then they'll also be cheaper at that time.

How much cheaper do you think they will be? I'm going to try to use the Education Discount and get a little knocked off the total price.

Actually my friend is going to use his education discount, will that hinder me from having the Apple Care and or the Classes they offer? Does it then come registered in his name and whatnot?

Affe

macrumors member
May 12, 2007
How much cheaper do you think they will be? I'm going to try to use the Education Discount and get a little knocked off the total price.

Actually my friend is going to use his education discount, will that hinder me from having the Apple Care and or the Classes they offer? Does it then come registered in his name and whatnot?

I believe that AppleCare is transferable.

aliby422

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
So if my friend goes in and gets me my Mac from the store with his disc, and I go in later to add the apple Care Plan it should be fine? It doesn't automatically register to his name does it? Thanks again for all the help

aliby422

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Sorry for the double post, any suggestions? Do you think that would work?

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
That should work. Applecare comes in the form of a box, kind of like software. You can open it when you get home and everything is registered online. Your friend might even be able to get an educational discount off of that too.

In terms of waiting or not, that is if you haven't decided, if you could wait and aren't in a hurry to purchase there's no harm in waiting. You might even see a better deal somewhere.

bosoxinsa

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2006
San Antonio
I had the same dilema recently when buying my macbook. The I remembered that Apple releases stuff so often that you could technically keep waiting for the next release. Just buy it!

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
Answer: Go with your friend to the store. Buy both together (Education discount can also be applied to AppleCare). When Leopard is released, buy that with the Education discount too.

Problem Solved.

Also, in terms of how long it will last you: I got my ORIGINAL 17" Aluminum PowerBook Summer of 2003 and it's still blazing along. Only getting a new MacBook cause I need the portability...and I kinda broke my lcd :(:rolleyes::eek:

Good Luck!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If the prospect of updated MacBook concerns you (i.e., buyer's remorse), but you want one now, I suggest getting the cheapest MacBook model or previous generation model (if you can find one at substantial discount) and enjoy.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
The general consensus is buy now, you can't go wrong considering that they have just been updated. One thing that most people seem to get themselves tied up in knots over is this business of trying to stay current, FORGET IT! Staying current is just going to cost you a lot of money trying to stay current or it will cause you to delay buying a perfectly decent machine now. (depends on how you react to 'current' hardware). The best thing that you can do is buy as you NEED it and set a sensible upgrade cycle and stick to it. I use a 3-4 year cycle and have so far not found any problems with it.

Sopranino

docc

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Miami
I was in the exact same spot as the OP but realised that the waiting game just never ends. Besides, i needed it now...so it was a no brainer! I highly doubt Apple releasing a Macbook refresh by October, so just get yourself the MB and enjoy the next 5 months learning all about OS X :)

Cheers.

aliby422

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Thanks guys you have all been a great help. have any of you participated in thier refunds programs? Are they good about honoring them?

docc

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Miami
Refunds program? You mean the 14 day return policy? As far as i know, Apple honors the return policy along with a 10% restocking fee as long as you have everything in the box.

If you're referring to some other program, i am clueless and would like to hear an answer from someone who knows about it.

GusR9

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
Well the answer is easy...do you need/want the actual model??
The technology on it is enough for you? Or do you feel that something in the future will be worth the wait??
If you want it now, if you need now buy it if not wait

r1400sch

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
sinbushar, I need to get a new MBP now for the same reason! In fact, I'd probably still be waiting for MBPs with leopard if I hadn't bashed the LCD on my old 12 inch a few months ago. But I need a computer for 1st year of college, and i'm not lugging my PB + hp screen up to school...just wish apple had kept to their stupid "spring" deadline. I assume the released MBPs were the ones originally intended to ship with the spring version of leopard anyway. Well that's my rant.

Don't spend your time waiting for that life-altering beast in the jungle of an update. I say carpe diem!!! You'll be much happier with your new Mac partner NEway rather than waiting and waistin your happy computer time away.

ghettochild

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sorry if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has. I'm contemplating getting the Mac Book Notebook (2.16 ghz) Now I know they just updated the specs and price and what not, but i'm wondering if I should wait until Leopard rolls out and get one then or just purchase it now and do the upgrade upon release. Now this will be my first Mac purchase and am very new to the OS. Should I learn the current before learning the new? Thanks Guys

Just look around on this forum (and/or others). You'll find a magnitude of threads about issues such as flickering, yellow-hue, heat/fans madness, etc.

I'd wait for the next revision.

aliby422

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Refund = meant to say Rebate, ie... the 200.00 rebate on the nano's? Are they usually good about that? So when do you think there will be a new revision? I thought alot of the problems you listed were on the MBP's but hey i'm new to all this.

ghettochild

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Refund = meant to say Rebate, ie... the 200.00 rebate on the nano's? Are they usually good about that? So when do you think there will be a new revision? I thought alot of the problems you listed were on the MBP's but hey i'm new to all this.

Sorry, you're correct. I didn't read your post thoroughly enough. Indeed, the problems I mentioned apply to the new MBPs. I have no idea what's going on with the MBs.

Sorry again, my bad.

As for the rebates, I sent in the "paperwork" for 2 iPod Minis about 2 years ago and I had my checks in the mail about 6 weeks later. Just make sure you follow the instructions for the rebate and make copies of all receipts, UPC code, forms, etc. Also, it doesn't hurt if you send it with registered mail/delivery confirmation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.