Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aliby422, Jun 19, 2007.

  1. aliby422 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #1
    Sorry if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has. I'm contemplating getting the Mac Book Notebook (2.16 ghz) Now I know they just updated the specs and price and what not, but i'm wondering if I should wait until Leopard rolls out and get one then or just purchase it now and do the upgrade upon release. Now this will be my first Mac purchase and am very new to the OS. Should I learn the current before learning the new? Thanks Guys
     
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #2
    Yeah I would recommend buying the Laptop now, because there is so much about the OS that you can learn between now and Leopards release. Leopard will not be that different from Tiger (the current OS) and it will be nice to know how to use the computer efficiently by the time Leopard is released.
     
  3. aliby422 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #3
    How long do you think this will last me, again I have no idea about longevity on notebooks or Macs in general. Thanks for your help.
     
  4. Illicit macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2007
    Location:
    Waterloo, ON
    #4
    I suggest waiting until Leopard comes out. Tiger and Leopard won't be all that different to a new user, and you'll be able to have it pre-installed without going through the fuss of installing it yourself.
    the real question comes down to whether you need it now, or can you get it 5 months later. plus if you've decided to buy the 2.16 GHz model, then they'll also be cheaper at that time.
     
  5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

    CRAZYBUBBA

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto/Houston
    #5
    I've bought my PB 25 months ago, its never given up on me EVER. Once you've got a Mac I'd say you're in for a good three years at least. Also, there hasn't been any software that I've found to be too demanding for my computer, I expect your MB to perform the same.

     
  6. AlexGFX88 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
  7. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #7
    I say to buy the laptop when you need it. Yes you'll save $129 on the upgrade cost to Leopard by waiting, but you'd have 5 months of Mac-bliss in the meantime. Upgrading the OS is not a big ordeal on Mac's, so don't let that be the deciding factor. :cool:

    Edit: I've had my PowerBook for 3 years now and it was a refurb of the previous model when I bought it. A current MB will certainly last you 3+ years as long as you crank up the RAM.
     
  8. aliby422 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #8

    How much cheaper do you think they will be? I'm going to try to use the Education Discount and get a little knocked off the total price.

    Actually my friend is going to use his education discount, will that hinder me from having the Apple Care and or the Classes they offer? Does it then come registered in his name and whatnot?
     
  9. Affe macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2007
    #9
    I believe that AppleCare is transferable.
     
  10. aliby422 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #10
    So if my friend goes in and gets me my Mac from the store with his disc, and I go in later to add the apple Care Plan it should be fine? It doesn't automatically register to his name does it? Thanks again for all the help
     
  11. aliby422 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #11
    Sorry for the double post, any suggestions? Do you think that would work?
     
  12. showtime macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    #12
    That should work. Applecare comes in the form of a box, kind of like software. You can open it when you get home and everything is registered online. Your friend might even be able to get an educational discount off of that too.

    In terms of waiting or not, that is if you haven't decided, if you could wait and aren't in a hurry to purchase there's no harm in waiting. You might even see a better deal somewhere.
     
  13. bosoxinsa macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2006
    Location:
    San Antonio
    #13
    I had the same dilema recently when buying my macbook. The I remembered that Apple releases stuff so often that you could technically keep waiting for the next release. Just buy it!
     
  14. sinbushar macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2002
    Location:
    Jersey
    #14
    Answer: Go with your friend to the store. Buy both together (Education discount can also be applied to AppleCare). When Leopard is released, buy that with the Education discount too.

    Problem Solved.

    Also, in terms of how long it will last you: I got my ORIGINAL 17" Aluminum PowerBook Summer of 2003 and it's still blazing along. Only getting a new MacBook cause I need the portability...and I kinda broke my lcd :(:rolleyes::eek:

    Good Luck!
     
  15. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #15
    If the prospect of updated MacBook concerns you (i.e., buyer's remorse), but you want one now, I suggest getting the cheapest MacBook model or previous generation model (if you can find one at substantial discount) and enjoy.
     
  16. Sopranino macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Location:
    Alberta, Canada
    #16
    The general consensus is buy now, you can't go wrong considering that they have just been updated. One thing that most people seem to get themselves tied up in knots over is this business of trying to stay current, FORGET IT! Staying current is just going to cost you a lot of money trying to stay current or it will cause you to delay buying a perfectly decent machine now. (depends on how you react to 'current' hardware). The best thing that you can do is buy as you NEED it and set a sensible upgrade cycle and stick to it. I use a 3-4 year cycle and have so far not found any problems with it.

    Sopranino
     
  17. docc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Miami
    #17
    I was in the exact same spot as the OP but realised that the waiting game just never ends. Besides, i needed it now...so it was a no brainer! I highly doubt Apple releasing a Macbook refresh by October, so just get yourself the MB and enjoy the next 5 months learning all about OS X :)

    Cheers.
     
  18. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
  19. aliby422 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #19
    Thanks guys you have all been a great help. have any of you participated in thier refunds programs? Are they good about honoring them?
     
  20. docc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Miami
    #20
    Refunds program? You mean the 14 day return policy? As far as i know, Apple honors the return policy along with a 10% restocking fee as long as you have everything in the box.

    If you're referring to some other program, i am clueless and would like to hear an answer from someone who knows about it.
     
  21. GusR9 macrumors member

    GusR9

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    #21
    Well the answer is easy...do you need/want the actual model??
    The technology on it is enough for you? Or do you feel that something in the future will be worth the wait??
    If you want it now, if you need now buy it if not wait
     
  22. r1400sch macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #22
    sinbushar, I need to get a new MBP now for the same reason! In fact, I'd probably still be waiting for MBPs with leopard if I hadn't bashed the LCD on my old 12 inch a few months ago. But I need a computer for 1st year of college, and i'm not lugging my PB + hp screen up to school...just wish apple had kept to their stupid "spring" deadline. I assume the released MBPs were the ones originally intended to ship with the spring version of leopard anyway. Well that's my rant.

    Don't spend your time waiting for that life-altering beast in the jungle of an update. I say carpe diem!!! You'll be much happier with your new Mac partner NEway rather than waiting and waistin your happy computer time away.
     
  23. ghettochild macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2007
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #23
    Just look around on this forum (and/or others). You'll find a magnitude of threads about issues such as flickering, yellow-hue, heat/fans madness, etc.

    I'd wait for the next revision.
     
  24. aliby422 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #24
    Refund = meant to say Rebate, ie... the 200.00 rebate on the nano's? Are they usually good about that? So when do you think there will be a new revision? I thought alot of the problems you listed were on the MBP's but hey i'm new to all this.
     
  25. ghettochild macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2007
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #25
    Sorry, you're correct. I didn't read your post thoroughly enough. Indeed, the problems I mentioned apply to the new MBPs. I have no idea what's going on with the MBs.

    Sorry again, my bad.

    As for the rebates, I sent in the "paperwork" for 2 iPod Minis about 2 years ago and I had my checks in the mail about 6 weeks later. Just make sure you follow the instructions for the rebate and make copies of all receipts, UPC code, forms, etc. Also, it doesn't hurt if you send it with registered mail/delivery confirmation.
     

Share This Page