Buy Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nexus144, Apr 2, 2008.

1. nexus144 macrumors member

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to whether I should an iPod Touch now or wait. I was convinced when it first came out that I would wait to larger/cheaper sizes but after seeing the SDK Event video, I've broken down.

I was leaning towards the 16gb model as the 32gb is far to expensive right now. Do think I should buy one now, or wait for refresh? I figured I would buy the 16gb now, and then buy a 64gb or maybe 128gb on the next refresh (maybe around Christmas, if they do another refresh then)

Thanks for any responses.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

If 32GB is expensive in your eyes, 64GB will be either the same price or more expensive. As for 128GB... not for at least eighteen months, probably September 2009 or early 2010. It all depends on how much you want on your device. Some people will tell you that you need to get the 32GB if you buy now, but others do just fine on 8GB. So look at your library, see what you actually listen to/watch, and go from there. There's no point in getting a device with a capacity that you'll never use.

3. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Buy NOW!

and

save save save

well maybe not s a v e

but

you'll have one, right?

oh heck, I don't know butt,

I couldn't live without mine :D

4. simplyme91 macrumors newbie

Do you need it now? If so then go ahead and get it, if not it can't hurt to wait.

5. nexus144 thread starter macrumors member

I have thought about that, I have an 80gb classic thats about half full with music, and to be honest I don't even listen to maybe 2 or 3 gb of music at a time before I'm able to sync it again.

The video playback (the classic screen is just to small) and apps are what really intrigue me.

6. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I'm in a similar dilemma myself, to be honest! I'm interested in the 16GB iPod Touch, the 8GB is just too small in my opinion.

Last week there was discussion of a price drop, and even Apple NL messed up and an advertisement for iPod Touch's at 199 euros was seen in iTunes before it was supposed to. So it does appear that a drop in price is coming. I'd originally wanted to get a 16GB, but if/when these price changes come in (every model being reduced by 100 euros is the theory) then I would be able to afford the 32GB model.

Of course it is totally possible that this might take ages to be implemented or that it's only the 8GB model that sees the initial price reduction. Perhaps to phase it out!?

I currently only own a 512Mb iPod Shuffle, but until now it's really suited me needs. I don't actually 'need' to upgrade but would of course very much like to. I'm prepared to wait a few weeks to see how it all pans out....mostly because I'm a cheap SOB! ;)

If I had not seen the advert then I would have probably immediately gone out and bought one.

No one can make these decisions for you. Technology always moves fast and you're always going to feel slighted at one point or another. I bought my MacBook and two weeks later my local store had them on sale. That's life! I needed it that week to begin writing my thesis so I purchase it. I've got a bit more time to think about the iPod Touch.

Take time to think for yourself....if you NEED it buy it! If you're happy to wait for a week or two to see what happens...then do that!

Hope this helps!

3B

7. ~L~ macrumors member

I'm also one caught in the same kind of problem :p
    Right now, I'm considering either a 16GB Touch or an 80GB Classic, upgrading from a 2nd Gen Nano.

The most annoying thing I've found while trying to gather up my decision is that almost all the reviews I've read on the Touch seem adamant on comparing it with the iPhone, which is obviously justifiable in a sense, but at the end of the day they aren't really competing products.

Can anyone in MR give a short opinion on their Touch to help out? Without comparing it to the iPhone please ;)

8. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

9. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

The touch is amazing in so many ways. I figure an extra 100 bucks for 16 more gigs is a great deal.

We've had this debate a few times. More is always nice, but you know what? I waffle on this from month to month. I have a CD collection ripped at 192 that takes up about 12 gigs or so. Not a tremendous amount, but I only rip music I own, so my collection is small in comparison to many. I only listen to maybe 4 gigs worth of it on a very regular basis.

So, with my ipod touch, music only takes up about 4 of my 16 gb's. I wish I had a 32, but bought it right before x-mas and I'm still very happy with it. I use Handbrake to rip full length DVD movies. So, I can put on another 10 or 11 movies, plus a season of Family Guy.

I wish I had more gigs, but I don't really *need* it. I travel a lot and use the touch for plane rides and in the hotel to play around. I'm happy with it.

10. atomheartmother macrumors regular

128GB?!?! Who has THAT much music. That's literally MILLIONS of dollars worth of music (assuming it was bought legally). I can't imagine anyone ever permanently using up 128 GB for music and video.

11. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Are you looking for an MP3 (or MP4 really) player or a digital multimedia (almost mini computer) device? If you're looking primarily for an MP3 player, I'd pass on the Touch. It's much more of the latter and is becoming more and more of a mini-computer/PDA with every update. For an MP3 player, I'd just jump for the Classic (personally, I'd go with the 8 GB Nano, but I don't have much media), which you can score for maybe $220 new on eBay.

You really have to ask yourself how much you'll use the internet functionality and the current and future apps. If the answer is seldom, don't bother with the Touch. You can get a better MP3 player with more space for less (e.g., the Classic).

Personally, I'll take the Touch, but that's because I like all the computer like functions.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Ummm... you do realize that there's a 160GB iPod as well, right? Most people with music libraries over 10GB pirate most of it. Some people don't, but a lot do. As for video, though, I can eaisly see someone having that much. Many people collect DVDs, so it wouldn't take too much effort to rip them and put them onto the device.

Also, as a sidenote, try selecting multi quote next time (button next to quote) so that you only make one post. It can be a good time saver.

13. nexus144 thread starter macrumors member

What do you guys make of the rumors of the $100 price drop on the 16gb and 32gb?

If there is going to be a price drop on the 32gb to $399, I may just wait until it happens....

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

It should happen eventually, but you may be in for a long wait. September at the earliest. Search to learn. Not only will the date be determined by the price of flash memory, but also how the US dollar holds up on the global market.

15. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

When the price drops eventually I doubt it would be as high as $100. I think it would be around the $50 range. We all know about apple and their profits. If they won't put a $3 wall charger in the box I can't see that high of a price drop.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Just got a 32 gig off some guy in BFE on CL for 340. :D I'm selling my jailbroken 16 on CL to a fellow today for 300. :cool:

I went from a 80 gig 5.5 video to a 16 gig, and there is no comparison between the two. The interface for playing music, etc., can't be beat. It's incredibly cool to have email and the web at your fingertips, and the touch works as a credible pda/scheduler. It's small, light, and is not as fragile as the hard drive based pods. Unlike my photo or 5.5, I havent' had to take one back to the apple store yet. I thought I'd miss the storage going from 80 gigs to 16, but I haven't; I've learned to manage my music and videos better.

Jailbreaking the touch raises it to a whole new level of awesomeness. (I'm forty, and don't like that word being overused, but nothing else adequately describes it.) There is a wealth of 3rd party apps being written for the platform every day, and they exponentially increase the usefulness of the device. You wouldn't believe how much attention they get, even from my iPhone toting bretheren. :p

As for your question of, 'Gee, what if they bring out a new device?', I say to get one now if you can find one for a decent price. I'm not being paid to plug craigslist, but try looking there if you live near a large metro area. Let's say they come out with new software in June or July. Guess what, you can buy the upgrade! I know a lot of people were made over the $20 functionality charge, but it sure beats having to buy a whole new ipod for some cool new features. They may come out with new hardware (3g, better camera, or whatever) but I'd be willing to bet that the non software features will come out on the iPhone first, and on the touch six months or so later. And if they come out with a feature you can't live without on a new model, you can sell your current rig as long as you protect it and take care of it. More than likely, they'll just upgrade the memory and hopefully the same price points.

I don't know what Steve will come up with in June, but I'm having a hard time fathoming what he could pull out of his pocket that would make me throw down my current jailbroken touch in disgust.

17. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

touch took a swim

My iPod touch fell in the water and works (well, everything except the sound card and the battery. The battery doesn't even charge, but works if plugged in)

I'm going to phone Apple to see what I can do about it, if it's under garentee or anything... but I'm going to buy a new one as soon as it comes out!:D

18. LAPTOP GAMER macrumors newbie

I am going to wait as I hear that there are a lot of internet functions you cant do with it like cut and paste,for 3 to $500 you should be able to do that.

19. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Thought i'd throw me two cents into this topic once again. I'm over in the UK at the moment and I wandered into Curry's where I picked up a 16GB touch for 229 pounds! I knew my patience would run out before a price drop appeared!

It works out even cheaper thanks to the strength of the euro at the current time! It's safe to say I'm a happy chap at the moment! :)

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

That's helpful :D

I would buy now. I got mine in september, but if I were in the market today, I would not hold my breath. Buy now, and that is an order! :p

21. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I say wait, if you really want it when it finally goes on sale then you know you've made a good purchase. Although I have not regretted getting mine. At first I got an 8gb for christmas but it broke and I returned it without a receipt so I was stuck with a walmart gift card, and they were CONSTANTLY sold out of the ipod touches. So I found someone to buy my giftcard and then I saw a guy on craigslist (who lives close by) selling a 32gb brand new in box Ipod touch for 400. I mean, why not? So I already had 315 from selling the giftcard, so I paid $85 for a 32gb ipod touch. So it pays to wait. I waited from the end of December to the beginning of March.

22. nexus144 thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure the cut & paste issue can be fixed in a software update.

EDIT: I recently found a guy selling a new in box but opened 32gb ipod touch on craigslist. He's asking for $400 and he apparently still has the receipt. I'm just a bit worried about getting ripped of with a broken ipod or something.

A brand new 16gb ipod touch is about $420 with tax so I'm just trying to decided if I want the extra space or the safety of buying from a store.

Also, all of the 32gb ones come with the Janurary update right?

23. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

My 32gb came with the update. Ask if you can see the ipod first, bring a friend (I bought my goon-looking bf) and check it out, bring headphones (I don't share headphones:p) listen to it for a bit, check the receipts. Just don't get it shipped to you, because then you could get scammed.

24. nexus144 thread starter macrumors member

The one I found is actually unopened. It almost seems to good to be true, but I'm going to go have a look at it. If this is real it will be quite a good deal as here in Canada, a 32gb touch is almost $600 with tax new in box from Apple.