Buy now, or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BeSweeet, Apr 7, 2009.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I'll be going to college soon and I REALLY want to get a Macbook of some sort. I want it to have at least 4GB of RAM. Hopefully the 9400M will be decent for light gaming. I love my perfectly working copy of Mac OS X Leopard on my laptop, but I just want to buy a real Mac for self-satisfaction.

I heard that the Macbook's are going to be getting much faster CPU's later this year. So, should I buy one now, or wait until those come out? I'll most likely wait until the new ones come out (if they do) for that extra power.

2. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Do some searchs. Tons of threads about it.

Wise answer: Wait and take advantage of the back to school promotion to get an iPod in June.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

As I say in every other thread EVER created with this title that I come across...

If you need it, buy it; if you don't need it, wait.

Technology is ALWAYS improving, so if you take up the "wait it out" attitude, you'll never buy anything.

5. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I mean, there are millions of threads about this. There will be faster processors in the future, as far as the type of update this summer, I doubt they will be terribly faster. It all depends on your usage. If you are maximizing your CPU and doing heavy CPU-reliant tasks, then maybe it would be worth it. From my experience, the changes (or refreshes) from the previous model are not significant for the average user, you normally once notice them when you wait a few cycles to update.

Here is the MR guide, it may be helpful:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook

6. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I'm not going to worry about Nehalem. I am buying next refresh, which is almost guaranteed to happen around Snow Leopard's release. That should be between June and July. Go for the iPod Promo, printer, and the MB. You'll be happiest then.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Wait for the "Back-to-School" special starting in July sometime.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Unless you absolutely need it for school right now, I would wait until summer for the Back to School specials to come out. We may also know more about Snow Leopard at that time.

Bryan

9. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

as has been said already you could probably pick up a good back to school offer in july so unless you really need it now i would wait it out

10. hndn macrumors regular

If you want it, buy it. I intended to wait for summer promotion but I ended up with the white MB since last week for $800 instead of spending $950 with a free ipod that I don't need. It's an upgraded model, love it.

11. relativist macrumors regular

Sounds like you have a functioning machine, that being the case, you should wait till the next major revision if you can. By then SL will be out, and the 15" might have the same battery design as the 17".

12. UrFatMom macrumors regular

I don't know why anyone would need quad core on a MB. If you need quad core in the first place get something better, like say the MBP.

So you should just buy a regular MB this summer and get a free iPod touch! (wich you can sell in sealed box if you don't need)

13. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

You get a free iPod Touch? I'll just sell it :p.

I would get the MBP but it costs too much money and it doesn't seem to have that much better hardware.

14. UrFatMom macrumors regular

Well last year they gave a free iPod touch (8gig), so we can assume they'll do the same this year

15. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Ah, the eternal question. ;)

The eternal answer: buy when you need it, and don't worry about whether there's a better one coming in a few months. There always is.

16. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Sometimes I wonder if ppl start these types of threads b/c they seriously expect to get a mind-blowing answer that will solve all their decision-making problems, or if they're just playing some sort of sick, cruel joke...just baiting GGJ & Co. to come on with their schpiel about MRoogle...:D

What's equally amazing is the number of ppl who even bother to reply, just so that they can give the exact same answers that are out there on the countless number of threads about the exact same topic.:confused:

Yes, I am aware that I'm one of the ones who just got baited into replying...and that someone else has probably already answered with this exact same rant in a similar thread...

Aah! We're all stuck in the friggin' Twilight Zone!!! (cue music)

:p

17. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

music takes unnecessary bandwidth so we won't be cueing it. Sorry :(

18. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Dang. Ruined my Hollywood moment...:(