Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pokernut, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Pokernut macrumors member

I'm looking to purchase a Macbook some time in the near future and was wondering if I should wait for an update or not. This purchase would be more for pleasure than a necessity b/c my current laptop works fine, and I don't mind waiting a bit if they are planning on upgrading the Macbook soon.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Search the forums now, or search the forums now?

Upgrade... to WHAT. You won't notice new processors until Arrandale in 2010.

3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Probably June.

4. Pokernut thread starter macrumors member

ty

5. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat but it seems that most people think June would be likely but nobody knows. If its a small processor bump then I don't feel like waiting but I wonder if it could be a little more of a change or a price drop would make me wait. So confused still...and no one seems to agree on what it will be or when.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Probably because nobody knows, and people want different things.

7. DPB17 macrumors 6502

If you buy now and in 6 months they release an update you'll be kicking yourself.

8. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I have to respectfully disagree with this. It'll just be an update, maybe a slightly faster processor and/or larger standard hard drive. If you buy now, you'll have a perfectly good machine. If a redesign was expected, then waiting would be a good idea (although I am very happy I have a BlackBook as opposed to an AluBook).

9. iBecks macrumors 6502

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Only an idiot would "kick himself" for an update six months later. This is tech. It changes. This is how fast it changes. Get. Freaking. Used. To. It. :confused:

11. Matek macrumors 6502a

Stop being a wise ass. According to the buyer's guide an average update period of MacBook updates is 195 days, which means it's practically impossible to get a MacBook at such a timethat it isn't updated in 6 months.

12. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Good point. If I were the OP and I didn't desperately need a new computer I would wait until the summer and see if, like you said, any small revisions are released. Otherwise buy now. The reason I said to wait was because around 5 months before the iPhone 3G was released I tied myself into a 18 month contract with the 1st Gen iPhone and was so annoyed when the 3G came out.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That was your decision. You knew there would be an update to the hardware and you knew that you had "tied" yourself to 18 months of obligation.

14. DPB17 macrumors 6502

I said that on the presumption that an update would mean a complete revamp of the line. Looking at some of the rumors floating around and the orders Apple are reportedly making for a new product in the summer, wouldn't the OP be better to wait if they can until the summer and then weigh up the options.

15. DPB17 macrumors 6502

At that time I don't think the 3G was confirmed.

16. relativist macrumors regular

It's very simple, if your asking the question should I buy now, then the answer is no. Why? because if you really needed it now and couldn't wait you would not be asking. Buy right when they release an update, of if there's another good reason (e.g. like the $200 MIR for a Macbook Microcenter had). I bought my old Macbook last year on the release date, and was very happy with it until I messed up and let the warranty lapse. I bought my current Macbook to get that $200 MIR.

17. molala macrumors 6502a

i would wait. i know they're just rumors, but june is so close anyway.

also, rev B products are usually much better than rev A's (the current aluminum line). in fact i prefer to get later updates of a tried and tested model than new redesigned products.

18. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

If there is an update im sure it will be to the processor only if that. However, I've read today that apple is planning price cuts across the consumer line 20" imac and macbook 2ghz so that is a better reason to wait. Also, it seems probable, if you read the article it seems to make sense.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, wait.

If your current laptop is meeting your needs, use it until it no longer does so.

If you can get another year's use or two out of your current rig, you can buy the next revision of the macbook, which will doubtlessly have more ram, a better processor, larger hard drive and probably a couple of other cool new features that we cannot now think of for the same money.

20. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I would hold out a until summer. I think in general people could hold on to their MBs a little longer. Some new upgrades are coming and there will be more to chose from soon- maybe not even a MB but a tablet or a new iPhone.

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

There will be no significant updates until the mobile version of i7 in late 2009 or early 2010. So either buy now, or wait it out.

22. Pokernut thread starter macrumors member

Ty for all the advice, much appreciated.

I'll probably just wait a bit and see what happens.

23. J.711 macrumors newbie

J.711

I doubt there will be any big changes for the current macbook line.. maybe they might drop the white one and lower the price of the alum ones by a bit, but I have a feeling all they're gonna do this June is talk about the release date of Snow Leopard and the new iPhone.