Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syndragore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Do you think the next revision for the iMac will be a big change design and performance-wise? I am thinking of upgrading my old mid-2007 iMac 20" but am unsure about whether or not waiting for the next revision would be a good idea. Any help?

And does anyone know if Apple might end up adding a touchscreen to the next iMac revision?

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
it never really hurts to wait and see what happens with the next update. As long as it doesn't take too long...cause if you wait a while and then buy it, they always release an update shortly thereafter. So annoying :rolleyes:

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
They literally just announced new iMacs a week ago. The next revision won't be for quite some time, especially if it is a major revision. This cycle will likely be longer than usual as well, as intel isn't planning on any major processor updates until either Q3 or 4 of next year. So you are looking at a year for that. Don't worry about that, I would just buy now. I would also venture a guess that the chances of a touchscreen iMac are very small, especially in their current sizes. They wouldn't get rid of the glass screen and a 27" capacitive touch screen would be very expensive.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
This cycle will likely be longer than usual as well, as intel isn't planning on any major processor updates until either Q3 or 4 of next year.

The Intel roadmap has mainstream laptop and desktop Sandy Bridge processors released Q4 2010. Assuming no delays, it'll be ready and fine for a less-than-1-year refresh of the low-end iMacs.

High-end desktop Sandy Bridge, i.e. 6/8-core, CPU's won't be available till Q3 2011. Which will delay the high-end iMac refresh if they have any intent on putting those into them.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The Intel roadmap has mainstream laptop and desktop Sandy Bridge processors released Q4 2010. Assuming no delays, it'll be ready and fine for a less-than-1-year refresh of the low-end iMacs.

High-end desktop Sandy Bridge, i.e. 6/8-core, CPU's won't be available till Q3 2011. Which will delay the high-end iMac refresh if they have any intent on putting those into them.

Gotcha, I was thinking thew were all looking at 2011, but knowing apple, they may wait anyhow.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I'm from the old school of "if it ain't broke or isn't struggling, then don't replace it". Thus, I don't upgrade my computer for 5-6 years (unless it broken).

If my current "suddenly" broken Win XP tower box was still working, I'd probably wait for the next iMac re-fresh. I hear future might have USB 3.0 (great for external devices) and hopefully, better Blu-Ray connectivity (directly or 3rd party external devices).

If wondering, I placed my order for new iMac i3 / 3.2 last night. New iMac box will arrive between Aug 6 - 16 (due to my remote region). If it wasn't to replace my broken Win XP tower box, I'd wait for next iMac release. But, that's just "cheap me".

Good luck - on which ever you decide...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.