Buy now or wait?

syndragore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
21
1
Do you think the next revision for the iMac will be a big change design and performance-wise? I am thinking of upgrading my old mid-2007 iMac 20" but am unsure about whether or not waiting for the next revision would be a good idea. Any help?

And does anyone know if Apple might end up adding a touchscreen to the next iMac revision?
 

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
698
3
Prescott, AZ
it never really hurts to wait and see what happens with the next update. As long as it doesn't take too long...cause if you wait a while and then buy it, they always release an update shortly thereafter. So annoying :rolleyes:
 
Comment

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
4,779
1
On the fence
They literally just announced new iMacs a week ago. The next revision won't be for quite some time, especially if it is a major revision. This cycle will likely be longer than usual as well, as intel isn't planning on any major processor updates until either Q3 or 4 of next year. So you are looking at a year for that. Don't worry about that, I would just buy now. I would also venture a guess that the chances of a touchscreen iMac are very small, especially in their current sizes. They wouldn't get rid of the glass screen and a 27" capacitive touch screen would be very expensive.
 
Comment

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
1,026
0
Sydney, Australia
This cycle will likely be longer than usual as well, as intel isn't planning on any major processor updates until either Q3 or 4 of next year.
The Intel roadmap has mainstream laptop and desktop Sandy Bridge processors released Q4 2010. Assuming no delays, it'll be ready and fine for a less-than-1-year refresh of the low-end iMacs.

High-end desktop Sandy Bridge, i.e. 6/8-core, CPU's won't be available till Q3 2011. Which will delay the high-end iMac refresh if they have any intent on putting those into them.
 
Comment

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
4,779
1
On the fence
The Intel roadmap has mainstream laptop and desktop Sandy Bridge processors released Q4 2010. Assuming no delays, it'll be ready and fine for a less-than-1-year refresh of the low-end iMacs.

High-end desktop Sandy Bridge, i.e. 6/8-core, CPU's won't be available till Q3 2011. Which will delay the high-end iMac refresh if they have any intent on putting those into them.
Gotcha, I was thinking thew were all looking at 2011, but knowing apple, they may wait anyhow.
 
Comment

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
662
0
I'm from the old school of "if it ain't broke or isn't struggling, then don't replace it". Thus, I don't upgrade my computer for 5-6 years (unless it broken).

If my current "suddenly" broken Win XP tower box was still working, I'd probably wait for the next iMac re-fresh. I hear future might have USB 3.0 (great for external devices) and hopefully, better Blu-Ray connectivity (directly or 3rd party external devices).

If wondering, I placed my order for new iMac i3 / 3.2 last night. New iMac box will arrive between Aug 6 - 16 (due to my remote region). If it wasn't to replace my broken Win XP tower box, I'd wait for next iMac release. But, that's just "cheap me".

Good luck - on which ever you decide...

.
 
Comment

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.