Buy now rMBP 13" or wait for hypothetical upgrades in June-July?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ciberkarlos, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ciberkarlos macrumors member

Hi everyone, i wan't to buy a rMBP 13"but i don't know if it's a good moment (just updated) or if i should better wait for an hypothetical summer upgrade, since MBP and MBA are expected to be updated in June-July. I need it as soon as possible, but if another upgrade is coming for summer, i could wait.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

You never know with Apple. Last year people were waiting for the iMac upgrade since Apr-May, but Apple never upgraded till Nov-Dec.
    Buy a refurb Retina 13 for 1269. Thats a good deal.

3. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice, yeah it's a great deal:)

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Wait for the refresh. Then if you aren't impressed with the new features, you can get the current model at a discount from the refurb bin.

5. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

I think that i will wait until June-July, and if there is no upgrades or the upgrades are minimum, i will buy a refurb. Rigth now, the october'12, 13' rMBP with i7 and 512gb flash storage has a price of 1779$. I think it's a great great deal, since in Spain (my country) this model (new, no refurb) cost 2229€=2878$

Thank you for the advice, i think i will definetly buy a refurbished one.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Do you have a decent computer right now? I'm waiting for the update myself, but I'm currently using a 2011 13in MBA, so I'm fine.

Can't say I haven't been tempted by refurb prices though ;)

7. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i have a 2010 13in MBP with 8gb and 256 flash storage, so i could wait a few months:). However, my girlfriend´s laptop is dying and now we are sharing mine, so, taking into account that the first 13in rMBP were released on october 2012 and an small upgrade came last month, it makes me thing that we have to wait too much for the next upgrade, although with Apple you never know.

But new non retina MBP and MBA are expected to be announced on June´s WWDC (like last year), so, basically, i´m lost!!

8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Ha! My girlfriend's laptop is dying as well (Dell from ~'09), so she hogs my MBA a lot. Luckily I also have a 2011 27in iMac to use and more recently, a snazzy Brydge keyboard attachment (that I got for over half off!) for my 3rd gen iPad (not perfect, but nice for being lazy in bed).

As for updates - I think we'll see the classic MBP get dropped (perhaps it'll live another year, but I think it's 50/50) and won't see rMBP/MBA updates until at least August. Haswell isn't in a rush, it seems (remember, the desktop full-voltage CPUs will be released first, which is slated for early summer I think... then followed by low-voltage and ultra-low voltage variants weeks/months later)

9. lcmazza macrumors regular

Nvermind. :)

10. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

You are right, we won't (probably) see rMBP updates until August-September at least. I think i will wait until Apple offers refurbished 2013 13in rMBP (now they sell the model released on October 2012) and then get it:D

However i fear that few months later, Apple will finally release an update and i will be:eek. I still remember when i switch to Mac and i bought my MBP on december 2012, and two months later Apple upgrade it with the same price but nice upgrades. So typical

11. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I'm in a similar position, need to get rid of my iMac to free up some living space, my wife has just got a student discount card so I can get a decent amount of money off one...for her studies...obviously :D

I've read rumours that MBP refresh will be a new shape, and I couldn't handle that if I bought one now! Trying to wait for the refresh, hoping it will be in June

12. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

That's the "problem", i've heard rumors too which said that Apple will update the next generation MBP and MBA with retina displays. So, if that's true, every Apple laptops will have retina displays. Like you, i hope that the refresh come in June, if not, i will definetly buy a refurbished one.