Buy Now rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by temm, Jul 27, 2013.

1. temm macrumors newbie

Hi,

I live in Greece and I'll be traveling to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks where prices are really cheap.

The current rMBP 15 (which is sold 700 euros less) would work fine for me and i don't need the Haswell processor, but i have seen there have been continuous problems with the current version especially with the screen
    http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/20/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-problems-in-every-dimension/

Do the latest revisions of rMBP continue to have these problems? I wouldn't mind if a new rMBP would launch in a month, since the price is killer if i purchase it now, but i would mind potential problems with the current model.

Teo

2. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

That's what the warranty is for why stress over it, buy one enjoy it and if the screen has any issues which you will always get people online saying about faulty screens, there are millions with no issues. Apple will replace the screen for you. 700 euros is a huge discount and if you want to upgrade to Haswell when released sell it

3. Shmanky macrumors regular

I have a 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro and I say don't buy it now. Even if you get a good screen the system is often slow because of all the pixels that the graphics processor has to push. It is especially slow when using Mission Control.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a 2012 rMBP, gorgeous screen, fast. I'm not experience any slowness. I use the beast every day and it works great :D

5. walkie macrumors 6502

I have the 2013 rMBP and don't have the problems some people have reported about lags, mission control in mine is fast, scrolling on web browsers on certain pages (Facebook, theverge, tumbler) was an annoying problem in the past but with last versions this issue has completely disappeared specially on the Safari WebKit, the next MacOS Mavericks will address even more tweaks on this regard, so if you don't need the power of Haswell is ok to buy now.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^The only thing Haswell appears to bring to the table is a slightly faster CPU, potentially faster GPU (though the one in the MBA is about the same speed as the old one) and much better battery life.

I can see the advantages of the improved power savings, but Mavericks has its own set of power saving technology and for me, the CPU/GPU on the current rMBP are fast enough. My point for many people Haswell is nice but not a must have.

7. temm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your input.

As mentioned, the majority doesn't have problems. I guess i won't worry too much about it, since the price is unbeatable, and go with the favourable percentage.

Mavericks, as we've seen, will have better scrolling at least with webKit and mail and maybe it will address some of the problems mission controls users are having.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

9. applepie555 macrumors regular

Buy Now rMBP?

Only 700 euros ($929 US)???!!!! Where?

10. alex0002 macrumors 6502

These pre-Haswell discounts are crazy aren't they? :D

I'm sure he means it is 700 euros less than the Greece/EU prices.
    He is saving 700 euros from what he would pay in Greece.