Buy now, sell in June?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tyrion, Feb 12, 2011.

  1. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

    Oct 15, 2002
    My university is offering the 11-inch MBA at a slight discount AND with free AppleCare until early March. I'm contemplating whether I should get one as a mobile typewriter/messaging machine (to take to my office, basically - I have no PC there, so something like the MBA would be perfect). The new rumors about a June update really made me unsure as to how to proceed. The way I see it, I have two options now:

    1) Buy the MBA now, resell it in June (if new ones come out) with the free AppleCare still unused. Do you think I'd be able to sell it at a decent price or would I eat drastic losses?
    2) Be more cautious and simply buy a much cheaper, yet decent netbook (Thinkpad Edge 11, HP dm1z, something like that). This would tide me over until June.

    Which option would you choose?
  2. torbjoern macrumors 65816


    Jun 9, 2009
    The Black Lodge
    Discount and free AppleCare? I'd say go for option # 1. If there is an upgrade in June, it will probably be just a spec bump - not a major change.
  3. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    I wouldn't buy it if you plan to sell it when the next model comes out since that tells me that the current model doesn't meet your needs. If it does, get it and enjoy it, but the selling and upgrading will end up costing you about the same as just waiting.
  4. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 15, 2002
    It definitely meets my needs, I know this for a fact, since I would only use it for the most basic tasks. The reselling thing would be more akin to a psychological maneuver - it wouldn't feel good to plunk down close to 1'200 bucks (that's the converted price of an MBA in my country, yes, even with a discount) for a machine that's outdated after 3-4 months. So, IF the MBA gets updated in June, I'm willing to concede a small loss just to remain on top of things, just so my purchase now won't feel like a mistake. Question is, will the resale value hold up? Do you figure that the free applecare might help?
  5. PeterKG macrumors 6502

    May 2, 2003
    It is only a rumor that they will be updated in June. We see on this web site just how often those turn out to be the real. There will always be updates to hardware. If you need it now, buy it. If you want to wait until June to see if the supposed rumor comes true, you can do that.
  6. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    even if you get that model, it will be outdated in a few more months, with computers you can't worry about having the most up to date model unless you've got a ton of money. So that's why I'd reccomend buying and keeping it if it meets your needs.
  7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
    your trying to figure which one would loss the least...

    kinda a tough one to figure....guess it all depends how much better next model is...

    -lets say it does get sandy but with built in intel graphics...i would think the air with nvidia would still be very popular...that and your apple care...your loss would be min...say 100- or less

    -if on the other hand the new airs with sandy get killer graphics also...then yours would be worth a fair amount less 200 +

    -the netbooks your talking about...are overpriced for what i think are your basic needs...maybe try looking at something like the new acer a0522 (amd cpu with ati 6250 graphics) was on sale last week at bb for kinda bias on this one (i own it) but for a cheapo's really very good...research it! (once you uninstall mcafee ect crapware).....and could probably resell in a few months for less 100

    or if money is major issue...try finding a cheapo netbook on craigs that you figure you could resell in a few months for min loss...........good luck
  8. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 15, 2002
    Great points. I see now that the resale value will depend mainly on the graphics. If the next MBA gets a crappy Intel IGP, some people might still be willing to pay quite a lot for a 320M-MBA in excellent condition...

    On the other hand, a Thinkpad 11 or HP dm1z offer similar performance and battery life and cost less than half as much as an MBA. Decisions, decisions.
  9. antmo macrumors member

    Feb 20, 2008
    either way you're rolling the dice (either with the wait or with the resale...)

    i'd rather have the computer now, but that's just me : - )
  10. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 15, 2002
    True enough. Hm, maybe my interest in the Air is a sign that I should rethink my usage patterns. My main computer is a 2007 MBP, which I like, but if I'm honest, I'll have to admit that I've only ever taken it out of the house a handful of times, and it's always been kind of a chore. I don't really consider it portable. The 11"-Air, however, is a different breed. So maybe it would be a good idea to get it, sell my MBP, and get a refurbished iMac as my new main machine. Thoughts? It would be my first time in 9 years without an MBP/Powerbook, but I'm starting to feel like the iMac-line and especially the MBA have evolved enough to take the leap (well, it all depends on whether I can find a decent refurbished iMac).
  11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    I would love to be able to switch to an iMac + MBA. But, since I am a college student, I need to travel to and from school at least twice a year, and I would prefer not to leave an iMac at school over summer, so I have a 15" MBP as my workhorse instead. This way, I can actually take it on a plane when I need to travel.
  12. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 15, 2002
    Yeah, that used to be my reasoning too, but now I've graduated and moved in with my girlfriend :D
  13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    May 13, 2010
    Unless you are planning on buying new MBA with every new refresh... I recommend just buy one and enjoy it. June update is just a rumor and cnet is not reliable source.
  14. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

    Nov 3, 2009
    its a rumor from ZDnet which makes it even more of a rumor.
  15. axu539 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    congratulations! go for the MBA + iMac combo then, as it'll get you the best of both worlds.
  16. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 18, 2010
    Terra Australis
    I'd go option 1 - grab the offer while you can then sell it once you hear about the updates in the next MBA.
  17. Tyrion, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

    Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks guys, I guess I'll get the MBA now and see what Apple cool up for the refreshed iMacs (the current ones seem quite overpriced and underpowered).

    EDIT: now to decide whether to get the 11 or the 13-incher...
  18. gdeputy macrumors 6502a


    Jul 23, 2008
    New York
    I bought a MBA, sold my desktop PC and bought an iMac 27" and it's the best combo. The iMac is a true workhorse, can handle anything I throw at it, the MBA is very fast and ultra portable, great for when I'm on the move either in the apartment or literally on the move from place to place.
  19. molala macrumors 6502a

    Oct 25, 2008
    Cambridge, UK
    If the deal is that good, I would also go for it. No sense in going for a PC that would just "tide you over" and then endure a long wait.

    Enjoy your MBA!
  20. Mac Composer macrumors member

    Oct 29, 2010
    If you're thinking of selling in June (or whenever the update happens) you will take a loss. Even though Macs hold their value, if an update comes out you'll be selling yesterdays news.

    Everybody will want the latest and greatest, or those looking for a deal will buy used at the lowest price.

Share This Page