Buy now through school or wait til Black Friday?

Ralzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
My school is having a sale on Nov 19 on macs
http://itstore.ou.edu/onedaysale/

I wanted to get one of the 27'' iMacs to replace my mac mini. Should I buy it through my school or are there gonna be better deals through Amazon or Apple possibly on Black Friday? Its not easy to return anything and if they let you there is a pretty hefty restocking fee.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Those are some pretty good prices. I would probably wait though. I you live in a state that doesn't have to pay sales tax on amazon.com then they might be a better buy, especially if they have a sale for Black Friday. That's what I'm hoping for. Their price is already a better buy than the Apple Education Discount for me since I won't have to pay sales tax.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Definitely buy through your school. 27" is 350$ from there while Apple will give ~100$ off on Black Friday.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Definitely buy through your school. 27" is 350$ from there while Apple will give ~100$ off on Black Friday.
There is a decent chance that sites like MacMall and other third-party retailers will have discounts that will be equal or greater along with other promotions like free printers. In addition, you can (illegally) avoid paying tax.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
buy it.

even if you paid 10% sales tax -- $1350 + $135 = $1485

over $100 cheaper than the cheapest no tax + rebate price there is

apple's black friday deals wont even come close

Ralzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
What are the chances that Amazon has a sale on them on Black Friday considering I've noticed their stock says 4-7 weeks?

ehduque7

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Those are some really good education discounts. I'd jump on the school discount. I really can't see it being that much cheaper on Black Friday.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I put my vote in for buying it on the school discount. I've been oogling the 27-inchers and I can only get $100 off as a K-12 teacher. GO FOR IT! :D

Bbusyb

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
If the School discount is going to be available to you later, It might be worth waiting till Black Friday, Just in case to see if a better deal is available. After all its only a matter of a few days.

If there is one, yo can get it. If not You can always buy through your educational discount.

I Do believe however that Applecare is usually pretty discounted with Edu Pricing so you might want to tally that cost as well when making your decision.

Corrupt.Tears

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
Buy it from the school. Don't open it. If there is no other sale, open it and enjoy! If you find another sale. Buy it from that sale and return the one from the school. It is that simple. Unless it is final sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.