buy now with leopard or wait until you get lion installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dman90, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Dman90 macrumors newbie

Hi,

should i buy a macbook pro now with leopard installed and then update to lion or should i wait a coule of weeks and buy a macbook with lion already installed?

Thanks,

Dman.

2. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

You cannot upgrade from Leopard to Lion...If you mean Snow Leopard, I would buy it now...you get Lion as a free upgrade..but I would install the free lion upgrade on a different partition so that Snow Leopard is your primary OS until Lion becomes more stable :)

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it's up to you, i mean if you can wait then you could and get a computer with lion on it, but if you want it now then you could have it now and also have the ability to use snow leopard and upgrade to lion only if you would like to.

4. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

the upgrade to lion will be free

5. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

im in the same position and im going to wait till lion is pre-installed so i can start fresh.

6. Shohan macrumors newbie

How do we upgrade to Lion if we just bought a MBP? I can't find any specifics on it. Is iTunes going to check your purchase date or something and just say, "Hey! You bought this in the window. It's free!!!"

?

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i realize that, i said nothing about its price.

my point is he can get a mbp now with a leopard install disc and upgrade to lion only if he wants to. just because lion is going to be the latest os doesn't mean he will prefer it.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Well, I would guess that to qualify for the free upgrade, you'd have to register your new Mac with the same AppleID that you'd use for the Mac App Store. That would be the easiest way.

Some other possibilities would be that you could call Apple with some way to prove your purchase date and they'd give you a download code to use on the MAS.

Whatever the method, I'm sure that Apple has it completely figured out ... and hundreds of MacRumors members will still find a way to complain out it ;)

And to the OP, unless there was a hardware update imminent, I'd buy now with SL installed. You'd get Lion for free and there's a chance that you'd be able to update all of your other SL Macs with the same copy of Lion (not quite sure if there would be different versions of Lion on the MAS - one regular $30 version and one Up-To-Date free version).

9. MJNBGA macrumors regular

Seriously? I got my MacBook Pro on June 21, does that mean that I get a free upgrade too? :rolleyes:

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Here is the site - more information to come later...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

The basic story is that if you buy a new Mac on or after June 6, you qualify for a free upgrade to Lion under this program.