Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
So I must admit I already got a 13 inch MBA with the i7. However now im thinking about canceling the order..

Main reason is will it be powerful enough?(web surfing, some WoW, Photo editing, chat,vmware fustion)
And can/should I wait for a MBP refresh next year?

If I was to get this now would it sell well when a MBP refresh is ready?

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
So I must admit I already got a 13 inch MBA with the i7. However now im thinking about canceling the order..

Main reason is will it be powerful enough?(web surfing, some WoW, Photo editing, chat,vmware fustion)
And can/should I wait for a MBP refresh next year?

If I was to get this now would it sell well when a MBP refresh is ready?

Yeah man... this computer will rock for all that. You definitely don't need more than an Air for that... in fact, you could probably go without the i7 upgrade if you wanted to.

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Yeah man... this computer will rock for all that. You definitely don't need more than an Air for that... in fact, you could probably go without the i7 upgrade if you wanted to.

How bad is the non HD camera? and can I run a windows/redhat os in the background without issues? Mostly just a windows one but I sometimes use redhat from time to time.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
How bad is the non HD camera? and can I run a windows/redhat os in the background without issues? Mostly just a windows one but I sometimes use redhat from time to time.

redhat is lower resources than Win 7, so you should be fine. It's a shame they didn't up the RAM available in the MBA, but if 4gb is okay with you, then you'll be fine. As for the camera, I so rarely use mine that it doesn't make a difference to me, but my iPad 2 FaceTime camera is good enough for me, so I guess I'm not the right person to judge on that one :D

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
redhat is lower resources than Win 7, so you should be fine. It's a shame they didn't up the RAM available in the MBA, but if 4gb is okay with you, then you'll be fine. As for the camera, I so rarely use mine that it doesn't make a difference to me, but my iPad 2 FaceTime camera is good enough for me, so I guess I'm not the right person to judge on that one :D

yeah the 4GB is a tad low for me. Was going to give 1GB to redhat and 2GB to windows with 2GB for mac. Not sure how well that will run all together..

does the ipad 2 compare to the new MBA?

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
yeah the 4GB is a tad low for me. Was going to give 1GB to redhat and 2GB to windows with 2GB for mac. Not sure how well that will run all together..

does the ipad 2 compare to the new MBA?

They're like Apples and Oranges (no pun intended). The iPad is a great consuming device, but in my experience, a poor creation device. The MBA is a full fledged OS X device what shines for everything. I'd go MBA in a heartbeat, even if I didn't have an iPad.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I have the same dilemma as i would have liked a 8gb ram upgrade because the CPU And SSD is a fast combo, especially for the work i do. MBP adds more bulk and still dual core (no quad) in 13" + adding an SSD which is essential really bumps the price up. I don't get why people still buy HDD, they are so slow in comparison. A waste of a wonderful MBP.

I run XP which i know i can run on 500Mb Ram virtual but win7 needs 1gb min.

I think Lion needs 4gb to itself for a perfect experience even though it's fine on 2gb, it just means it pages out more.

Shame, but i think i will stick with the order and settle with 4gb.

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
I have the same dilemma as i would have like a 8gb ram upgrade because the CPU And SSD is fast!

I run XP which i know i can run on 500Mb Ram virtual but win7 needs 1gb min.

I think Lion needs 4gb to itself for a perfect experience even though it's fine on 2gb, it just means it pages out more.

Shame, but i think i will stick with the order and settle with 4gb.

Yeah 8GB and an HD camera would make this perfect. But in a year I might just sell it for a MBP as I "think" they are changing the cases for them next refresh which might make the heat ok for me. :)

Going to keep my order too. Has anyone said that you can have more memory put in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.