Buy now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sasha.danielle, Oct 27, 2016.

1. sasha.danielle macrumors regular

So given how much Apple increased the price of the MacBook Pros (preposterous), does anyone feel they're going to do the same with the next iMac model? I'm wondering if I should just get a refurb of the 2015 model. I thought I might wait until the new one comes out but if Apple is just going to push the new machine out of my range, I might just buy now. What do you think?

My needs aren't heavy — I'm a writer and editor; I watch movies on it, that kind of thing. I was going to get a mid-range 27" with SSD.

2. tyche macrumors 6502

I use a 2010 iMac. That's going on 7 years and it works perfectly fine. We expect computer companies to make yearly updates but Apple doesn't do this anymore. But it doesn't make last years model garbage. We'd all like a price reduction but again, Apple is not going to do that we're actually see the opposite. The mac mini should be $99 by now...

Looking at a 2015 model what will you miss out on in 12 months.
    - USB-C. Likely more hassle than it's worth for another 2-3 years and then you're in the boat I am with usb 2 vs usb 3. Not really a crisis.
    - TB 3. Useful for some things and ability to support multiple monitors
    - Slightly faster CPU in benchmarks.
    - Maybe 2x SSD performance vs already very fast SSD

I paid $2k for my iMac and now a 2015 model with all the "required" apple upgrades is nearly $4k. I expect the 2016 model to be even more. I think come Jan if there is no real leaks and I see a refurb with the right specs for sale, I would have no qualms buying it and holding on for another 5+ years.

3. richinaus macrumors 6502a

and a decent GPU upgrade [which I am bothered about]

4. 59Burst macrumors member

59Burst

That's exactly what I'm going to do. The iMac 27" 5K 3.3 ghz CPU mid-range model with a 512gb SSD. Beautiful AIO should last years.

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Totally agree. This is almost enough for me to build a alternate.

6. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

My guess: no, the price won't change much. And the new iMac with Kaby Lake and better graphics (especially for 4K) will come out in spring of 2017. But that is pure conjecture. You'd be really happy with the current iMac and for what you do, likely won't notice a change with whatever they go to.

7. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Looking at the price of the refurb iMacs on the UK store that were released in October 2015, and looking at the discounts offered, it appears that the discounts are now based on the new inflated prices of the brand new models, which came into force after today's Apple keynote. This means that a refurbished model bought this evening costs more than a brand new machine of the same configuration would have cost this morning. The inflated prices brought in this afternoon could take away some of the sting of the hiked prices of new IMacs if they are introduced early next year or Apple may just add another load of cash on top of the new high prices. John Lewis still has the current 2015 iMacs at the non-inflated prices but only three models.

8. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

These are not inflated prices. You have a deflated currency. Which sucks. Look on eBay or Gumtree for something from a very reputable seller.

9. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

No, my point is that Apple has increased the price of machines that are already in warehouses on UK soil and which were advertised at lower prices on the refurb store, just before the keynote. Same machines. Than higher prices. Doesn't make sense. Understand if it is for a built to order machine which has to come in from outside the UK

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Anyone have any deals on a 27" iMac with a 395x?

11. weckart macrumors 68040

Unless you want one of the new models buy now and from Amazon. The iMac I bought for my sister is £899 from Amazon and £1249 from Apple. Slightly smaller savings on the 2015 notebooks. Those prices won't last very long.

12. ndolebay, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

ndolebay macrumors member

ndolebay

Simply Apple don't want their profit sink, by us dollar.

I think they wouldn't forget to list this in their terms of purchasing.

They are "smart" guys :)

13. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Because of the exchange rate change. I just ordered a refurb'd 27" iMac and the price was the same after the keynote event. I live in the US. The price increase has happened, due to the exchange rate change, with other manufacturers in other industries as well.

I ended saving close to $500 off the same iMac if I had ordered it new with the same options.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 27" iMacs are a great computer, and I would say its fine to buy one of those, however I can't say the same for the 21" iMac with the broadwell processor and an iGPU (not to mention default config includes only a 5400 rpm drive)

15. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what the refurb prices were before (here in Canada), but I don't think the price of a new iMac in Canada changed since the keynote.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    So, for me, the only real things I would be missing are USB-C and perhaps the GPU (would I, given my use-case, benefit from a GPU?). The USB-C is kind of a want for me. I already have a rMB. That said, I don't necessarily think that it will be worth the inevitable price jump.

16. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

Solution: I'm going to wait for leaks of the new iMac. If I'm not seeing indications of substantial updates, I'm going to go with a 2015.

17. Firebrand macrumors regular

18. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

Does Apple itself have Black Friday sales? Because I'm not sure I'm interested in the standard models....

19. Firebrand macrumors regular

20. Lankyman macrumors 68000

You could all do something really daring and revolutionary and not buy at all. Sometimes if customers vote with their feet companies have to take notice, even companies as large as Apple.

21. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

This is actually a great idea

For anyone who can wait until November you will almost undoubtedly save from waiting until Black Friday.

22. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

My plan is to order a 2015 model on the eve of the next keynote then cancel the order if the new iMacs offer substantial value for money and buy one of those. Black Friday is usually a £50 off, if you're lucky.

23. bbnck macrumors 6502

All I can say is I'm glad I bought my iMac last month. I wouldn't be happy to be spending an extra £250 just for waiting until after the keynote last week. As others have said, Apple might not be updating their Macs as often as they did before and perhaps this is a new trend, but their current iMacs still offer great performance and will last for many years to come.

24. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

Only way that can come back to get ya will be if there is a price decrease of the model you already ordered after the keynote, and you preferred that model over the new one.

25. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Ah! Never thought of that...