Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I have been toying with the idea of getting an IPhone. The reason I haven't is because I have a company provided cell phone and I haven't paid for phone service in years.

I am very tempted as I have an IMac and a .Mac account. It seems like an IPhone would be a good marriage with my home mac, more-so than if I had a PC.

I'm just not sure if I should go from no phone bill, to a phone bill....although I do realize it's much more than just a phone. Also, their is talk about a second generation Iphone coming out in the coming months. Any guesses on when the second generation is coming? I read on one of the sites that this isn't a good time to buy due to an impending hardware refresh.

Thoughts...

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
2nd gen wont come out till mid 2008 i reckon. But its always a possibility that Apple will bring one out at anytime. Maybe you ought to wait till after Macworld, just in case. iPhone has absolutely no .mac features, though it does sync well with Macs.
If your worried about paying for a phone bill, get an iPod touch, its an iPhone but without a phonebill!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Are you in the US?

If so you sound like a person that does not use thousands of minutes like me so about $70.

One thing to keep in mind is you may decide now is the time to ditch you landline which would save you $50+ per month. Depends on your situation.

The current phone now is just amazing, once 3rd party ships app is will be many more times amazing.

and the semi-gps we get in 1.1.3 is a freebie if you where waiting for a 2nd gen iphone that had GPS.

Edit: One of the main reasons why I wanted this is that I wanted a phone that just SYNCED, after a sony and a blackberry I was tired of the mac syncing sucking. The iphone for me sync perfectly!

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Well if you plan on hacking it, buy it now, because for all we know, the upcoming firmware update, 1.1.3, is unhackable and unlockable. Or you could just wait for v2, but that might be unlockable too...

Crager724

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
God's Country
How interesting, I have contemplated buying an iPhone myself. I have been with Sprint for years and have not wanted to switch carriers because I call so many people on Sprint and I get the free mobile to mobile calls. I finally found a phone from Sprint I wanted and went to a Sprint store to buy it and they were sold out. So I went to another store that sold it and they had an even better price listed, but when I got there I got a run around and I was going to have to pay way more than the advertised price. So after all this, my wife actually says to me, "why don't you just switch carriers and get the phone you really want. My contract with Sprint will be up in just over a year and I will switch to AT&T" I was shocked she said that, she knows I want the iPhone, but I could never justify getting one. Now that a 3G iPhone should be coming out next year, I'm thinking I will wait a little longer and get "the phone I really want".

I know I didn't add much to this discussion, just my own two cents, but it felt good to share that with you all.:)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
faster web surfing, if you are in a 3g area and if the area is good and sometimes even then not that much faster.

if you are near a wifi, the iphone will use the wifi which is much faster then 3g.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
faster web surfing, if you are in a 3g area and if the area is good and sometimes even then not that much faster.

if you are near a wifi, the iphone will use the wifi which is much faster then 3g.

All true however I just read that the Edge network is going to be receiving a major upgrade to 1000kbps. If that happens the difference between 3G and Edge will be minimal.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Amen to "just wanting a phone that syncs with my mac". I've been a palm customer for years but the klugy sync integration and lack of support in leopard have turned me off. It just isn't worth my time to repair all the sync issues that come up. I ditched my treo 2 weeks ago and so far so good.

Btw: the sales guy at the apple store mentioned the edge upgrade to me so perhaps this rumor is true.

Puck.

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
All true however I just read that the Edge network is going to be receiving a major upgrade to 1000kbps. If that happens the difference between 3G and Edge will be minimal.

Highly doubtful that there's any truth in this. If there is an upgrade I haven't read anywhere that EDGE is even capable of making it to 1000k given its specs.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
I would wait for a version 2. I also have the feeling version 2 will be marketed in the correct fashion. It being avilable on most networks for contract at around £199 and a higher priced sim free model at around £399.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I would wait for a version 2. I also have the feeling version 2 will be marketed in the correct fashion. It being avilable on most networks for contract at around £199 and a higher priced sim free model at around £399.

Never expect Apple to market anything in a typical fashion.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Btw: the sales guy at the apple store mentioned the edge upgrade to me so perhaps this rumor is true.

I think this is more desirable than a 3G phone based simply on the greater coverage of Edge. If the speed were increased to 1000 it would be an awesome combination of coverage and performance.

Mad Max24

macrumors member
I have been toying with the idea of getting an IPhone. The reason I haven't is because I have a company provided cell phone and I haven't paid for phone service in years.

I am very tempted as I have an IMac and a .Mac account. It seems like an IPhone would be a good marriage with my home mac, more-so than if I had a PC.

I'm just not sure if I should go from no phone bill, to a phone bill....although I do realize it's much more than just a phone. Also, their is talk about a second generation Iphone coming out in the coming months. Any guesses on when the second generation is coming? I read on one of the sites that this isn't a good time to buy due to an impending hardwopare refresh.

Thoughts...

The 3G iPhone probaby won't be out in the U.S. until Sept/Oct. Apple hasn't even submitted the paper work to the FCC yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.