Buy Now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wittingslow, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. wittingslow macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #1
    I've been waiting for the past three to four months to purchase an iMac, saving my dollars up. And as I aproached the full amount, I started hearing of an iMac update. Which I am told is soon. My dilemma is, that right now, I can but the 24" iMac 2.4G Model with 10% off pretty much giving me the Apple Care for free. So I am wondering anyones opinion on whether it would be a wise choice to purchase now, or wait and presumably have to pay for AppleCare on top.
    I am getting one for Video Production, and upgrading to 4Gb Memory from OWC, as you all have enlightened me about.
     
  2. TSE macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    #2
    I would not buy it now. An iMac update is around the corner. The new iMacs will bring out a bunch of new technology and will be a better bang for your buck.
     
  3. TallManNY macrumors 68040

    TallManNY

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    #3
    I'm pretty sure an iMac update is coming soon. Consider that they updated the Macbook and that was less in need of an update than the iMac. It is the switch to Penrye. However, I don't know if that is that big an upgrade.

    Anyway, I'd at least wait until next Tuesday. But you have been waiting for quite some time. Eventually you have to make a move.
     
  4. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2008
    #4
    If you can only get the 10% discount with the current 2.4 iMac, buy it. If apple updates the iMac to penryn in the next few weeks (although a full month would be more likely), it'll be marginal system improvements.
     
  5. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    Central Ohio - USA
    #5
    My advice is to buy it now and then forget you ever found this website! I bought mine a few days ago and now I'm all freaked out about an update. Apple updates their products rapidly so you could be in perpetual wait mode unless you move and get one.

    I say get it, enjoy it and quit reading posts about potential updates. It will drive you batty! ;)
     
  6. wittingslow thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #6
    Cheers, well I'm going to hold off till Tuesday, when the 'update' is supposed to happen, if nothing happens I'll be purchasing the current model. It's still a great machine and one that will do me fine. I just want to get out of this 'Windowed' environment :p
    Hopefully that if the update occurs that there wont be a long wait window to get one, as the Macbook Air's have been.
    From what I've read it doesnt sound like it would be a huge advancing upgrade, probably wont do me any great deal of benefit, but its nice to have the latest tech in a machine, not one that is tech from 200+ days ago.
     

Share This Page