Buy Objective-C book now?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ELBdelorean, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ELBdelorean, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

ELBdelorean macrumors member

After researching around, I've pretty much noticed that Programming in Objective-C by Stephen Kochan seems to be consistent in book recommendations to learn Obj-C. I am wondering whether or not to buy this book now. Amazon says that the third edition will be available in April of 2011. Will there really be that much of a difference in the new edition? Thanks in advance.

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Thats pretty weird, I have a second edition, I'd doubt there would be many changes.

3. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

Looks like the second edition is 624 pages versus 704 on the third.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I just can't imagine what he would be including now that wasn't available at the time.

Second edition brought about dot syntax @selector's but nothing really new in the language has developed since then. Hell, Second edition even has a section on iPhone (making a simple iphone app).

EDIT: I could sell you mine for $20 if you're interested.

5. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note the book was originally intended for release in February and has been pushed back, it may yet get pushed back some more as the author mentioned on his site that he just completed a coast-to-coast relocation.

Don't count on the April release date.

B

7. JustSomeDude macrumors regular

Since it is up to date on the language, maybe it's just fixes for erratas and some reworked examples. There is a chapter on writing code for the iphone that may get updated. The current version should serve you well. I would think anything that would get updated you could pick up from apple documentation pretty easily after working through this book.

I personally like the book at the current edition.

8. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

I think the third edition will have a solid release date when Xcode 4 comes out, so I'll probably just get this edition. Thanks guys :)

9. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Why don't you email the author and ask him what's new in the 3rd edition? I wrote Aaron Hillegass of Big Nerd Ranch once and he wrote right back.

Oh, and then let us know what he says. :)

10. foidulus macrumors 6502a

XCode 4

The big difference will almost certainly be that he will rework all the examples using XCode 4(which unifies Interface Builder with the code) and probably the usual upgrades and whatnot.

Though the fact that he pushed the publication back to April probably tells you something about the official release of XCode 4. Technically everyone that downloaded the beta version of XCode 4 is under an NDA not to talk about it, which pretty much would preclude publishing a book on it before the official version is released.

If you are just absolutely dying to jump into iPhone/mac coding then buy it now, otherwise wait. 99% of what its the current version will be applicable to the future version.

11. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Xcode 4 makes sense, but the current book doesn't focus THAT much on Xcode. But I can certainly see it needing some revisions in that regard.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

By the way, the author is a member here: skochan.

13. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

According to Kochan's comment, the new edition was mostly spurred by the additions of blocks(?) to the Objective-C language. His post explains that changes required due Xcode changes are covered in his forum.

14. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I purchased the book. It should be getting here today.

15. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

The Future is Now

Start coding. Build something beautiful. Make us proud.

16. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

The reason I wanted this book is because I have the Big Nerd Ranch Guide to iPhone programming and it recommends this book if you do not know Objective-C/C.

17. larswik macrumors 68000

18. skochan macrumors regular

Okay, so the third edition was in fact partly delayed because of XCode 4's release. The other delay was caused by me!

The book will be out next month (end of June is the target). I just reviewed the final pages, so the release date this time is for real!

Just as an FYI, here are the main changes made to the third edition:

1. Slight reorganization of some chapters
    2. Incorporation of feedback from forum members. For example, a more detailed description of some of the examples.
    3. An introduction to blocks with examples
    4. Replacement of deprecated methods with newer methods
    5. Updated diagrams and steps for using XCode 4.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Glad to hear it! I have the second edition as an eBook from BN and my paper copy of the third has been on pre-order from Amazon for months now.

B

20. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Thanks for the info and a great book.
    I bought the 2nd Ed. e-book a couple of months ago to use till your 3rd was available. Well worth the money. Can't wait for the 3rd. Sounds like some good additions.
    Again, thanks.