Buy Office 2008 now for 100$ or wait for 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Otaillon, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Otaillon macrumors 6502

Otaillon

Hi everybody!

Just got a mail from M$ for an offer on office 2008 for 100$ (the home & student edition). I got 3 licences with it and would split it with my brother's girlfriend.

But I've read that there is no update when a new version is coming (like for 2004 to 2008), that you have to buy the whole thing again. Knowing that the 2011 version is coming on next holiday, should I take the 2008 or wait for the 2011 and pay full price?

Thanks!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

As I understand it, and I just read the agreement provided in another thread, unless you and your brother's girlfriend live in the same house or apartment, that would not comply with the licensing agreement. Plus, who will keep the disc? What if the other person has a problem? Maybe that's another good reason not to violate the LA. As far as your other question, I don't know.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

$100 for the home edition is the regular price -- not direct from M$, but other stores regularly sell it at this price.

Unless you are in dire need I would wait a couple months. M$ will offer it's "Technology Guarantee" which will let you buy a copy of Office (you should be able to find it discounted at $100 or thereabout) and then get a copy of Office 2011 for free when its released (probably via d/l as that is how they are doing the 2010 offer on the Win side).

Edit: I see you are from Canada, so not sure how M$ deals w/ new updates there. My experience is only in the US. You might want to Google "Technology Guarantee Canada" or something to see if they offer it there.

4. Flyinb macrumors member

Go Google Office for MAC 2011 Beta and download

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would just use the free openoffice.org until 2011 is released. Who knows maybe after using Openoffice you will see that it fits all your Office needs. It does so for me.

Note: If you use Openoffice you should change the default save as for documents, spreadsheets and presentations to MS Office format. You can find this option in Preferences > Load/Save > General under Document and Always save as.

6. jw2k macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any idea when Office 2011 for Mac will be released? I've just ordered a MBP and I'll want to get Office installed sooner rather than later, but don't want to fork out for Office 2008 if Office 2011 is going to be released in the next couple of months...

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

8. VintageMac macrumors regular

Any updates on Office 2011 shipping date? I plan to order a 13" MacBook Pro for my daughter tomorrow and will need some software to go with it. How long in advance can I buy Office 2008 and then get the free upgrade?

Also, will 2008 run on my G4 eMac, OS10.5? Office 2011?

Vintage

9. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

I would say wait for 2011 as it will include increased functionality, outlook etc. If you need a office software while waiting then download a free office suite. I don't use office 08 anymore rather 07 through boot camp or 010 on an i3 notebook. When 11 is released I will get that and dump 08.

10. kuaiyouming, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  11. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

If you use MS Office at work (on a Mac or PC) check to see if your company has a "Home Use" agreement in place with Microsoft. Mine does, and it allows each employee to purchase (download or DVD shipped) one copy of MS Office for next to nothing. I bought my full copy of MS Office for Mac 2007 for $11.50 direct from Microsoft through the program. Worth checking into....