Buy old 24 inch cinema display or wait for 27 inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mickthimes, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Mickthimes macrumors newbie

Hello.

I currently only own a macbook pro 15 inch i7, and i love to use it!

However, when its come to gaming, i raid 2-3 days a week in WoW- and sometimes i find the screen size abit to small, so im in the market for a new screen 24 to 27 inch big.

I have a guy who is selling a brand new cinema display 24 inch + keyboard and mouse for what is like 800 dollars - a quite nice price!

However - is it worth buying the incoming 27 inch display from apple? That will be abit pricey since i also need the keyboard and mouse.

Another option would be a monitor from another brand, however i love the concept of the cinema with magsafe and design - one of the reasons i love mac.

Tell me what you think , and come with some sugggestions.

Thank you.

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

The resolution bump from the 24" to the 27" is pretty substantial especially for a laptop. It might have a pretty big performance hit on your WoW... you'll likely have to turn down a few graphics options to get that 3" of size. Worth thinking about!

3. Mickthimes thread starter macrumors newbie

True, i currently run wow in the same resolution as the 24 inch have as its max.

And with settings set to ultra i sometimes have fps drops when combats get intense. So yes the 27 inch resolution might kill that and i have to lower graphic?

I also think that for the 27 inch price i could almost get an 21.5 inch imac for a little extra...

I might go with the 24 then, its also plenty big for wow.

4. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

That's a good choice, I think it's a $200 difference.

5. Mickthimes thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe yeah.

For the price of the 27 inch + mouse + keyboard i could almost get a complete machine - However the imac is only 21.5 inches.

Its quite hard to decide

I could also get a quite powerfull windowns desktop setup :S

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

What about replacing the MBP with a 27" iMac plus an iPad/(refurb.) MacBook?

7. Mickthimes thread starter macrumors newbie

I had this MBP for 2 months, would be kinda silly to sell since i will loose money, and i really like it.

So many ways to do this, and i will need a laptop for school.

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Umm. You can get it for $799 direct from apple. How do you know this other is brand new? Or if you wait for a refurb it's $599, and there will probably be a lot when they start selling the 27".

9. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I saw a 24" for $400 today with a scratch on the screen. I was very tempted and still am but I just reordered an iphone 4 but that could take a month.

10. Mickthimes thread starter macrumors newbie

The person selling it tell me its new, because he won a mac mini set with screen in some auction.

However there is not refurb here in Denmark as i know?

Might just wait and think more about it...

11. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Get the serial number and determine it's age to see if his story matches the age of the screen.

12. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Let me guess. To get the screen, all you have to do is wire the money to an account in Nigeria?

13. Mickthimes thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the seller is from same country as me and i talked phone with him, however im considering to use a middleman company to be secure.

14. Mickthimes thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks for your inputs.

I decided to buy an 24inch led samsung bx2450- its great!

apple wireless mouse +keyboard.

I wanted to buy it new since i wouldnt want anything with someones elsename on and the cinema display might be abit to low in response time compared to its price.