Buy old MS Office for Mac 2008 or wait for 2010?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonsa, Dec 10, 2009.

1. jonsa macrumors newbie

I know this is a boring issue, but I need to do some minor work on my iMac at home and thus need the MS Office suite. Should I get the old 2008 version or wait for the new 2010? Or are there any other FREE sources that I could use meanwhile?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It might be a while before office 2010 is released so if you need to do work now I suggest you get a cheap student version of 2008. Or you can us openoffice which is a free solution and seems to be very popular around these forums.

3. ski2moro macrumors 6502

IIRC, MS Office allows you to install it on multiple (3 ?) machines at a time. If you know someone who owns 2008, maybe you can use one of their installs until 2010 comes out.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not use Open Office and not spend any $$. You can either use Open Office for now while you wait for the new version or temporarirly until office 2010 hits the streets.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Technically, I think that's 3 computers in the same household. The only physical separation acceptable is a student away at school, but still with the same permanent address. Will it work to get it from a friend? Yeah, if that friend hasn't used all the license codes. But, it's not what that friend agreed to, whether he/she knows it or not, when "I accept" was clicked.

6. jonsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys. I installed the OpenOffice and will get by with that until we get more info about the Office 2010 for Mac.