Buy online or in store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bcwright03, Jul 2, 2012.

1. bcwright03 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to purchase my MacBook Air now that I know what model I want. This is the 8 Gb ram, 256 Gb ssd with the i5. As a digression actually, I'm still not sure if I should go with the i5 or the i7. I've heard the benefits of processing don't outweigh the loss of battery and upped heat and fan noise.

Back on topic now: if I go to the apple store right now, will they have that configuration (i5) so that I can start using it today, or will I have to do a BTO shipment online? Admittedly I do not 'need' to have it as soon as possible, I just really want to get my hands on it as soon as possible. For goodness sake I've been without a laptop for three years!

Also if you have an suggestions on the i5 or i7 issue, please chime in. If I should get the i7, is that in the stores as well?

2. jameswdmb macrumors member

i5 vs i7 - completely depends on what you need it for....most people can do everything they need and then some on an i5.

8GB RAM - chances are pretty good your local store does NOT have it in stock, but it couldnt hurt to call and ask....it is my understanding that some stores have the Maxed out versions, but not different variations.

3. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Could someone explain the aversion some people have to pIcking up the phone and calling their local store to see what they have in stock versus asking a pointless question here, pointless unless the poster here shops at the same store?

Get the I7, 8 gigs and at least 128 gig SSD.

4. bcwright03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey man, OP here, I agree that people seem to have lost some common sense and problem solving skills these days. I can see why you may have assumed I too seem like that, but I actually did call the store before posting here. Unfortunately their phones are down or it is really busy at the store I would go to. Instead of staying on hold for half an hour, I posted on here to see if it was even worth my time. Luckily it was successful, as stores only have maxed out versions, not specific configurations (which is what I need). I am personally content with my decision to post on the forum. I used my foresight which is granted with a human brain, to solve my problem efficiently.

5. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Kudos on calling the store. If all they have are maxed out models the the issue becomes how much is instant gratification worth? I have the MBA11, I7, 8 gigs memory and 256 gig SSD. My only decision point was the SSD. I was coming from a 2010 MBA11, 1.4, 4 gig memory (max), 128 gig SSD and I was running out of space. The up charge for the 512 SSD was too much for me. :)

6. chazmink macrumors member

It seems that the NYC stores have a wide variety of combinations, not just base and ultimate. From what I can tell, based on phone calls and reading a ton of threads, 8 gb versions are typically not stocked at the stores outside of New York City.

7. new-to-mac macrumors regular

If your config is on stock in store buy in store.