Buy online or instore- what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thethinkingman, May 13, 2010.

1. thethinkingman macrumors newbie

First post, so go easy on me guys - just incase this has been answered to death before.

Anyway, I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro in the first week of June. What I need to know are there any benefits/differences from buying from either a UK retail apple store or their website - which is best and why?

I'll probably be paying by debit or credit card and I am a university student.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Online you can configure it but it takes longer time to get it (shipping, delivery). BTW is university high-education? If so, you have to be on your uni's network or call to get HE discount, instore the ID is enough. I'd get it from in-store, faster and easier

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Buy in-store. Reason being is, should there be any problems or exchanges/returns, you can easily go right back and do it. On the other hand, buying online means doing all that by shipping, etc. Just a hassle.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want any sort of customization namely 15" i5 processor with anti glare, you'll need to order online.

5. thethinkingman thread starter macrumors newbie

No Changes

No I won't be making any configuration changes, just buying the 500gb 15" Macbook pro i5.

I'm assuming my rights are the same either way?

Is the returns system the same, easier for online/instore? (I ask just incase there are any problems)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you buy from Apple Store, then it is. Some resellers are bitchy about returns but with Apple Store you should have no issues

7. peaklocation macrumors newbie

I'm really interested in this thread, as I'm about to take the plunge and 15" mbp here in the UK. I'd like the 15" i5 mbp with the high res anti glare display (okay, I'd really like the i7, but I can't justify the extra cash - £300). I cannot wait; my trusty three year old "lunchbox" (13" MacBook c2d) has been an amazing machine, but it's time to move up the ladder!

Being as it's a "custom" spec, I believe I'm right in saying I must buy it online.

A few questions...

1) How long until they deliver?
    2) Do they say exactly when it'll be delivered - with a slot and if it's not convenient can I move the slot to another day?
    3) What happens if it arrives, bent / broken / mangled whatever - can I take it back to an Apple Store?
    4) What about the 14 day money back thing, still valid - again, back to store ok?
    5) should I just forget 1,2,3,4; risk a divorce and buy the i7 in the regent street apple store, worth the extra?!

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Usually from couple days to a week in Europe after it has shipped
    2. You'll get an estimated delivery date but that may change during the process
    3. Yes, but it'll be dealt as warranty case, not return/replacement, meaning that they'll fix it but not give you a new one
    4. You have to ship it back, Apple Stores won't cover you, they'll just fix it

9. thethinkingman thread starter macrumors newbie

When does the 'Back to School' offer start in the UK?

When does the 'Back to School' offer start in the UK?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Same time as the US promo

11. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    I'm in the same boat as you except i'm going to buy mine when the back to school promo starts.

I was in a apple store (Bristol Cabot Circus) last week getting my shuffle fixed :D. So I asked a guy if I could buy a 15" macbook pro anti-glare screen in-store and he said that if a rang the store at least a week before hand, they would order the custom macbook pro into the store for you. Sounds simple to me. Hope this helps.

12. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Just to confirm, you can only return/replace your MBP if you buy in store rather than threw the online Apple Store? Also, if you're part of the university staff, do you still just have to show them a ID to prove you work in Higher Education?

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Wait for 1 more month, and you will get free ipod touch.