Buy or No Buy: Macessity LowKey Stand

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LouTreize, Jan 31, 2008.

1. LouTreize macrumors regular

Macessity

[​IMG]

So, buy or no buy? Tell me what you guys think.

I think it's cool. Having USB ports in the front is a pretty good idea but it'll only be good for plug n play devices, for anything else, the wires would get in the way. The idea of storing the keyboard is awesome, especially for those without a desk keyboard slider (such as myself), which then makes space for other things too (ie: notebooks, books etc.). Then again, i usually mount the keyboard on the foot of the iMac, so is $60 worth it? *shrugs*

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I like the design but would like to see it in person. I wouldn't buy it for $60 though.

3. mslide macrumors 6502a

I don't see a need for it. You can already store the keyboard by just putting it on the actual iMac stand, while taking up less room. I'd also rather have my USB ports hidden somewhere else. I'm never swapping USB peripherals enough to warrant having the ports exposed like that. Perhaps a usb hub mounted to the back of my desk, or underneath it. And for ones I am swapping in and out, like my iPod, there already are USB ports on the mac's keyboard.

4. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I don't like the fact that there are USB ports in the front... I hate cords and cables anyway, why would i want them in front of the computer? Alas, if only they were in the back.

5. LouTreize thread starter macrumors regular

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I was saying the same thing in the other thread. I actually sent them some emails yesterday to see about using it backward so that the tall side would be on the left and the ports would be on the back left. The hub is only at most 2 inches deep. The other thread shows pictures of the bottom as it is almost the same as the Mac Mini version. So in theory you could turn it around, curve the power cord and usb cable out by the ports and plug what you need to into it. In my case I would plug in an iPod dock cable and a digital camera as well as a drive. Then I could just pull the end of the camera cable to the front along with the dock and not see anything else. I even thought that I could get the wireless KB and put that under there and since there would be more height clearance on the left (since it is switched around) and since the wireless KB is not as wide, I could also fit a mouse under the left side.

However - when I contacted Macessity.com they told me that there is a peg about 5 inches deep to keep you from pushing the keyboard too far in. When turned around, depending on how thick the peg is, since it is 9 inches deep, you would get just under 4 inches of space for the keyboard. The standard keyboard is 4.5" deep, so about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of the keyboard would stick out, which might make it easier to grab anyway. It would not be the same with the wireless version, since someone confirmed in another thread that the wireless is 5.25" deep. It is only 11" wide compared to the 17" for the wired, so you could keep a mouse and some cables tucked under the tall side. But more would stick out. Also I don't know if the wireless KB is any taller and if it would fit under.

7. MattyP30 macrumors member

i use the belkin mac mini hub to increase the amount of ports I have! Looks pretty goof -doesn't match the size of the stand perfectly but I don't mind it!!

[​IMG]

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I wrote them yesterday and they said the wireless keyboard would fit under it fine.

If it's just a peg it can be easily ground off... dremel anyone?
    :D

9. jova macrumors newbie

new i mac?

Hi,

Do you know if apple release a new iMac in February or in near future before summer?

Because i'm stuck, i want to buy one but i don't know if it is worthing to wait.

Thanx

10. bamaworks macrumors 6502

That is so ridiculously random, but if you must know, go to the "Buyer's Guide" tab on the top of the page...

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Good question, but, does it also give support in the middle b/c of how wide it is. And then you don't have anything stopping the keyboard. It might be ok with it considering the less than 1" it sticks out makes it easier to grab.

The next iMac update will probably be April May or June with just a Penryn processor bump. The high end may stay at 2.8 not sure. And any change in performance will be negligible. There are times to wait for updates and times not to. I don't see this as one of those times to wait. I don't think it will be worth it.

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

The question is:

Is the peg long enough to be a support, or is it simply a nub to keep you from pushing the keyboard back too far?

13. jova macrumors newbie

14. rediffusion macrumors regular

rediffusion

So, is anybody using one of these back to front? If so, could you post some pics? I'm tempted to buy one but would prefer the ports at the back.

thanks
    R ;)

15. rfanch3r macrumors newbie

I bought one and I am actually looking forward to having them in the front as opposed to the back, its exactly what the other poster said, for plug and play devices I know doesnt need to be in there for long. Those that do remain in the back.

For instance my usb headset/mic, I dont want the cords lying around on the desk so I have to pull it out of the back which is a pain. Specially when I bump into my Harmon speakers and get the feedback/crackling.