Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hironohaha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
Hi all,
I am a student with little budget.
I bought this MBP 13" --im typing on it now--in August 2009, when I just got a fellowship.
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

So anyway,
this MBP had been working great for the past four years++.
...but it gets old, i think.
It is easily to get very hot...then, it becomes sooooo slow.
I also notice that the speaker isnt working properly, the sound it makes...it s not clean (?) --sorry English is not my first language, i couldnt express myself better.
The trackpad also, cannot be clicked, but it s not essential, since it still could properly recognize multitouch gesture.

Would you mind to give me advice,
should I repair it? if so, how much does it cost, approximately? I live in Tokyo, there are several Apple Store here. Is the cost standard, worldwide?
will it be cheaper to buy new one? (MBP, not MBA...i dont like the display)

...and
I couldnt do any DIY repair,
I most likely ruin this faithful companion of mine if I try to do so.

Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Personally, I would buy new. Your computer is 5 years old now so instead of sinking more money into it, I would buy new.

You could always sell your computer on ebay even with it's defects. You would still get a couple hundred dollars out of it.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Try to buy new or certified refurbished. I also have a mid-2009 (the 2.26ghz 13"), and it was time to replace it this past fall. I was able to give mine some life after a battery replacement, but it sounds like yours has more issues than mine.

I'd highly recommend the late-2013 (new currently) 13" MacBook Pro retina 2.4ghz i5 with 8gb of RAM and the 256gb solid state drive. It's the "best bang for your buck" as we say in the US. It's a good computer for a decent price. Either use the education discount if you still qualify or buy refurbished.

hironohaha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
Thank you :)
now all i need is, saving my stipend.
5 years, im so attached to this machine, couldnt bring myself to sell it.

so,
thank you.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
If you want to try taking it apart, redo the thermal paste on the CPU heatsink, replace the speaker, and check the trackpad. All the parts should only cost you about $25 total, not sure in Japanese currency.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Personally, I would buy new. Your computer is 5 years old now so instead of sinking more money into it, I would buy new.

You could always sell your computer on ebay even with it's defects. You would still get a couple hundred dollars out of it.

I have a late 2008 macbook pro 15" and I was trying to decide if I should send it in for repairs or just buy a new 2013 macbook pro 15, also. I'm going to wait for the back to school promotion.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I have a late 2008 macbook pro 15" and I was trying to decide if I should send it in for repairs or just buy a new 2013 macbook pro 15, also. I'm going to wait for the back to school promotion.
What's wrong with that? I have the same model so I have a bit of experience with it.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
What's wrong with that? I have the same model so I have a bit of experience with it.

nothing. but my motherboard needs to be repair and my battery only holds a charge for about one hour or 1 1/2 hours. my fathers recommends that I just buy a new computer.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
nothing. but my motherboard needs to be repair and my battery only holds a charge for about one hour or 1 1/2 hours. my fathers recommends that I just buy a new computer.

Oh. Well if it's the motherboard that has died then buying a new computer would probably be the overall best solution. Motherboards still run for 50-80% of the sale value of the computer :eek:

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Oh. Well if it's the motherboard that has died then buying a new computer would probably be the overall best solution. Motherboards still run for 50-80% of the sale value of the computer :eek:

my mistake it's the logic board ( i think that is what the genius bar had told me) that is bad and because I can't use the Ethernet port to get onto the internet. I now have to use my WiFi. I've already had to replace my hard drive because it had died.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
If buying a new one is hard for you I would think you are better off with 13 inches MacBook Air because it is cheap. Or you could find reasonable price from eBay? :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.